New Section Proposal

Having problems or have questions about the boards? Beg for help here.
HealthwatchBwD
New signing

New Section Proposal

Post by HealthwatchBwD » Wed May 29, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi,

I am the Development Officer for Healthwatch Blackburn with Darwen. We’re a new independent third sector organisation designed to find out what local people think about their local Health and Social Care services within the Borough, and feed back public opinion to those who can improve services.

There is a large section of the community that visit this forum that may not have time, or the know-how, to give feedback.

Would it be possible to discuss including a section on this forum for members to discuss issues arounf Health and Social Care Services in BwD? i.e. dental issues, GP problems, Hospital issues, etc.

My email is info@healthwatchblackburnwithdarwen.co.uk, 01254 504985, or PM me on here.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: New Section Proposal

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 29, 2013 2:11 pm

"Can we take over some of your forum to do our own thing completely unrelated to the rest of your forum?"

How bizarre... :?

HealthwatchBwD
New signing

Post by HealthwatchBwD » Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Reading that back it may seem like that, so apologies as that’s not the idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of a section like this on another football forum (http://www.pne-online.net/forum/forumdi ... 5cea070571). Basically a section that informs Rovers fans of local services within the Borough and offers the opportunity to discuss.

It is not to do with Rovers football wise, more suited to the ‘anything else’ section on the forum. I’ve put it on here as it’s just a suggestion. Obviously if it’s not something the forum feels would be relevant or beneficial for the fans then I fully understand.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed May 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, I got your message, thanks. I was considering it. As RTT says, it's hardly core to our community but by the same token, I totally understand why you would want to develop discussion in other popular places to raise awareness, get access into hard to reach groups etc

My Roverstalk Admin head says no, my Mental Health Researcher head says yes :shrug:

HealthwatchBwD
New signing

Post by HealthwatchBwD » Wed May 29, 2013 3:43 pm

You’ve hit the nail on the head – hard to reach groups. Just from experience the average football fan doesn’t have time, or possibly the interest, to go to meetings, fill out questionnaires, visit health and social forums, etc.

The idea with this is to catch them where they’re most likely to visit, and if they see a topic of interest then great, if not then they don’t click on it.

As you can see from the PNE forum there is interest amongst the football community on issues outside of football (with one mental health topic started in Jan getting close to 5500 views). Viewers may not post a comment, but they will find out about services that may help them or friends/family.

I understand that your Rovers head should come first, but if you feel it may be something that would benefit the forum and the users then I’m more then happy to discuss and help manage if needed.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Tell you what, if you find me 50 or 60 people with bipolar disorder with a child between 2 and 10 years old (minimum of 10 hours contact time per week) interested in a web based psychological intervention combining support for self management of bipolar symptoms and the chance to develop or polish existing parenting skills then you're on!

Only joking. I'm leaning towards doing it, not least because I can advertise my own studies there. What did you have in mind - another section under Anything Goes? Did you have any initial content to start it with? Something to describe why we've got the section?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed May 29, 2013 3:55 pm

I don't see what the harm would be in having a thread in the existing "Other Things in Life" section. But if I want to raise a serious point about health care in Blackburn, my first port of call would be to get on Google and find a site about health care in Blackburn. Rather than log in to a football website. (Of course, there are plenty of people who use football websites to ask other people for information they could find themselves in the time it took to sign in and post.) The other thing is, I'm not sure how many members of the forum are local to Blackburn with Darwen?

Ultimately it's eth's call.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 pm

They don't want to get the views of the people who want to make a point about something and would go onto Google to search out how to do it. They want to get to the people who aren't aware of what the services even are, who haven't thought about getting involved in service redesign or assessment, and wouldn't get picked up through normal public engagement channels. I can totally see the logic behind it. Not sure it'll work but you know, I'm a social worker, it feels right :-)

HealthwatchBwD
New signing

Post by HealthwatchBwD » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Ethiaa wrote:They don't want to get the views of the people who want to make a point about something and would go onto Google to search out how to do it. They want to get to the people who aren't aware of what the services even are, who haven't thought about getting involved in service redesign or assessment, and wouldn't get picked up through normal public engagement channels. I can totally see the logic behind it. Not sure it'll work but you know, I'm a social worker, it feels right :-)
There are two points to this really, and you're both right (sitting on the fence somewhat). Rover the top does have a point with many forum users not being from within the Borough, but a lot of the info and organisations will be nationally, and at the very least within the county.

On one side we do want to get feedback on services. People may not want to put the effort in and complain, but if they can type a quick message in a forum they visit about an issue its quick and easy.

The other, and probably main side of it, is letting people know what services are out there as Ethiaa points out. There has been a lot of talk in the press over the last year regarding Mental Health specifically in football, but in reality how many people know the number of services available to help them?
Ethiaa wrote: Only joking. I'm leaning towards doing it, not least because I can advertise my own studies there. What did you have in mind - another section under Anything Goes? Did you have any initial content to start it with? Something to describe why we've got the section?
I was having mild heart palpitations just reading that. I'm guessing you’re looking for volunteers outside of the local area then?

I was thinking including another section under the 'anything goes' title called 'Health and Social Care Services'. I have scraps of initial content to start with which I can easily formulate into a few discussions this week, and can type a introduction to the section if needed.