Rovers v Sunderland

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Rovers v Sunderland

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:11 pm

ethiaa wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:
ethiaa wrote:Well I wouldn't take the 66 - wrong side of Manchester. But anyway, there are plenty of other clubs in the same financial situation as us in the premiership - fucked as you put it - so that leaves us about where we are.
So we need to get £5 mill compensation for Ince next year, and sell someone else for £15 mill to stay afloat? Really? Oh dear....
Um, no, it was you that said that mate, not me. I said we are in the same financial boat as other premiership teams.
Ah sorry, misread. So in other words, we should have had some cash left over from those to spend. So the "oooo we're so poor we can only afford League 2 players" argument is crap.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:26 pm

Who said we could only afford League 2 players? :-? We can't afford the top players, even the likes of Santa Cruz was a risk that has turned out well for us (if he was such a great signing, why were you so opposed to it? ;))

We spend £3m-£4m on our biggest signings these days. Everyone else spends more than that just to ensure they get some average talent in. Obviously we've got more than value for money in recent years, but to start expecting that will always be the case is a mistake.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:32 pm

*sigh*

I was being overly facetious following Mr Garner's Pint's comments. IE moaning about not being able to strengthen the team through lack of revenue, rather than the fact we've spent it mostly on players who have failed to improve the squad.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 pm

mrblackbat wrote:*sigh*
Yikes! Plague! :shock: Quarantined for tonight!

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:44 pm

mrblackbat wrote:*sigh*

I was being overly facetious following Mr Garner's Pint's comments. IE moaning about not being able to strengthen the team through lack of revenue, rather than the fact we've spent it mostly on players who have failed to improve the squad.
Like all those midfielders we have you mean? ;)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Exactamundo! :hyper:

Though the point I was making in that still stands; they're mostly cover players that have been brought in, so they're doing their job of covering (with the exception of Grella who's setting a new standard in sicknotes).

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:52 pm

So does my point - they aren't good enough :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:58 pm

But then as we also discussed in the thread, you wouldn't be able to keep quality players at a club like Rovers who were there purely as backup. If Mr Garner's Fresh Pint was arguing this point, I'd agree. But his point was about attracting quality players who'd obviously come into the first team, and I see no reason why we can't attract the same quality of players as Boro, Bolton, West Ham, Fulham et al, nor should we really be financially unable to make signings of these sort of players.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Indeed, no point buying backup - always look to improve.

I never disagreed with you on being able to attract decent players - and given the various degrees of piles of shit we have we should be able to free up wages by cutting some fools loose. You seem to have a persecution complex :D

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:31 pm

I do live in the same house as RTT remember. ;)

garnersfreshpint
Promising youngster

Post by garnersfreshpint » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Ok so point taken on the 62 thing, I just feel a bit pissed off and let down by the amount of rovers fans who are talking about sacking ince already.

And yes, we shouldnt have to sell a player, and receive compo every season to stay afloat. But at the moment whats paying our teams wages, is the sky premier league money. (i have no idea of the exact fee) Its around 30 million. So for example if the shit did hit the fan and we were relagated thats a massive shortfall in income, also all of our playes would be de-valued.

The blackburn board are not ready to splash the cash, In fear of running our "small town" club into the ground. and I dont blame them.

Yes things are going a bit shit up at the moment, but i challenge any manager to put a team of 11 players together, all in ther natural postions, with 6 or 7 first team players injured/suspended/unavailable. As for Grella, Yes he has been a sicknote so far but give him a chance. He was still relatively cheap in terms of what players cost these days. As long as the 30million a player world continues, we are all doomed to look forward to just surviving.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Rover the Moon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Nobody wants Ince sacked as far as I can tell and if they do it's just their opinion. Isn't that why we are here?

The real issue for me is lack of confidence. From the shambolic way he has directed the team so far I have no confidence in him and feel that IF results do not improve he should get the big e. I feel if we do not get at least 4 points from Wigan and Stoke then he should go because frankly his decision making leaves a lot to be desired regardless of the limp injury excuse when we have a squad of over 30 players.

Against Sunderland we could easily have gone with a far more balanced side. With all bar Oijjer playing in their natural position, but in a position he has done OK in in the past. Or even put Zurab there and Oijjer in the middle

Blobinson

Oijjer Samba Zurab Warnock

Villaneuva Tugay Mokoena/Andrews Pedersen

Cruz Derbyshire/Roberts

Maybe I'll apply for Ince's job as football is a simple game that requires simple decisions. ;)

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Rover the Moon wrote:Nobody wants Ince sacked as far as I can tell and if they do it's just their opinion. Isn't that why we are here?

The real issue for me is lack of confidence. From the shambolic way he has directed the team so far I have no confidence in him and feel that IF results do not improve he should get the big e. I feel if we do not get at least 4 points from Wigan and Stoke then he should go because frankly his decision making leaves a lot to be desired regardless of the limp injury excuse when we have a squad of over 30 players.

Against Sunderland we could easily have gone with a far more balanced side. With all bar Oijjer playing in their natural position, but in a position he has done OK in in the past. Or even put Zurab there and Oijjer in the middle

Blobinson

Oijjer Samba Zurab Warnock

Villaneuva Tugay Mokoena/Andrews Pedersen

Cruz Derbyshire/Roberts

Maybe I'll apply for Ince's job as football is a simple game that requires simple decisions. ;)
That's the exact team I would've expected to see Ince play at the weekend. Granted, we are down to the bare bones of our squad, but there is still enough quality there to play players in their natural positions (with the exception of RW, where I think Carlos could've done a job) and get the right results.

I think I've only seen one person on here calling for Ince to be sacked, with alot of other supporters expressing their concerns about the decisions he is making at the moment. I dont see anything wrong with that. Like it or not, the decisions he's making at the moment arn't leading to points

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Apart from a few simpleton posts on the official board spouting "get Ince out", I haven't seen that many sensible people seriously suggesting that Ince should be sacked right now.

I personally have had reservations ever since Ince named his backroom staff and signed Robbie Fowler, but I would still give him until December. If we are in the bottom three by then though he HAS to go. That's not fickle, that's business.

garnersfreshpint
Promising youngster

Post by garnersfreshpint » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 pm

dont remember villanueva being right footed?

A 40 year old midfielder and a slow as fuck, couldnt trap a bag of sand waster so called "axe"?

Ill keep my faith in Ince thanks...