Where are they now?

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Where are they now?

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:39 am

I'm a little stunned you don't see the difference. Most of the terms you list there which people get upset about are ones that have been used to insult and oppress groups - we have never been oppressed by being called limeys. Moreover, just because you think it is unreasonable, does not alter the fact that they are considered insulting by the people they are aimed at and others around them.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:46 am

Most would also realise that Judo is Japanese in origin, whereas egg fried rice is a Chinese dish....

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Tell you what you don't hear much moaning from lads returning from war who are minus a few limbs. These people have done there bit to try and uphold a decent society so that people from oppressed backgrounds can live there lives in peace in this country. So on the question of insulting people i feel insulted that ethnic minorities feel the need to complain about the flag of St George being flown to close to there placed of worship. And i feel insulted that ethnic minorities should feel the need to openly celebrate on the streets of Blackburn when the world trade centre was attacked. You may not have heard about these insults to Britain but that is because we live in a tolerant society so we tolerate such things.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:04 pm

So, to go back to what started this little row: what causes the offence? The attempt to put a Chinese accent on the sentence? The reference to Chinese food whilst imitating a Chinese accent? The lack of humour? Or the fact he was talking about flied lice instead of sushi?

It's hardly racist to impersonate an accent, and I've not heard of anyone demanding that we should shut down Chinese takeaways for stereotyping Chinese people. But the attempted joke was rubbish, and Judo is a Japanese martial art... :scratch:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:05 pm

Uh huh, Daily Mail readers of the world unite :roll:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:19 pm

behind enemy lines wrote:Tell you what you don't hear much moaning from lads returning from war who are minus a few limbs. These people have done there bit to try and uphold a decent society so that people from oppressed backgrounds can live there lives in peace in this country. So on the question of insulting people i feel insulted that ethnic minorities feel the need to complain about the flag of St George being flown to close to there placed of worship. And i feel insulted that ethnic minorities should feel the need to openly celebrate on the streets of Blackburn when the world trade centre was attacked. You may not have heard about these insults to Britain but that is because we live in a tolerant society so we tolerate such things.
Oh dear, and I thought you had a point with the freedom of speech/people should be allowed to behave like dicks if they want line... :roll:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 pm

No mate. The point i'm making is there is too much made of so called oppressed people coming to this country,having the taste of a better life and then abusing the tolerant nature of British people by bellyaching over the odd comment made which they find offensive. If i have offended any Chinese people by my attempt at mimicking a chinese accent on the English language then i most humbly apologise.That is of course what British people do now by pampering the blubberings of people not indigenous to Britain. Now enough of this.....i'm off to talk about that cheating french git Henry....Am i allowed to say that? :D

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:05 pm

:bored:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm

theadore wrote::bored:
I don't blame you for being bored. I hate these breaks for international football as it leaves little to talk about regarding rovers.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:15 pm

theadore wrote::bored:
Ditto.

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:01 pm

If an oriental person was using this, you don't think they'd be offended by the stereotype you have perpetrated- that they all own takeaways?

I get what you're trying to say but its people like you that create the problem, just because you don't think you would offend people, doesn't mean you haven't

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm

joep89 wrote:If an oriental person was using this, you don't think they'd be offended by the stereotype you have perpetrated- that they all own takeaways?
Eh? How does "I prefer lemon chicken with fried rice" (as that is what was said if you take away the accent) imply that all oriental people own takeaways? There's a couple of massive assumptions on your part there. Firstly, there's no reason to think BEL was talking about all Chinese people, he was just pretending to be a Chinese person. And secondly, you can like Chinese food without owning a takeaway, which is fortunate, because I wouldn't make much money out of my attempts at making fried rice.

Let's be honest, there's naff all offensive about suggesting that a Chinese person might prefer a Chinese meal to Judo.

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
joep89 wrote:If an oriental person was using this, you don't think they'd be offended by the stereotype you have perpetrated- that they all own takeaways?
Eh? How does "I prefer lemon chicken with fried rice" (as that is what was said if you take away the accent) imply that all oriental people own takeaways? There's a couple of massive assumptions on your part there. Firstly, there's no reason to think BEL was talking about all Chinese people, he was just pretending to be a Chinese person. And secondly, you can like Chinese food without owning a takeaway, which is fortunate, because I wouldn't make much money out of my attempts at making fried rice.

Let's be honest, there's naff all offensive about suggesting that a Chinese person might prefer a Chinese meal to Judo.
I never said it really bothered me, its just that it may be construed as offensive. Whatever, I suppose some people have different ideas as to what could be offensive, God forbid I expressed mine ;)

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

So you've no explanation as to why you thought he was saying all Chinese people owned takeaways? And I was so looking forward to it...

People can be offended by all sorts of things, it doesn't automatically mean the person who caused the offence has acted in an unacceptable way. People over-react and get upset by things that shouldn't upset them. It's not right to my mind to say that we should avoid saying things just in case we offend the over-sensitive.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm

For the record i don't think all chinese people have takeaways. I know for a fact they have restaurants too.