Rovers v Sunderland

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Rovers v Sunderland

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Dr Rover wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
Dr Rover wrote:Playing players out of position is never going to work in the long term.

We had a centre half playing in midfield, a left back in central midfield, a right back at left back, a centre midfielder playing on the right wing and a joker upfront. Then we brought Derbyshire on and played him right wing even though he has shown time and time and time and time and time again that it doesnt work. Add to that the fact Simpson is utter shit at right back, we are are in real bad shape.

But, the most disappointing thing for me is that when Sunderland got in the ascendancy in the second half, not one of our players realised they had to get their foot on the ball and just pass it simple. Everyone was trying to go for the killer ball everytime and all that led to was really us lumping it upto Roque.

We may have a lot of injuries but there is no excuse for a performance like that
Sorry, but Mokoena has never been a centre half. He's covered there, badly, but there's no way you could call him a centre back.

Other than that, fair enough analysis.

You don't need to be sorry that you are wrong mate ;)

I'm pretty sure if YOU were to ask Mokoena where his best position was, he;d say centre half. I know this cause I have asked it him myself. Whether he is good enough to play in the premiership at centre half is another story - but in my opinion he isnt good enough to play as a defensive midfieler in the premiership. Also, he pretty much played exclusively as a centre half before joining us.

Anyway, that is a pointless debate. The real thing of concern is that the team arnt playing anywhere near their potential. Taking no notice of the very serious problems we have a the club is a one way street to relegation. That isnt to say that I want Ince sacked - but I do want to see him making better decisions. Starting off with playing players in their actual positions
I'm pretty sure if you asked Mokoena he'd say he thinks he can play football too.

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:12 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Dr Rover wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
Dr Rover wrote:Playing players out of position is never going to work in the long term.

We had a centre half playing in midfield, a left back in central midfield, a right back at left back, a centre midfielder playing on the right wing and a joker upfront. Then we brought Derbyshire on and played him right wing even though he has shown time and time and time and time and time again that it doesnt work. Add to that the fact Simpson is utter shit at right back, we are are in real bad shape.

But, the most disappointing thing for me is that when Sunderland got in the ascendancy in the second half, not one of our players realised they had to get their foot on the ball and just pass it simple. Everyone was trying to go for the killer ball everytime and all that led to was really us lumping it upto Roque.

We may have a lot of injuries but there is no excuse for a performance like that
Sorry, but Mokoena has never been a centre half. He's covered there, badly, but there's no way you could call him a centre back.

Other than that, fair enough analysis.

You don't need to be sorry that you are wrong mate ;)

I'm pretty sure if YOU were to ask Mokoena where his best position was, he;d say centre half. I know this cause I have asked it him myself. Whether he is good enough to play in the premiership at centre half is another story - but in my opinion he isnt good enough to play as a defensive midfieler in the premiership. Also, he pretty much played exclusively as a centre half before joining us.

Anyway, that is a pointless debate. The real thing of concern is that the team arnt playing anywhere near their potential. Taking no notice of the very serious problems we have a the club is a one way street to relegation. That isnt to say that I want Ince sacked - but I do want to see him making better decisions. Starting off with playing players in their actual positions
I'm pretty sure if you asked Mokoena he'd say he thinks he can play football too.
touche

mancrover
Regular international

Post by mancrover » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:05 pm

If we where to bite the bullet and get shut of ince who realistically have we got to choose from? as mentioned previously there don't seem to be a lot of options out there, my patience is almost at an end with ince but i'm concerned if we get shut we will only be jumping out the frying pan into the fire.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:29 pm

The moment Ince decided the best option to try to turn around a 2-1 deficit was to go one up front with a striker at right wing and a left back at left wing was the day I realised he hasn't got a fucking clue and we need to advertise his job pronto

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Rover the Moon wrote:The moment Ince decided the best option to try to turn around a 2-1 deficit was to go one up front with a striker at right wing and a left back at left wing was the day I realised he hasn't got a fucking clue and we need to advertise his job pronto
It is quite a convincing argument, I have to admit.

Willy
Ageing international

Post by Willy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:55 pm

:shock:

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Rover the Moon wrote:The moment Ince decided the best option to try to turn around a 2-1 deficit was to go one up front with a striker at right wing and a left back at left wing was the day I realised he hasn't got a fucking clue and we need to advertise his job pronto
It is quite a convincing argument, I have to admit.
As much as I hate to agree with baldy... I gotta agree too

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 pm

Anyone read Ince's statement on Sky Sports?

He's basically blaming the players and has finally used a Souness cliche;
Paul Ince wrote:stand up and be counted

We're fucked.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:28 am

Pointless getting rid of a manager at this point. Long term good managers are not the ones brought in to save a sinking ship, they are the ones that are given seasons to work with players and learn. That said, Curbs is available.

unclejack28
New signing

Post by unclejack28 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:49 am

just read this by ince

"It can't always come from the staff and the management, it has got to come from them. They are the ones out there."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/?q=conten ... ders-pitch

and in the same article he asks for leaders...

this guy is really a fucktard... how williams choose him id never know... but we really are fucked with a clown like this managing our team

bring on tottenham

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 am

I think he has a point. You can criticise tactics and selections all you want, they're irrelevant if the players themselves cannot be arsed to even try to follow their instructions. People moan about players being out of position, but Hughes did the same. That shouldn't prevent players from being able to do basics like pass to a team-mate. At the same time, I have to wonder what he's watching when he pulled Andrews and Pedersen off instead of Simpson and Warnock.

fitz808
Valued squad member
Location: who knows. athens or london, depending on the day of the week...

Post by fitz808 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 am

i imagine the reson why Williams chose to go with ince was the cost...
anyway, it seemed like it was a pretty poor performance on saturday, but that's going to happen, so i'm a bit bemused by the reaction from a lot of you to be honest. we're not world-beaters and we also have a large number of injuries to key players. to me, that equals a few defeats so i'm not massively surprised by this.
ince is clearly not the best manager in the world, but he will not be the worst either. i think we've all commented that we've played some decent football this season, and whilst we are conceding too many goals at the moment, we are not the worst team in the league. are we one of the worst 3 teasms in the league... i don't know. personally i don't think so. i start every season recognising that relegation is a possibility and it is just that right now - a possibility. i think it's an unlikely one, exactly as i thought at the start of the season.
a couple of players back, allowing us to play people in the correct positions, the addition of a right winger, a bit more of a fixed team and we'll be back in business. daggers away chaps

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:36 am

fitz808 wrote:i imagine the reson why Williams chose to go with ince was the cost...
I think it was as he said - Ince was a young manager eager to prove himself, just like Hughes was. I suppose the moaners would have preferred us to appoint an experienced flop like Allardyce or McClaren?

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 am

The players are under performing. However you have to question the nous of someone who keeps on bringing on Derbyshire to operate as a winger

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 am

Like Hughes always did?

Just out of interest, who would people put on the right wing? Since whoever Ince chooses seems to be the wrong choice.