Sunderland v Blackburn 22/08/09

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
SunderlandAFC
New signing

Sunderland v Blackburn 22/08/09

Post by SunderlandAFC » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Sunderland fan in peace here! Just wondering how you think the game will go, baring in mind we got off to a good start against Bolton yesterday but we do have Chelski on Tuesday night.

I think we'll win 2-1 ;)

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Re: Sunderland v Blackburn 22/08/09

Post by theadore » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 pm

welcome to the site - think we'll be lucky to get a win, but I think this has draw written all over it.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Early season games are unpredictable. Look what Wigan did at Villa and Arsenal at Everton. Sunderland and Rovers played each other in league and cup twice in the same week last season and it was one win to both teams. Rovers have quite a good record at the stadium of light. I think both teams look better than last season but i think Rovers will be good enough to at least get a draw.

blujugganaut
Promising youngster

Post by blujugganaut » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:34 pm

hopefully we can get Kalinilic involved. If we get a striker who can score regularly, we would have no one, and we could easily manage a draw at the Stadium of Light

safc_chestermackem
New signing

Post by safc_chestermackem » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Another sunderland fan here, posted an intro in the newbies section.

Sunderland and Blackburn were sick of each other by the end of last season, felt like we played you 20 times!
I think under Big Sam you will be mid table, and safe from relegation but I am confident of atleast a home draw on Saturday.
Cattermole and Cana looked strong in the middle of midfield against Bolton and that is something we lacked last season against teams like Rovers.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Darren Bent scored two in two so far for Sunderland. Not bad going!!!...maybe if some of the Rovers striker's would have a rant on the net then we should have goals galore. Me thinks Sunderland got a taste against Chelsea of what Rovers got against City. When you come up against money bags teams you're gonna struggle. One thing with Rovers and Sunderland they will be entertaining as both teams will fancy winning this one.

roverzealous
Ageing international

Post by roverzealous » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:05 pm

Blackburn have club captain Ryan Nelsen back in their squad as they go in search of their first points of the new Barclays Premier League season at Sunderland.
A knee problem kept the New Zealand defender out of Rovers' opener against Manchester City, but he has now recovered to boost Sam Allardyce's rearguard.

Vince Grella could feature after coming off the bench last week, while new striker Nikola Kalinic is also in contention after his arrival from Hadjuk Split.

Fellow new signing Michel Salgado is yet to receive clearance to play so will have to wait before making his debut.

Long-term absentees Brett Emerton, Steven Reid and David Dunn are all making good progress but are still some way off first-team football.

Team (from): Robinson, Jacobsen, Samba, Givet, Warnock, Diouf, Nzonzi, Andrews, Pedersen, McCarthy, Roberts, Brown, Grella, Khizanishvili, Hoilett, Olsson, Di Santo, Nelsen, Kalinic, van Heerden.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0OpIl4xR9

Bailo
New signing

Post by Bailo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 pm

Have been away so not seen the highlights of the City game and only seen a few reports. Not sure how our midfield of Andrews and Nzonzi looked but the sound of it doesn't exactly fill me with joy. good to have Nelsen back, suppose it gives us the option to push Warnock forward. Would quite like to see Grella in for an old-fashioned battle with Cattermole (wouldn't have minded us trying to get him actually). Oh, and if Kalinic is ready, let's get him involved!

As for result, reckon it's got draw draw draw written all over it. And not necessarily a particularly good one.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:41 am

Rovers starting eleven shouldn't much differ from last week. I hope the Admiral is fit to play. N'zonzi should be given another start and its upto Sam to decide on either Andrews or Grella. Up front Roberts did nothing to inspire last week so i'd go with Di Santo and Benni "BigMac" McCarthy with Kalinic warming the bench. Saying all that don't be surprised to see Big Chris up front at some point......GET INTO EM!!!!!!!!

roversmillsy
Ageing international

Post by roversmillsy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:56 am

If I'm honest I think this has got a 0-5 written all over it. Goalscoresrs will be Benni(2), Roberts, Andrews and Pedersen(Yes you seen right PEDERSEN!!!!!)

user66
New signing

Post by user66 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:47 am

Warnock won't be there...... my nephew who lives down in Midlands tells me that Warnock is at the Villa training ground having his medical..... fee agreed around £8m + add-ons.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:53 am

yeah :report: says he's pulled out of the trip to sign for Villa too.

roverzealous
Ageing international

Post by roverzealous » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Telegraph wrote:The player was pulled out of Blackburn's trip to Sunderland so that the club's could negotiate a fee ahead of terms being agreed with the player himself.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rnock.html

If it's true that he's been pulled out of the squad then I guess Givet will play at left back today with Samba and Nelsen in the middle?

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Givet is a far more accomplished player than Warnock anyway, and we have actual midfielders to play in midfield so I dont think he'd be any great loss

roverzealous
Ageing international

Post by roverzealous » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Di Santo will start upfront with Roberts with Benni on the bench. Grella remains on the bench.

As previously reported, Warnock is not in the squad.

Starting XI: Robinson; Jacobsen, Samba, Nelsen (c), Givet; Diouf, Nzonzi, Andrews, Pedersen; Roberts, Di Santo
Subs: Brown (GK), Emerton, McCarthy, Grella, Olsson, Kalinić, Hoilett.