Bowyer leaves the club

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:16 am

I don't think they'll have made 100 million plus that wouldn't have been made had they not invested in a club that has failed whilst under their ownership.

If people really don't care about the status of a football club, then it's still a bad decision to have bought Blackburn; they could have bought a much cheaper club. They bought a Premier League team, now all you can say is that they have an English League team. Doesn't have the same prestige; from any angle, I'm sure if they could go back in time and not buy Blackburn Rovers, then they would.

yankfan
Promising youngster
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by yankfan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 am
yankfan wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 am
Ethiaa wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:49 pm
I suppose you could look at the 5 million a year the trust were able to invest and think in some way we were better off rather than the 25 mil a year that Venky's invest. No doubt some ppl still want to pretend that all bad things in the world are because of some Indians though. :roll:
I was talking about the Venkys point of view. They have gotten it all wrong every step of the way. Their investment is depreciating rapidly, they're having to throw more money at it each year and they're not getting any positive brand recognition out of it. If we end up in league one it's difficult to imagine things going much worse than they have since Venkys took over. 5 million a year run professionally is probably better than 25 million run like buffoons. Throwing money at a problem doesn't always fix it. I'm not sure we would be better off under the trust, but it's difficult to imagine it being much worse.
But then what's been the net effect on their worldwide business and social interests?
Owning Rovers is certainly not helping that business and at this point whether they're the cause of the fall or not is irrelevant. If the supports believe it to be true, and stay away it might as well be so because the net effect is the same.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26790
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am

yankfan wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 am

But then what's been the net effect on their worldwide business and social interests?
Owning Rovers is certainly not helping that business and at this point whether they're the cause of the fall or not is irrelevant. If the supports believe it to be true, and stay away it might as well be so because the net effect is the same.
I'm not talking about Rovers' business directly, what about the Rao's other business and social interests? They continue to pump money into the club because they are getting something out of it, even if what that is isn't apparent from the stands at Ewood. If it was all a big mistake from Venky's point of view, they'd have pulled the plug by now.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:17 pm

I don't think they would just pull the plug. That would definitely have negative impact on their business, in several ways, both reputationally and legally in terms of they way they could operate any business in the UK. To be honest, I think you're making as many assumptions here as those that say its affected their image worldwide.

I think there's also some pride at stake.

However, I do they that if they could, they wouldn't have bought the club.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26790
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Yes I'm making assumptions, as obviously I don't know them personally. I just think it's highly unlikely that anyone would continue to burn £25m-30m on a project for the sake of pride if they weren't getting some satisfaction out of it and it was all a big mistake.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm

Happens all the time, and not just in football. People quite often continue to spend on a sinking ship in the hope it can be saved, or because they still harbour a hope that they might be able to sell on and get that cash out. Venkys have a wealthy business, it may look better on their books to still carry a loss making business than completely write it off. Doesn't mean they don't regret buying it, nor that they don't want it. Of course, that's also speculation, but I think it's unlikely they'd be bragging to their mates about owning a former Premier League club....

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17427
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by Gibbon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:44 pm

Maybe they're just doing it to piss of that 'tosser' who threw a snowball at them. :lol:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26790
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm
Happens all the time, and not just in football. People quite often continue to spend on a sinking ship in the hope it can be saved, or because they still harbour a hope that they might be able to sell on and get that cash out. Venkys have a wealthy business, it may look better on their books to still carry a loss making business than completely write it off. Doesn't mean they don't regret buying it, nor that they don't want it. Of course, that's also speculation, but I think it's unlikely they'd be bragging to their mates about owning a former Premier League club....
Well, there's an anecdote about Paris Hilton being gifted a Rovers shirt at Balaji Rao's birthday party a couple of years ago...

If you take a broader look at the foreign billionaires buying football clubs, few are doing it because they're football mad, and even fewer are doing it for business reasons. It's an indulgence, a status symbol. It's like buying a super car - look at it from a practical point of view, and it's stupid, costs a fortune to run, you can't put your shopping in it, and you've got to be very choosy where you park. But people who can afford to blow their cash on them do. Despite our current predicament at the wrong end of the Championship, you can still sell Blackburn Rovers as one of the big names in English football, with a rich history including winning the Premier League. Owning us (and, say, Villa, Leeds, Forest, etc) isn't so much about where we are now.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:29 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:43 pm
Happens all the time, and not just in football. People quite often continue to spend on a sinking ship in the hope it can be saved, or because they still harbour a hope that they might be able to sell on and get that cash out. Venkys have a wealthy business, it may look better on their books to still carry a loss making business than completely write it off. Doesn't mean they don't regret buying it, nor that they don't want it. Of course, that's also speculation, but I think it's unlikely they'd be bragging to their mates about owning a former Premier League club....
Well, there's an anecdote about Paris Hilton being gifted a Rovers shirt at Balaji Rao's birthday party a couple of years ago...

If you take a broader look at the foreign billionaires buying football clubs, few are doing it because they're football mad, and even fewer are doing it for business reasons. It's an indulgence, a status symbol. It's like buying a super car - look at it from a practical point of view, and it's stupid, costs a fortune to run, you can't put your shopping in it, and you've got to be very choosy where you park. But people who can afford to blow their cash on them do. Despite our current predicament at the wrong end of the Championship, you can still sell Blackburn Rovers as one of the big names in English football, with a rich history including winning the Premier League. Owning us (and, say, Villa, Leeds, Forest, etc) isn't so much about where we are now.
More than a couple of years ago. It was when we were in the Premier League, not at the doldrums of the Championship.

It is a status symbol, but like all the others (race horse/super car etc), nobody brags about having a shit one.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26790
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:42 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:29 am

More than a couple of years ago. It was when we were in the Premier League, not at the doldrums of the Championship.
I believe it was December 2014. 2 years, 3 months ago.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14275
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 am

So more than a couple of years ago by three months! :hyper:

Ahem. Thought the actual event was earlier than that and that was when the rumour went out, but evidently not.

User avatar
rovertilidie
Promising youngster
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by rovertilidie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:44 pm
Maybe they're just doing it to piss of that 'tosser' who threw a snowball at them. :lol:
It was more like an ice ball....wonder why they don't come to matches or fan meetings.

Post Reply