Carling Cup 2nd Round: Gillingham v Rovers

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Re: Carling Cup 2nd Round: Gillingham v Rovers

Post by roversmillsy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 pm

One of those tricky ties where we get beat. These are the worst draws to get because Allardyce will not want to risk his 1st XI so we will probably be knocked out and it will feel such an embarrasment.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Can't see this lot giving Rovers much of a game :dunce: . I suppose reference will be made to the curvy yellow fruit to which you peel back the skin. One nil will do.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:52 am

It's only 'tricky' because the mentality these days is to not bother about the club's reputation and take the game seriously. Field the first team with them keen to get through and we'll win. Field a team of reserves with the players knowing they're reserves and unlikely to break into the team even if they do well, and they'll play like that they don't give a shit and probably lose.

Plus it's away in Kent, hardly the kind of game an overpaid footballer wants to be involved in when the manager doesn't seem bothered about winning the trophy. If it was me, I'd be relishing a draw against lower league opposition as an easier chance to progress to the next round. But somehow, such games have become seen as a nuisance, and it's not even considered to be embarrassing when we lose them.

roverzealous
Ageing international

Post by roverzealous » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:44 pm

The match will take place August 25th (Tuesday), 19:45 kick-off.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:05 pm

To do well in the premiership is Rovers objective. The cups are secondary. If rovers do beat Gillingham it doessn't mean anything unless you go all the way and win the cup. If rovers get beat yes there will be a few red faces but not for long. I seem to remember something similar when Coventry came to Ewood and beat Rovers. End of the day Rovers are still a premiership side which is all that matters and Coventry are still a league below.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 pm

behind enemy lines wrote:To do well in the premiership is Rovers objective. The cups are secondary. If rovers do beat Gillingham it doessn't mean anything unless you go all the way and win the cup. If rovers get beat yes there will be a few red faces but not for long. I seem to remember something similar when Coventry came to Ewood and beat Rovers. End of the day Rovers are still a premiership side which is all that matters and Coventry are still a league below.
To win things should be the club's objective.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:39 pm

I do agree the objective is to win things. But to go all out in the cups and play your best players against the likes of Gillingham isn't a priority. Premier league status is what its all about. Lose that and the only thing to look forward to would be an opening day fixture against Doncaster say and not hosting the richest club in the world namely Manchester City.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 am

Premier League survival is only the priority for the club because they need the money to pay the players' crazy salaries. As a fan, my priority is for the club to achieve things I'll be proud of and avoid making me embarrassed to be a fan. I'm still smarting from the team apparently throwing games last season because the manager felt our energies would be better spent in other games. What's the point in taking part if you've no ambition to do more than the minimum?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:36 am

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea how much setanta going bust will effect this season and nexts TV money? Surely, we must be getting less than budgeted for this season unless it was paid upfront?

And the next rights auction will probably suffer because of less competition...so maybe less money next season and beyond? :scratch: :-?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:07 am

It wasn't paid, that's why the Premier League cancelled the deal, which then caused Setanta to fold. I think the shit's yet to hit the fan from that. The big money increase came from selling rights abroad, though.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:15 am

As I understood the deal ESPN have simply taken up the setanta contract so Premier League clubs are not going to lose out - it is other sports where the renewed deals have been less than the existing deals - notably the Scottish Premier League.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:26 am

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:53 pm

I think rovers should go all out to try and win the carling cup this year. By that i mean Sam should play his strongest team at Gillingham. I have gone on record saying that premier league status is more important blah blah but i do think the carling cup is a viable rout for rovers to Europe. The only thing that pisses me off with cups is you get so far and you come up against Chelsea or United in the Semi's. If Rovers do field a weak team and get beat then there's always an excuse. If Rovers field the strongest team and get beat......well i'll not go there!!!

FatSamsLongballBlues
Promising youngster

Post by FatSamsLongballBlues » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:43 am

behind enemy lines wrote:I do agree the objective is to win things. But to go all out in the cups and play your best players against the likes of Gillingham isn't a priority. Premier league status is what its all about. Lose that and the only thing to look forward to would be an opening day fixture against Doncaster say and not hosting the richest club in the world namely Manchester City.
I would just love for us to win a cup this season and I wouldn't even care if we were relegated, but the FA Cup for the first time in what will be 82 years in May has to be the aim. The League Cup is a joke and I was sort of embarrassed that a lot of our fans celebrated winning it like they did in 02, maybe that was just because that is the only year that we have ever won it. I say we go all out for the FA Cup this year, and so what if we go down and don't play Manchester City again. At least we will have a chance against Doncaster.