Relegation?

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Can we stay up..???

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 am

J. Jones has been one of our more consistent players over recent weeks. :-?

Willyum
Promising youngster

Post by Willyum » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:09 am

From what I've seen (which isn't a whole lot), we're going down. :(

ausrover
New signing

Post by ausrover » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:16 am

I cant believe where we are now on the table.

I'm Australian and live in Australia, I religiously watch every Rovers game throughout the season , and its getting harder and harder when I sit up watching these games at all hours of the morning. From where we were earlier on in the season and to where we are now is so hard to take.

I'm only going to comment about stuff ive seen and noticed from watching games on tv and not live at the grounds.

Start upfront. I personally believe Santa cruz should be there because he has class over the other few in the squad, sure he is not in great form but no other option is either. Roberts , Benjani and Diouf are bustling type players who will score goals but do need good support from a partner or midfielders, which they wont get lets face it.There's also a difference between being spastic and awkward, i think Kalinic is awkward where Benjani and sometimes Roberts can put in stinkers and do nothing but fall over all game.

Midfield- from what ive watched , i believe both dunn and gamst have to start , Im not a fan of J.Jones at all he gives away too many fouls and too many incomplete passes. There is a lack of movement throughout midfield.

Defence- I think its not that bad, only real problem during play is probably speed. Set piece defence is awful, short corners should never work, but they seem to against us.

Thats all for now, I hope i havn't affended anyone.Again this is what ive noticed from watching it on t.v. I'm no supercoach and i dont believe i have the answers but i do want us to do well and i can see this season slipping away to rapidly.

Cmon Rovers do it for the fans and yourselves.

Jimmy, Australian Rovers Fan

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:40 am

Santa can't save us he's done practically sod all since he's come back. Is our team good enough to stay in the PL? We have a lot of fan rated players but good players from an outside point of view we have very few. Somebody in work said to me yesterday "At least with Big Sam you had a few shots on goal, Howard could have been sunning himself on a deck chair until the 91st min. Simple as if we go down we deserve to because of shit decisions by the owners and Kean. We are playing worse football than we did with Sam. We are on our worst run in a couple of decades! We was better off with no money at least we had owners that cared more about football than chickens and cricket. I could probably do better than Kean managing the team and I manage an under 12's team. If we go down we'll have to do a Newcastle and splash out huge wages for our players to stay. Diouf was one of our most creative players we let him go on loan! So what if he is the biggest arsehole on the planet, we only let him go because of Neil Warnock's comments and to ease so media damage that we were getting for sacking Sam. It made us look more likeable not to have an arsehole on the pitch, but made us look better on the pitch. Kean needs to go at the end of the season would rather have Ian Dowie than Kean.

Willyum
Promising youngster

Post by Willyum » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:55 am

dwayne cage wrote:Santa can't save us he's done practically sod all since he's come back. Is our team good enough to stay in the PL? We have a lot of fan rated players but good players from an outside point of view we have very few. Somebody in work said to me yesterday "At least with Big Sam you had a few shots on goal, Howard could have been sunning himself on a deck chair until the 91st min. Simple as if we go down we deserve to because of shit decisions by the owners and Kean. We are playing worse football than we did with Sam. We are on our worst run in a couple of decades! We was better off with no money at least we had owners that cared more about football than chickens and cricket. I could probably do better than Kean managing the team and I manage an under 12's team. If we go down we'll have to do a Newcastle and splash out huge wages for our players to stay. Diouf was one of our most creative players we let him go on loan! So what if he is the biggest arsehole on the planet, we only let him go because of Neil Warnock's comments and to ease so media damage that we were getting for sacking Sam. It made us look more likeable not to have an arsehole on the pitch, but made us look better on the pitch. Kean needs to go at the end of the season would rather have Ian Dowie than Kean.
Santa Cruz is the only striker we have who can actually keep the ball. If Roberts, Benjani or Kalinic were actually any good at scoring goals (I hear that's what strikers are supposed to do), then we'd be alright. It must be frustrating having to play a role where you're asked to bring others into the game, yet once they get there nothing actually happens and the chance is gone.

dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager

Post by dwayne cage » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:04 am

He wasn't great for Paraguay, he was wasn't good for city and let's face it he hasn't done much for us since he has came back. He may get told to hold the ball but he doesn't have to listen. Nobody else seems to listen to Kean. Even if he did shoot more he probably wouldn't score as he's gone downhill with all his injuries he isn't even the shadow of his self when he was at us before moving.

winston_the_cat
Promising youngster

Re: Relegation?

Post by winston_the_cat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:36 am

Looking likely now I'm afraid.

Next question. Will we be as fortunate as in the past in jumping back up to the Premiership, or will the structure the club has now lead to some serious drain circling? I fear the latter. Many changes for the worse in the past few months, and these were more or less self-inflicted ones. Why must something widely admired, and reasonably successful be torn apart and exchanged for smoke and mirrors dross?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

Willyum wrote:
Santa Cruz is the only striker we have who can actually keep the ball. If Roberts, Benjani or Kalinic were actually any good at scoring goals (I hear that's what strikers are supposed to do), then we'd be alright. It must be frustrating having to play a role where you're asked to bring others into the game, yet once they get there nothing actually happens and the chance is gone.
This.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I still don't think we'll go down. We're being shit, but I still think we'll stay above West Ham, Wolves and Blackpool.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:29 pm

We simply have to beat Bolton and probably win another one of the matches (Wolves away?). I think a spirited performance next weekend and we might nick something against City too.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Simon wrote:We simply have to beat Bolton and probably win another one of the matches (Wolves away?). I think a spirited performance next weekend and we might nick something against City too.
We'll stay up so long as we don't lose to both West Ham and Wolves.

Willyum
Promising youngster

Post by Willyum » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Winning away at WHU isn't likely, and Wolves actually seem to have some team spirit. Kean's idea of spirit comes in the form of Bell's Whisky. He's a complete rem.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Willyum wrote:Winning away at WHU isn't likely, and Wolves actually seem to have some team spirit. Kean's idea of spirit comes in the form of Bell's Whisky. He's a complete rem.
I didn't say winning. I said not losing.

I genuinely think one more point and we're safe.

Simon
Ageing international

Post by Simon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:35 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Willyum wrote:Winning away at WHU isn't likely, and Wolves actually seem to have some team spirit. Kean's idea of spirit comes in the form of Bell's Whisky. He's a complete rem.

I wish I shared this optimism. Sadly, the teams below us seem more than capable of picking up points. I think Wolves are probably the weakest of the remaining teams, Wigan look good going forward (as do Blackpool, who have been unlucky in recent weeks) and West Ham are playing better than the early part of the season. The fact that the points total that will take you down is likely to be the highest in a 20 team Premiership season is testament to the fact that there are no shit teams in this league and I really think that these teams are more than capable of picking up 4 points in 5 games. Saying we only need one more point suggests that all bar one of the teams below us will not win for the rest of the season (this may or may not be actually true but off the top of my head seems correct).

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Simon wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:

I wish I shared this optimism. Sadly, the teams below us seem more than capable of picking up points. I think Wolves are probably the weakest of the remaining teams, Wigan look good going forward (as do Blackpool, who have been unlucky in recent weeks) and West Ham are playing better than the early part of the season. The fact that the points total that will take you down is likely to be the highest in a 20 team Premiership season is testament to the fact that there are no shit teams in this league and I really think that these teams are more than capable of picking up 4 points in 5 games. Saying we only need one more point suggests that all bar one of the teams below us will not win for the rest of the season (this may or may not be actually true but off the top of my head seems correct).
I don't think Blackpool will get another point. I don't think West Ham and Wolves will get more than 4 each; and our goal difference is good for a point.