Rovers v Sunderland

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Rovers v Sunderland

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:57 am

So, after our breaking our win-less streak with cup glory at Sunderland, we now return to league matters with the visit of... Sunderland.

Can we beat the same side twice in one week? If football could be theorised, everything looks in our favour - we've beaten them once, we now have home advantage, we should be fielding a stronger, refreshed side whilst their players might not be in the best condition having played last night. We've also got a great record against sides from the North East in recent years, and they've lost their last four in all competitions.

So, it'll probably be a draw.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Rovers v Sunderland

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:00 am

WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS! :hyper:

fitz808
Valued squad member
Location: who knows. athens or london, depending on the day of the week...

Post by fitz808 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:02 am

it's a tricky one to call... i'm gonna go for a win though. maybe 2-1 again

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 am

3-1 to us. Keane sent to the stands. :scratch:

Heysham Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Heysham Rover » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:17 am

I think it will be a composed, confident and comfortable win 2-0 to the Rovers. Just checked over on BRFCs for the first time in ages, jesus those guys love to hate Ince. Seems every cloud has a massive angry black lining with them - tossers!!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 am

Uh-huh, I believe the complaint now is that although we won, we weren't convincing enough. :numpty;

Heysham Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Heysham Rover » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 am

I know its brilliant, we were also 'lucky'. I read back and it seems a lot of posters were disgusted that Ince has remarked on the bad luck we have suffered, the games not about luck it seems. So now us being lucky is a feasable argument. I honestly think a few would love us to go down and then run round screaming 'told you so'!!!

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I think our first team will beat Sunderland. And probably convincingly. If we don't win, we're in a spot of bother.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:26 pm

There was someone promising to do just that on 606 yesterday. His argument seemed to be that he didn't want Ince in the first place, so was unwilling to give him a chance and wanted him sacked now. Although my favourite rants are the 'if we lose the next x number of games which on paper we're likely to win, we'll be in trouble' ones - I find it hard to know where to start responding to someone who's criticising Ince for something that hasn't happened and isn't expected to happen. What happens if we thrash Sunderland on Saturday? No doubt the moaners will complain that it was only one result. ;)

We've won 6, drawn 4 and lost 5 of our 15 games under Ince. I don't know how people have stayed as Rovers fans for so long if that is unacceptable in their view.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:28 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I think our first team will beat Sunderland. And probably convincingly. If we don't win, we're in a spot of bother.
Rover the Top wrote:There was someone promising to do just that on 606 yesterday. His argument seemed to be that he didn't want Ince in the first place, so was unwilling to give him a chance and wanted him sacked now. Although my favourite rants are the 'if we lose the next x number of games which on paper we're likely to win, we'll be in trouble' ones - I find it hard to know where to start responding to someone who's criticising Ince for something that hasn't happened and isn't expected to happen. What happens if we thrash Sunderland on Saturday? No doubt the moaners will complain that it was only one result. ;)
hee hee! :D

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Yeah, nearly added 'see above' when the preview post came up. I'm always wary of being over-confident about a game, but given that our reserves have just beaten the team we're about to face, I'll only worry about what happens 'if we lose' if we lose.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Tee hee all you like, if we don't win this one it'll be another team that we should beat at home that we haven't. This would be bad.

I still think we'll win though.

Heysham Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Heysham Rover » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:55 pm

I think Ince has done alright so far to be fair, we are a point behind the saviour's side who have spent roughly £50ml (although the new argument is they arent Hughes players!!) and of our 6 home games we have lost 3 (all to the current top 3) did we really expect to get anything from them!!

I wasnt convinced about Ince when he first got the job but I have been pleasantly surprised so far likewise with Andrews.

I honestly wonder why some people spend upwards of £250 and give up hours of their time to work theirselves into a right state, bizzarre. It also seems the army of Rovers armchair fans that have the most problem with the teams current plight

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:03 pm

I'd check the league table again, HR - we're on level points with Shitty. ;) Everton fans were getting twitchy a few games ago, but a few wins later they're up in 7th. The league is way too close to place extra significance on the result of one game. What sort of trouble will we be in if we don't win on Saturday, but then pick up 30 points from the next ten matches?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 pm

It's an accumulation of matches though; if you're already writing off the Chelsea/Manure/Liverpool/Le Arse as not worth worrying about if we lose, then you have to consider the games against Sunderland/Hull/WBA/Bolton/Boro as must wins, else where are you really expecting of picking up the points to compete?