Is it time for owen to go??? Well he's gone

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Is it time for owen to go???

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 am

mrblackbat wrote: But having 100 million of debt makes making a profit extremely difficult.
How so? I mean, obviously some loans have interest payments that need to be adhered to, which would eat into annual profits. But Venky's loan is interest free with no repayment date. Which, unless I'm missing something, makes it a balance sheet item rather than profit and loss.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 am

That much is true. The debt is an irrelevance at present.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:29 am

Ethiaa wrote:That much is true. The debt is an irrelevance at present.
It's may be irrelevant to turning a profit, but not in terms of the value of the club in the eyes of potential buyers

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 am

yankfan wrote:
Ethiaa wrote:That much is true. The debt is an irrelevance at present.
It's may be irrelevant to turning a profit, but not in terms of the value of the club in the eyes of potential buyers
That's like saying that our squad depth will be an issue in winning the Champions League :shrug:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 am

You mean: true?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 am

He means irrelevant at present because of the other obstacles that need to be dealt with first. Add more squad depth, and we still won't be in a position to win the CL, because we're not entered in it. Write off the debt, and we still won't see the club sold, because it's not for sale.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 pm

True AND irrelevant :D

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
WacoRover wrote:Exactly... there are potential losses and/or gains in any business. Sports businesses are as volatile as anything else.

However, I don't believe their 100 mil debt is all that is keeping Blackburn Rovers from getting new/better players.
Fans being dicks don't help either, nor the mercenary nature of modern footballers and their bloodsucking agents.

These "fans" are hurting the club they say they love. I guess everybody has to have a cause they believe in, even if they're wrong-headed.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:49 am

I asked a question on the other thread, about Coyle's tactics. This is probably the correct place.

Is Coyle basically a good manager tactically, or do we just want him gone because he managed Bolton & Burnley? Utilizing the existing talent- all that he has been given to use- is he a good enough football man to keep us up this season?

If not, I will be content to see him go at season's end, particularly, if "the right man" comes along.

RoverSteve
Promising youngster

Post by RoverSteve » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:45 am

WacoRover wrote:I asked a question on the other thread, about Coyle's tactics. This is probably the correct place.

Is Coyle basically a good manager tactically, or do we just want him gone because he managed Bolton & Burnley? Utilizing the existing talent- all that he has been given to use- is he a good enough football man to keep us up this season?

If not, I will be content to see him go at season's end, particularly, if "the right man" comes along.
In answer to your first question, I dont really care that he's managed Burnley, Bolton or Wigan, but his career best was at Burnley, getting them promoted, but since then he has about a 35% win percentage, with us its actually at 29%. Our problems tactically have been consistently the same all season. we cant defend. its obvious to all of us, and while we did look a bit surer with Hoban in the team, we just havent been able to sure up the defence.

i think he'll be gone at the end of the season regardless of where we end up. the fans have never been on his side and this season has been pretty torrid. As to if we can stay up with Owen Coyle as manager, a lot of this depends on if we beat Burton on friday. I still think slightly more than 50 points would be enough to keep us up. That's 7 wins and a couple of draws, Owen Coyle has to be looking at the game as one we can win.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am

WacoRover wrote:I asked a question on the other thread, about Coyle's tactics. This is probably the correct place.

I don't think he's an exceptional tactician, don't think he's the worst. Our main problem is that the tools available to him aren't fit for purpose. There's no point in trying to develop some visionary tactical master plan when you haven't got the players to suit the system. Henning Berg tried that and lasted 10 games, didn't even get chance to add the players to make his ideas work. The four managers since then have all been very back-to-basics with how we set up. But the quality of our playing staff has diminished, the guy on the touchline can't do much about imperfect players playing imperfectly.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Obviously best to replace him though, cause it's worked the previous five times.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Obviously best to replace him though, cause it's worked the previous five times.
Thanks, Roverthetop, I appreciate the help.

Mrblackbat, I'm not saying that...I'm asking is he good enough at what he does, to take the talent he has & make it better? Because I know we don't have any money to go out and buy any new/better talent. I realize he got a couple of clubs promoted.

I know we're dealing with an imperfect situation here.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I actually ranted in the other thread :lol:

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:44 pm

mcteeth wrote:I actually ranted in the other thread :lol:

Gotcha, mcteeth. Good points, all!