Rovers vs Stoke

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover The Line
Promising youngster

Rovers vs Stoke

Post by Rover The Line » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:28 am

Will Ince be incharge?
Will we finally be victorious? :hyper:
Who will take charge if Ince out?

mancrover
Regular international

Re: Rovers vs Stoke

Post by mancrover » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:39 am

No
No
No idea :lol:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:40 am

Well if Ince goes there doesn't look like there's anyone in the backroom staff with the experience or capability to do anything which indicates to me they have to get someone in before the game.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 am

I wonder what would happen if we just let the captain pick the team and tacics, just for one match? :scratch:

mancrover
Regular international

Post by mancrover » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 am

Anyone think we should go down the newcastle route and get in an interim manager to give the club time to find the right man or if in the newcastle case end up being the right man then offer the potential candidate a long term contract eg give curbishley a 6 month deal there no pressure on him and if things pick up great and if things turn out for the worst we are not stuck with a manager thats not right for us without having to handover a wad of cash to get rid of?

mancrover
Regular international

Post by mancrover » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:48 am

Dan wrote:I wonder what would happen if we just let the captain pick the team and tacics, just for one match? :scratch:
who would pick the captain? :-?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:50 am

mancrover wrote:Anyone think we should go down the newcastle route and get in an interim manager to give the club time to find the right man or if in the newcastle case end up being the right man then offer the potential candidate a long term contract eg give curbishley a 6 month deal there no pressure on him and if things pick up great and if things turn out for the worst we are not stuck with a manager thats not right for us without having to handover a wad of cash to get rid of?
The reports surrounding Souness indicate that he would be an interim manager. Don't really see the point in doing that to be honest.

mancrover
Regular international

Post by mancrover » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:55 am

mrblackbat wrote:
mancrover wrote:Anyone think we should go down the newcastle route and get in an interim manager to give the club time to find the right man or if in the newcastle case end up being the right man then offer the potential candidate a long term contract eg give curbishley a 6 month deal there no pressure on him and if things pick up great and if things turn out for the worst we are not stuck with a manager thats not right for us without having to handover a wad of cash to get rid of?
The reports surrounding Souness indicate that he would be an interim manager. Don't really see the point in doing that to be honest.
I'm not saying i agree with going down that road, i was more throwing the idea out there to gage opinion will the board be tempted after seeing what has happened at newcastle? main problem with that is how can the board back a manager with money in jan if there is no certainty he will be there after may

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:00 pm

What the hell is an 'interim manager' anyway? Didn't we used to call them caretaker managers, or is there some significant difference?

I can't think of any positives in bringing Souness back for any amount of time.

mancrover
Regular international

Post by mancrover » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:02 pm

[quote="Rover the Top"]What the hell is an 'interim manager' anyway? Didn't we used to call them caretaker managers,

it's a way of making a jobsworthy think he's more important then he is

fitz808
Valued squad member
Location: who knows. athens or london, depending on the day of the week...

Post by fitz808 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 pm

also, i think you'd find it hard to pursuade any manager out there worth his salt to come in on a purely interim basis. for me, it's got to be all or nothing. the person you bring in has to be brought in on the basis that they will be here at least until the end of the season.
it is starting to look like ince will defintely go. i still don't know where i stand on that.
on the minus side:
1) it may not work and the new guy might not be able to do anything to arrest the slide
2) it looks bad on JW for bringing him in and will probably lead to a lot of bad feeling at executive/board level
3) there is a certain amount of dishonour in breaking ince's contract in such a short amount of time
4) looks awkward for the January transfer window
5) we may get souness...

on the plus side:
1) it just might work
2) it may help us keep some of the players that would have probably though "this is a sinking ship and i'm a rat" had the current situation continued
3) the club looks like it demands very high standards
4) there's an outside chance it could coincide with hughes getting the shove from City!!!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:33 pm

I think all the negatives are outweighed by the fact that Ince doesn't appear to have learned a thing about managing a PL side in his 17 games in charge. If we looked like we were going somewhere or adapting, then there'd be an argument for giving him more time. But there's no light at the end of the tunnel, it seems he has a plan A that he's praying will start working against the odds. Beating Stoke won't change our situation, and at the moment I can't see us getting even a draw.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Rover the Top wrote:What the hell is an 'interim manager' anyway? Didn't we used to call them caretaker managers, or is there some significant difference?
We COULD go back to calling them caretaker managers, but then whose going to look after the interim? It wont feed itself you know. :whistle:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:40 pm

But in the meantime, all those caretakers are running amok! :hyper:

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:35 pm

at least souness can demonstrate to the defenders how to kick seven shades o shit out the opposition! :hyper: