Random joke thread

Post your funnies here
SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Random joke thread

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:36 pm

A University education is a right, not a privilege and the rise in tuition fees is unjust, uncalled for and slightly abhorrent. When ~University fees first came in they were supposed to stay at around £3000 p/a, the tripling of the fees makes it even harder for poorer families to send their kids to Uni. In what way, shape or form should this be allowed in a progressive and open soceity? (I can afford to go to University btw) Our Government is careful not to discriminate against blacks, gays, jews, muslims et al, however it seems the poor are easy fodder for the current coalition Govt.

The reporting of the student protests was ridiculous too. There'll always be the stylish kids at the riot grabbing the spotlight and it was this that the right-wing media focused around instead of the actual reason for the protests. 95% of the protestors were protesting peacefully and the protest was based on legitimate concerns. The Government are bang out of order and the right-wing agenda peddled by the likes of the Mail, the Telegraph and the Sun just feeds hatred of the persecuted students, some of which are having their futures taken away.

Yes, there is a deficit. Yes, money needs to be raised. There are better ways to do this than make the higher education system even more elitist. Scrapping Trident would actually cover the budget deficit.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Asking people to pay back money to cover their education when they are earning a significant wage does not alter the right to a university education at the point of delivery. You can go and get a Uni education and work on the checkout at Tesco and never pay back a penny.

It remains a right. Indeed, you'll only pay it back now if you're earning even more cash than before. You used to start paying the money back at £15,000 - now THAT hurt, regardless of the amount you owed in total. You had to pay back a lot more per month than you will on a significantly lower wage.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm

fuck me, tell a joke you boring people :lol:

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:23 pm

What do you call a dog with two arseholes?

n'dubz

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:A University education is a right, not a privilege and the rise in tuition fees is unjust, uncalled for and slightly abhorrent. When ~University fees first came in they were supposed to stay at around £3000 p/a, the tripling of the fees makes it even harder for poorer families to send their kids to Uni. In what way, shape or form should this be allowed in a progressive and open soceity? (I can afford to go to University btw) Our Government is careful not to discriminate against blacks, gays, jews, muslims et al, however it seems the poor are easy fodder for the current coalition Govt.

The reporting of the student protests was ridiculous too. There'll always be the stylish kids at the riot grabbing the spotlight and it was this that the right-wing media focused around instead of the actual reason for the protests. 95% of the protestors were protesting peacefully and the protest was based on legitimate concerns. The Government are bang out of order and the right-wing agenda peddled by the likes of the Mail, the Telegraph and the Sun just feeds hatred of the persecuted students, some of which are having their futures taken away.

Yes, there is a deficit. Yes, money needs to be raised. There are better ways to do this than make the higher education system even more elitist. Scrapping Trident would actually cover the budget deficit.
Ethiaa wrote:Asking people to pay back money to cover their education when they are earning a significant wage does not alter the right to a university education at the point of delivery. You can go and get a Uni education and work on the checkout at Tesco and never pay back a penny.

It remains a right. Indeed, you'll only pay it back now if you're earning even more cash than before. You used to start paying the money back at £15,000 - now THAT hurt, regardless of the amount you owed in total. You had to pay back a lot more per month than you will on a significantly lower wage.
Exactly my point there Eth. Sheepy, you seem to be labouring under the same wave of delusion that half the student population who protested is under, there is no injustice or discrimination in these proposals - at least none that I'm aware of, and no-one has been able to successfully point any out to me. Everyone has still got the right to higher education, and as Ethiaa says, the repayment bar on the loans has actually been raised to be fairer.

It seems that a HUGE number of people are getting irate over a complete misperception of the actual facts. Crazy.

As to money to fill the deficit hole, we should have negotiated an agreement with banks so that they had to pay the bailout monies back before they could start paying themselves bonuses again. That would have made up the shortfall in double quick time.
Last edited by Gibbon on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

georgeyboyrovers
New signing

Post by georgeyboyrovers » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 pm

what do you call a police woman that shaves her downstairs ? cunt-stubble :king:

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 pm

SheepShagginRover wrote:What do you call a dog with two arseholes?

n'dubz
dog with two dicks tbf

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Gibbon wrote: It seems that a HUGE number of people are getting irate over a complete misperception of the actual facts. Crazy.
Pretty normal, from my experience. :D Do universities no longer award places based on exam results? I'm just a bit confused by this notion that everyone has a right to go to university. I don't think anyone should be prevented from taking the opportunity to go to university based on financial circumstances. However, there should be some practical purpose to going, and my feeling is that that has been forgotten about by the previous government setting targets for the number that should go. If people are going for the sake of it and not gaining any benefit from the education they receive, I'm not sure why it needs to be considered a 'right' to go.

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Roy Hodgson: the worst pool manager since Michael Barrymore.

SuperVukcevic
Regular international

Post by SuperVukcevic » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 am

Savory wrote:Roy Hodgson: the worst pool manager since Michael Barrymore.
:lol:

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:23 am

SuperKalinic wrote:
Savory wrote:Roy Hodgson: the worst pool manager since Michael Barrymore.
:lol:
Kenny Dalglish: (was) worst caretaker since Ian Huntley

SheepShagginRover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by SheepShagginRover » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 am

This is the transcript of the ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Canadians: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED By THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTERMEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:38 am

Tis funny, but a (rather old) fake. Good though.

georgeyboyrovers
New signing

Post by georgeyboyrovers » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:33 pm

[/quote]
Kenny Dalglish: (was) worst caretaker since Ian Huntley[/quote]
HAHA

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Why did the baker have brown hands?