Rovers v Sunderland

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
garnersfreshpint
Promising youngster

Re: Rovers v Sunderland

Post by garnersfreshpint » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Ridiculous comments. Tugay can still play - as he proved when he came on last Saturday. You dont NEED to be quick when you have his football brain and the ability to put the ball whereever you want it. And having an enforcer alongside him to do his running, give the ball to him as much as possible is one way of compensating for his age. Plus, a dynamic midfielder like Andrews along side him would also be complimentary i think
The point is Tugay would cause more problems playing a full game for us, than he would the opposition (we have seen what his tired legs can do to us, cant remember the team it was against but remember the two yellows in quick succession last year). I agree that he is a master of the game, and that if you put an enforcer next to him, you see the best of him. Andrews is definatly not an enforcer and mokoena is not the answer to this question. Aaron, i like the guy but he cannot pass, control a ball, he has no vision, and he cannot read the game... In my opinion he does not have the intellegence to be a midfielder or the quality for the type of football Ince is trying to play. Warnock can read the game a lot better, and even tho he is playing out of position he generally is a lot better of an option than mokoena. Really, we saw Aarons best days for this football club, in the days of the "kick em out" football under Hughes. I feel if we get in the same position he may be useful again.

The stupid fans who think they can put a marker on Ince so early into his tenure, are completely misguided. Even Kidd got 12 months

Dr Rover
Valued squad member

Post by Dr Rover » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:14 pm

garnersfreshpint wrote:
Ridiculous comments. Tugay can still play - as he proved when he came on last Saturday. You dont NEED to be quick when you have his football brain and the ability to put the ball whereever you want it. And having an enforcer alongside him to do his running, give the ball to him as much as possible is one way of compensating for his age. Plus, a dynamic midfielder like Andrews along side him would also be complimentary i think
The point is Tugay would cause more problems playing a full game for us, than he would the opposition (we have seen what his tired legs can do to us, cant remember the team it was against but remember the two yellows in quick succession last year). I agree that he is a master of the game, and that if you put an enforcer next to him, you see the best of him. Andrews is definatly not an enforcer and mokoena is not the answer to this question. Aaron, i like the guy but he cannot pass, control a ball, he has no vision, and he cannot read the game... In my opinion he does not have the intellegence to be a midfielder or the quality for the type of football Ince is trying to play. Warnock can read the game a lot better, and even tho he is playing out of position he generally is a lot better of an option than mokoena. Really, we saw Aarons best days for this football club, in the days of the "kick em out" football under Hughes. I feel if we get in the same position he may be useful again.

The stupid fans who think they can put a marker on Ince so early into his tenure, are completely misguided. Even Kidd got 12 months
I actually think Warnock has been excellent in centre midfield. That isnt my problem. My problem is that he would be better served at left back, instead of playing a right back there, or a young lad who really isnt upto the job at the moment, especially as we have pretty good cover in the centre of the park. Add to that the fact that Simpson has looked god aweful at right back and we end up with a weak defence when that is the one area of the park we shouldnt be comprimising on at the moment.

Instead of messing around with a position we have plenty of cover in, Ince needs to find a solution to our right wing problem (and that isnt anything to do with the BNP). That does require someone to play out of position. I personally think Villaneava would be a good option there.

I just think you are getting worked up for nothing. There haven't been that many people calling for Ince to be sacked at the moment, but people are allowed to vent their concerns. That is, indeed, what forums like this are for. You can't deny that Ince inherited a top 10 squad from Hughes, and that we havent been performing anywhere near our potential this year. There are areas of the squad that are weak, and that Ince hasnt addressed,.. yet.

I've said a number of times that I think Ince will get it right. I'm not saying he should be sacked. But i do have real concerns with his decisions at the moment. Making mistakes isnt the issue for me - but he has to learn from them. Managing a the top level is a real steep learning curve, and yes, Ince is learning. But he needs to start taking responsibility for his decisions, and admit to himself when he gets it wrong. That's the only way he'll grow as a top flight manager. At the moment, my problem is that Ince doesnt seem to be learning, and is keeping making the same mistakes over again.

Anyhoo, i think the next few games will be really important in our season as a whole. Lets all get behind the team - thats the important thing

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 pm

The difference between Ince and Hodgeson is that Hodgeson was proven at the top level, Ince clearly was recruited as a total gamble and doesn't look to be paying off at all.

Does this suggest we should have less patience with him that someone like Allardyce and McClaren would have gotten in this situation?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 am

It's immaterial - we'll stick with him anyway.

fitz808
Valued squad member
Location: who knows. athens or london, depending on the day of the week...

Post by fitz808 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:58 am

did ince inherit a top 10 squad? i think with no friedel and no bentley, i would possibly disagree with that. anyway, in the interests of moving on, there are clearly mistakes he has made, but i think injuries and errors from some of the players are putting a bit of additional pressure on him.
i don't think we'll play as bad as sunderland 2nd half many times this season, and therefore should start picking up points.

ariversider
Promising youngster

Post by ariversider » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:23 am

fitz808 wrote:did ince inherit a top 10 squad? i think with no friedel and no bentley, i would possibly disagree with that. anyway, in the interests of moving on, there are clearly mistakes he has made, but i think injuries and errors from some of the players are putting a bit of additional pressure on him.
i don't think we'll play as bad as sunderland 2nd half many times this season, and therefore should start picking up points.
But the problem is we did play as badly in the second half in a game we could have won. If we play well against the like of Liverpool, Man U, we're still likely to end up on the losing side. But playing badly against teams we could beat if we play well, will only result in a long hard season. We need to be consistent, somethong that Saturdays game proved we're anything but.