Paul Ince appointed as New Rovers Manager

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Paul Ince appointed as New Rovers Manager

Post by Ethiaa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:07 pm

If you don't care what we think, why are you posting about it here? It was very nice anyway, thanks.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:09 pm

To be fair, I think dude was just preparing himself for an onslaught of disagreement and he's just covering his arse. ;)

The way I see it, if we were to sack Ince then all the stuff about "Blackburn were so brave to appoint a black manager" would be negated, but that's the sort of thing we can't afford to be thinking about. But it's still something to think about. We showed faith in Ince and it'd be a little bad to show such 'brutality' to sack him at this point.

Personally, I think we should give him until the end of the season. I want to see what happens in January. I reckon he'll sign Pennant, that's 90% done as far as I'm concerned, but it'll be interesting to see who else he buys.

I have faith! 8)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't see why Pennant will come here when he blatantly said he didn't want to in the summer. Also, I don't think any arguments regarding race could come into play considering we'd be sacking a manager who currently has our club in a relegation position. Not that I'm saying we should sack him immediately; just that you couldn't argue much in his defence if we did.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Pennant isn't left with much of an option. I think the noises Benitez has been making are that he'll be sold and there's only (reportedly) us and Stoke in for him, so who would you choose?

I wasn't saying we can't sack him because we appointed a black manager and all that, I just think, with the straight-thinking board we have, that it'd be something to consider on their part. I personally think we'll stick with him until the end of the season; relegated or not.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:32 pm

And just to add to that, I don't think we'll go down. Not a chance. :)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:41 pm

Play like we did in that second half much more and we will.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:48 pm

I believe we'll be fine. That performance is the first one where Ince has actually come out and said he was disappointed with everyone except Roque and Samba. I think the message is finally hitting home. It's the first time he hasn't made some excuse about internationals or "We played well, but didn't get what we deserved."

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:58 pm

I don't know why he wasn't disappointed with Roque either. He was far worse than either Andrews or Pedersen were. And there's no way you could say we didn't get the result we deserved in that match, we got utterly battered in the second half.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:01 pm

We did. I agree. I think he said Roque was "out of this world" because he's trying some desperate tactic to keep him here.

We all know he'll be off at the end of the season, if not January. :cry:

That was the point of the new contract, in my opinion.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Really? I don't think he will, he hasn't particularly shown much form yet this season, and doesn't seem inclined to go either.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:27 pm

His form is down to the fact he's had no service whatsoever, which is our downfall. I don't think a potential manager would look at him and think "well, he hasn't scored many, I won't buy him". It's clear that he's got quality, whether he's scoring or not. He still puts in 110% and any onlooking manager will look at him and say, "well, if I bring him into my team then he'll flourish."

He'll go. Whether it's January or at the end of the season, he's offskis.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Well I don't think he will at all.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Then we can refer back to this topic to prove...

I WIN. :D

African Rover
Promising youngster

Post by African Rover » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Gotta agree with willy on that. I think ince convinced roque to give us one more season and maybe get uefa cup. And i think the new contract was more about ending speculation than anything else. But i do think he'll be with us for the rest of the season. Then we'll be saying cheers to him and i honestly wouldn't hold anything against him unlike bentley.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:42 pm

I agree with you, but I didn't hold anything against Bentley, either. He's still one of my fave players, even if he is a conceited shit. It's not as if we didn't know he was a big-headed twat when he was here. He's been like that since he was at Arsenal, that's why they let him go.

I can see him being here for the rest of the year, too. But he'll be off in June/July.