MyPa Vs Rovers - Job done

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
rover-the-rainbow
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by rover-the-rainbow » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:17 am

Rover the Moon wrote:After we took the lead I was expecting a barrage. Oh how wrong I was. The team look disinterested and clueless to be frank. We carried about as much threat as storming a castle with a feather duster. Three players for me stood out as being the most woeful (in order) Bentley (england quality?), pedersen, and Savage. Savage in particular looked old and slow.

Can't take any encouragement for the game on Sunday from that shower, but as they say job done if a little tardily.
Exactly right.
The whole midfield was below par.
Dunn and Savage just ambled about like headless chickens not contibuting a great deal. Bentley and Pederson had poor ball control and crosses were poor. Corners were either short of the near post or way beyond the back post. Tugay when intoduced supplied a couple of telling passes but not much else.
If the midfield had performed anything like half decent I think that we would have scored at least a couple of more goals and made qualification for the first round virtually guaranteed. Then as some have mentioned we could have given starts to non regular first teamers in the second leg.
Lets hope that they all had their "poor game" together and they will come good on Sunday.
Positive points were the defence that looked confident and dealt with the little pressure they had comfortably, and the attack which started lively (Roberts looked particularly up for it in the first half) then faded towards the end.
Man of the match Samba.

DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:23 am

rover-the-rainbow wrote:
Rover the Moon wrote:After we took the lead I was expecting a barrage. Oh how wrong I was. The team look disinterested and clueless to be frank. We carried about as much threat as storming a castle with a feather duster. Three players for me stood out as being the most woeful (in order) Bentley (england quality?), pedersen, and Savage. Savage in particular looked old and slow.

Can't take any encouragement for the game on Sunday from that shower, but as they say job done if a little tardily.
Exactly right.
The whole midfield was below par.
Dunn and Savage just ambled about like headless chickens not contibuting a great deal. Bentley and Pederson had poor ball control and crosses were poor. Corners were either short of the near post or way beyond the back post. Tugay when intoduced supplied a couple of telling passes but not much else.
If the midfield had performed anything like half decent I think that we would have scored at least a couple of more goals and made qualification for the first round virtually guaranteed. Then as some have mentioned we could have given starts to non regular first teamers.
Lets hope that they all had their "poor game" together and they will come good on Sunday.
Positive points were the defence that looked confident and dealt with the little pressure they had comfortably, and the attack which started lively (Roberts looked particularly up for it in the first half) then faded towards the end.
Man of the match Samba.
I thought Dunn was quite good and imo our best midfielder.
As for Samba mom i think not who scored and set up chances? also Nelsen was better than Samba imo.

Roverindulgence
New signing

Post by Roverindulgence » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:40 am

When the wingers don't perform the all-round performance suffers, and once again the shadow of an England call-up seemed to fall malevolently across Bentley's game :scratch:

But to say we were dire is plain crazy - dire teams do not win away from home against well-drilled opposition, and given our history in European competition prior to last season we should be pretty pleased. Well done, Rovers!

Oh, nearly forgot ... is Peter injured ? Surely he's first choice sub at left wing ...

Roverindulgence
New signing

Post by Roverindulgence » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:11 am

Bentley has not been selected for the friendly v. Germany. Probably just as well ...

DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:24 am

Roverindulgence wrote:Bentley has not been selected for the friendly v. Germany. Probably just as well ...
ENGLAND TEAM and the set up are a fukin joke its a disgrace hes Englands best right winger, you gotta give the future a chance.

Mcclaren is just like sven an incompetent TWAT!

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:39 am

Sven wasn't an incompetent twat... :doh:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 am

No, just an incontinent twat. :scratch:

roverJ
New signing

Re:

Post by roverJ » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 am

Roverindulgence wrote:Oh, nearly forgot ... is Peter injured ? Surely he's first choice sub at left wing ...
Don't think he's injured, but he didn't travel with the 21 man squad. Perhaps he's severely out of favour.

I really do think we need a quality left winger to challenge Pedersen. Anyone seen much of that Keith Treacey guy?

Okay, and now for some crazy talk. Does anyone think that given Mokoena's much improved form to the end of last season, and the fact that Savage doesn't seem to be playing quite at his best, that we should consider giving Mokoena a run out against Arsenal?

Or is that utter madness. :-D

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Re:

Post by doz_magic_man » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:53 am

mrblackbat wrote:No, to advance in the competition we simply need to beat each team we play. We've taken the first step to beating My Pa 47 today by winning. End of.

I'm surprised you have such a narrow view of the situation. Looking at the bigger picture (i.e. the Premiership), as has been pointed out above, we now have to give our star players an extra game in what will inevitably be a long, arduous season. We were playing a side who on paper and having seen in the flesh we should have rinsed.

Yes we won and didn't concede but you could tell by Hughes' face that he was far from happy as he was constantly urging the players to up the pace for most of the game. I'm glad he sets his standards a little higher and looks ahead further than just the next game.

DunnFC
Regular international

Re:

Post by DunnFC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:14 am

roverJ wrote:
Roverindulgence wrote:Oh, nearly forgot ... is Peter injured ? Surely he's first choice sub at left wing ...
Don't think he's injured, but he didn't travel with the 21 man squad. Perhaps he's severely out of favour.

I really do think we need a quality left winger to challenge Pedersen. Anyone seen much of that Keith Treacey guy?

Okay, and now for some crazy talk. Does anyone think that given Mokoena's much improved form to the end of last season, and the fact that Savage doesn't seem to be playing quite at his best, that we should consider giving Mokoena a run out against Arsenal?

Or is that utter madness. :-D
Yea Peter is out injured ankle i think.

I think Savage will put it a good performance against Arsenal and to be fair to the axe he has improved allot but i think if we are wining against arsenal 1-0 he may introduce mokoena in the last 15 mins or so to try and protect the lead.

Mokoena has improved allot though and i think he will be considered and used more allot this season, and credit to him we all doubted him but hes starting to win fans round due to some impressive performances. I think the only resaon the axe got stick was because we are spoilt a little in cm with the likes of Tugay,Reid and Savage. Mokoena does do a good job in defensive midfield he gets tackles in and trys his best, he reminds me of Spurs Zokora. He plays in that ugly position where he has to get stuck in so i dont expect him to win loads of admirers, but hes certainly silenced to boo boys.

Yes i was a fan who used to shut his eyes when i saw Mokoena but hes proved me wrong a bargain at 300k.and once again credit to him.