The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Did this promotion deserve it's own thread?

Yes
3
25%
No
0
No votes
What's your pleasure?
1
8%
Everyone around the world come on!
0
No votes
Woo-hoo!
0
No votes
It's a celebration
1
8%
Celebrate good times COME ON!
1
8%
There's a party going on right here, a dedication to last through out the years
1
8%
Let's all celebrate and have a good time!
0
No votes
It's time to come together
1
8%
It's up to you
0
No votes
Putting Kool and the Gang on repeat for 24 hours
1
8%
Why no creative options about kestrels, gibbons, Igor Tudor, arable farming, or the likes of celebrating Nordic bakeware
2
17%
42
0
No votes
________________
1
8%
Making Eddie Vedder and the Fibbin' Gibbons the official Roverstalk band
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:58 am

So wait, this was all practice? Are we in here talkin' 'bout practice? I mean, listen, we talkin' 'bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice. Not the game that they go out there and die for, and play every game like it's their last. Not the game, we talkin' 'bout practice?

What are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice. Not the game?

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14762
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:38 am
Surely that was the real work too. This is just the next bit of real work.
This was the rectification of a screw up. Like if, whilst building an extension on a house, a builder accidentally cause a wall to fall down. They'd have to remedy it, and then the actual work would start.

:lol:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27155
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:58 am
So wait, this was all practice? Are we in here talkin' 'bout practice? I mean, listen, we talkin' 'bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice. Not the game that they go out there and die for, and play every game like it's their last. Not the game, we talkin' 'bout practice?

What are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice. Not the game?
We've had quite a few in recent years who've played like it should be their last game... :yeahright:

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm
Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:58 am
So wait, this was all practice? Are we in here talkin' 'bout practice? I mean, listen, we talkin' 'bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin' 'bout practice. Not the game that they go out there and die for, and play every game like it's their last. Not the game, we talkin' 'bout practice?

What are we talkin' 'bout? Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice. Not the game?
We've had quite a few in recent years who've played like it should be their last game... :yeahright:
That was probably when we were being managed by Tony Mobury. Now we have Tony 'No Baloney' Mowbray at the helm.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by stillgrowling » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Can anyone give me one good reason why we shouldn't equal or even surpass what PNE have achieved this season?
This time next year bruv...................

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2389
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by WacoRover » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Blackburn...Bolton (if they stay up)...Preston...& Wigan...

4 clubs in the Championship next year, 1/6 of the league, each within about 15 miles of each other? I am sure one of you have a more accurate mileage figure, but thats really a lot of clubs in a small area.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14762
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 pm

There used to regularly be 8 North West teams in the Premier League. We've had this conversation before. And before that as well....

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13598
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:35 am

The PL only got them on loan though rather than buying them. And look where that got them!

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14762
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:35 am

Everyone knows loaning is better. They now have more southern teams where people are richer! And teams from Dubai!

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2389
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by WacoRover » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 pm
There used to regularly be 8 North West teams in the Premier League. We've had this conversation before. And before that as well....
I remember... I’m just not from there, & its amazing when you look at it on the map, & how many clubs are fighting for fans in a small, geographical area. It would be like having 4 NFL teams here in Waco, Temple, Belton, & Killeen.

User avatar
Murder in Room 229
New signing
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Murder in Room 229 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:11 am

Well you made it back and that's good. A team like Blackburn shouldn't be in the third league of English football and you made it back at the first attempt. Think there's still a chance of finishing first on the last weekend but you've secured promotion first and foremost.

Look forward to being back next season on here and discussing our games. Could very easily have finished outside the top six altogether (I accept League One is a tough league) but you did what was needed and return to the Championship at first time of asking. Congrats again.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14762
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:15 am

WacoRover wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:46 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 pm
There used to regularly be 8 North West teams in the Premier League. We've had this conversation before. And before that as well....
I remember... I’m just not from there, & its amazing when you look at it on the map, & how many clubs are fighting for fans in a small, geographical area. It would be like having 4 NFL teams here in Waco, Temple, Belton, & Killeen.
However the population densities are also massively different, 1,250 people per square mile in Lancashire against 227 ppsm in McLennan County, and they're not too dissimilar sizes.

If you were to add in Merseyside and Greater Manchester (both around 5,600 ppsm) that disparity would increase further.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLennan_County,_Texas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire

User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4096
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Murder in Room 229 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:11 am
Well you made it back and that's good. A team like Blackburn shouldn't be in the third league of English football and you made it back at the first attempt. Think there's still a chance of finishing first on the last weekend but you've secured promotion first and foremost.

Look forward to being back next season on here and discussing our games. Could very easily have finished outside the top six altogether (I accept League One is a tough league) but you did what was needed and return to the Championship at first time of asking. Congrats again.
Thanks...the first half of the season was hit and miss with some embarrassing defeats. However the squad was then heading in the right direction around the turn of the year. Tony Mowbray's influence over the squad began to grow but it wasnt until January until he brought in some more loanees who helped us catch up the deficit on the automatic promotion places.
Regarding the standard in league one well it perhaps says a lot that two of the relegated championship clubs from last season have come straight back. The other relegated club Rotherham stand a good chance of returning via the play offs.
On the subject of Tony Mowbray there has been rumours that Ipswich might be interested in taking him as replacement for Mick McCarthy. From a fans point of view how do you feel about that?

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14762
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 am

Think he already mentioned that in the sack race thread, Darth....

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 am
Contact:

Re: The Blackburn Rovers 'We Are Going Up' Celebration Thread

Post by Duggywerefab » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:44 pm

All,

Bloody 'ell, we did it!!!

Sorry for the radio silence, I was away as usual, someday I will stop and smell the weeds....

I must admit, I was pretty depressed at the end of last season, back to the 1970s again but with worse pies. Another bloody manager off the "he failed at XXXX United/City/Town/Wanderers etc and we want him?" shelf, but I failed to recognize the great but unsuccessful late run of games in the Championship last year for what it implied.

It turns out, this bloke can actually lead a football team to success, whoda thowt?

Not knowing the details, I hope it was him who persuaded Graham and Mulgrew to hang around and who saw the potential in Dack, they and Armstrong are the keepers, the rest did their job so let them go and help someone else do the same thing in Div 1 next year. Now he has to find players who have proven they can live week by week in the Championship, not just "hope" the good ones can raise their game. Waco would know the quote, "Hope is not a strategy".

I am dead chuffed, though being a Lancastrian and a meg-decade Rovers sufferer it's often hard to be positive(!). It's great for the town, especially with Accy's promotion too and for the fans who spent so many miserable hours and so much money supporting what had become an embarrassment of a club in the last few years.

But as we all know, real supporters don't switch to a more attractive option, they support through thick and thin. Well we've just had about 5 years of thin, here's to a few years of thick! Starting with keeping Mowbray, keeping Venky's in their place and just signing cheques, keeping the few known-quality players and keeping all of us cheering next season!

Suppin to celebrate! Now lets hear from Star and OOJW, who also went dark this season, come on mates, heads out of the oven, we're up!!

Duggy

Post Reply