MyPa Vs Rovers - Job done

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Rover the Moon wrote:Kevin Gallagher is Rovers answer to Paddy Grerrand :-D

I thought Cruz looked a bit lumbering other than his goal :scratch:
Santa Cruz looked "top quality" and his touch to lay off Emerton was "inspirational", I thought he looked "exceptional" to be honest. ;)

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Rovers are playing like they are still in preseason mode, i mean passes going astray which is so unlike us. We created a few notable chances in the 1st half but we failed to convert them and almost paid the price!

Savage looked off the pace he tried to get himself going but it didnt quite work i think hes suffering mentally still.

Santa Cruz looked immense for 60 mins he has a great touch and a good turn of pace and what a finish, he looked knackered by the end tho.

Ooijer played ok but why didnt brett start? 80 min when kopolinen or some one did him then sav came to help and they fuked up before big chris came in.

Dunn i thought was on of our better players along with Nelsen and Santa cruz, he tried to run with the ball, start moves off and managed to squeeze a few shots in, Dunny is coming back!

We look short of fitness and a lack of motivation, i think most of the players thought this would be a walk over but infact it turned out to be a tough task, Rovers have Santa Cruz and Nelsen to thank.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:05 pm

If I was Hughes I'd be furious. We ought to have buried that pile of shit 3 or four nil so that we could field a total reserve side in the home leg and rest our better players to face Premiership opposition. Even a League Two side would have smashed MyPa, who had more trees than fans surrounding their pitch. :roll:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 pm

Who gives a shit whether we buried them or not? We won, they;re not going to beat us at Ewood, so job done and we'll easily go through.

Plus it's not easy to get hold of the ball when the ref is letting the opposition get away with murder but gives a freekick everytime your side makes a tackle that isn't 100% no contact...

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:53 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Who gives a shit whether we buried them or not? We won, they;re not going to beat us at Ewood, so job done and we'll easily go through.

Plus it's not easy to get hold of the ball when the ref is letting the opposition get away with murder but gives a freekick everytime your side makes a tackle that isn't 100% no contact...
I actually thought the referee did a pretty good job until he booked Bentley near the end :roll:

The moans and gripes are understandable. I mean, yeah we won and it was "job done" but the idea was to be able to field a reserve side in the Ewood leg, even Hughes himself said so. The problem is that now we can't risk fielding a totally weakened side in the 2nd leg because we could end up looking silly (although I doubt it) and people would accuse us of not taking the competition seriously enough.

A 1-0 lead really isn't good enough and if we are to progress in this competition we need to be beating "minnows" like MyPa47 rather convincingly. Perhaps Hughes told them to take it easy in the second half as that team was probably the team he will start against Arsenal on Sunday, but looking at Hughesy's face after the game I doubt that was the case. :-?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:13 pm

*YAWN*

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re:

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:13 pm

Willy wrote:
mrblackbat wrote:Who gives a shit whether we buried them or not? We won, they;re not going to beat us at Ewood, so job done and we'll easily go through.

I actually thought the referee did a pretty good job until he booked Bentley near the end :roll:

The moans and gripes are understandable. I mean, yeah we won and it was "job done" but the idea was to be able to field a reserve side in the Ewood leg, even Hughes himself said so. The problem is that now we can't risk fielding a totally weakened side in the 2nd leg because we could end up looking silly (although I doubt it) and people would accuse us of not taking the competition seriously enough.

A 1-0 lead really isn't good enough and if we are to progress in this competition we need to be beating "minnows" like MyPa47 rather convincingly. Perhaps Hughes told them to take it easy in the second half as that team was probably the team he will start against Arsenal on Sunday, but looking at Hughesy's face after the game I doubt that was the case. :-?
No, to advance in the competition we simply need to beat each team we play. We've taken the first step to beating My Pa 47 today by winning. End of.

Rover the Moon
Unemployed ex-pro

Re:

Post by Rover the Moon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 pm

Rover the Top wrote:*YAWN*
*SNORE*

Willy
Ageing international

Re:

Post by Willy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:43 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Willy wrote:

No, to advance in the competition we simply need to beat each team we play. We've taken the first step to beating My Pa 47 today by winning. End of.
And possibly sacrificing a league win in the process??

The point is, we work all year long to get into a European competition and then when they come along they are treated almost like a distraction. In that case, why do we even bother having a football club?

roverJ
New signing

Re:

Post by roverJ » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:03 pm

Willy wrote:And possibly sacrificing a league win in the process??

The point is, we work all year long to get into a European competition and then when they come along they are treated almost like a distraction. In that case, why do we even bother having a football club?
We didn't treat it like a distraction. We fielded our best team. The players may not have played at their best, but that's a different matter.

I don't think we did that badly. There are plenty of upsets at this stage of the competition. We had to avoid being one of them. Hopefully we can work on the negatives and build on the positives. And keep playing football - which is why we bother having a football club.

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:15 am

Relax everyone Weve played 1 league game so far of course the players will be of the pace and rusty its nothing too worry about as everyone is in the same position, look at man utd!

The Uefa cup is a privallige to play in hence we fielded our strongest team available, now this was another match for the players to get some more match practise in and to be sharper for sundays encounter at home to Arsenal.

Please acknowledge a season is not a sprint with 60 odd games to play but it is a marathon.

GET BEHIND THE BOYS!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:17 am

My pre-match comments which I posted on 606:
Ever since we were embarrassed in his second game against Bournemouth, Hughes has been careful not to leave anything to chance against 'minnows'. We'll field a strong first team side, and I expect a professional performance which should produce a positive result. But you've got to appreciate that MyPa will be thinking about forcing a shock result, they're not going to let us walk over them. So I think it's more likely that we'll bring home a 1 or 2 goal lead, rather than run up a cricket score. With it being the away leg, I think so long as we don't lose, we'll be in control of the tie, and can finish off the job in two weeks' time.
Sure, I'd like to have seen us score a few more, we came close to doing on a number of occasions, but I don't see why anyone would expect us to thrash them? When have we ever travelled abroad and slaughtered a team? Mypa aren't a good team, as can be seen by their sliced clearances and inability to create shooting chances. But that doesn't mean they are totally devoid of any footballing ability. They were going to have periods of possession, but we dealt with them comfortably. And I'm even confident enough to say the tie is as good as ever, as I don't see anything but an easier win for us at home at Ewood.

So far this season we've played 4, won 4, scored 9 and conceded 1. I don't see why that's a reason to moan after every game.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:31 am

there is always a reason to moan.

however there is nothing too bad about this one... the players looked disinterested and yet still managed to come through without ever looking like conceding.... we shouldn't have any problems in the next leg.

I still would have liked to see us press for more though... we would have scored a few if we'd have pushed it after that first goal which would have allowed us to rest players in the home leg. Also it is always nice for your team to put a few goals past a team no matter what the quality of the opposition.

DunnFC
Regular international

Post by DunnFC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:43 am

It asks the question,

Play well but lose or win but play bad?

id personally win and play bad.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:47 am

Win, play well, score with every move and never let the opponents touch the ball (which is difficult since they need to kick off :scratch:). 90-0, result! 8-) ;)