Bowyer leaves the club

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Bowyer leaves the club

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:Well, if you think there's a "good chance" of finding a needle in a haystack...

Not knowing whether it's a good decision or not makes it a reckless gamble. I don't need to know the outcome to criticise them for taking such a huge risk.
Sorry but weren't you just saying how lots of sacked managers aren't bad managers (if you weren't then you should have been).
Um, no. :shrug: The "good" manager that will make our players play better than their limitations is something of a sought-after beast, with myriad clubs also looking for him too. Hence the number of sackings. Since our search seems to be focused on the discard pile, we're only likely to find another "bad" manager who won't be good enough, just like Bowyer apparently wasn't good enough.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:42 pm

By that logic, the managers in that discard pile are largely like Bowyer then and will keep us in the same place. Also we haven't got a clue where the search for a manager has focussed - again, it is guesswork.

We all get that you didn't want him sacked. That doesn't mean you can't justify sacking him. And likewise you could justify keeping him.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Bowyer didn't make the mess, but its still a mess. Likewise, it would be unrealistic to expect the new guy (whoever it is) to be a worker of miracles.

No matter who is named manager, I still don't expect any of our current players to be around when Rovers make it back to the PL.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:43 pm

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport ... -1-8405495

Not sure if this is the first time Bowyer has spoken out about being sacked:
Gary Bowyer wrote:At the time they said I took the club as far as I could. Unfortunately, you take a look at where the club are at the moment and they’ve not taken it further.
Who’s that down to? Is that always the manager? I think the fact we stayed in the job as long as we did was down to the hard work and the model we were trying to implement there.
Is the manager accountable for an embargo? I don’t think so. So you can only do the best with the resources you have got.
I think Owen Coyle only spent £250,000. I think in the last four years the club has only spent £3.5 million. Well in a competitive market that it is, you can’t even buy one player for that figure in that league anymore.
So I do have sympathy for the people that are trying to manage in that league without the resources to try and compete with the Aston Villa’s and Newcastle’s.
It’s alright doing change-change-change but out of those changes, how much success are you going to have?
You’re talking about culture. You’re talking about grabbing hold of a player who might be 24, 25, 26 years of age and you’ve got to try and influence him, motivate him, learn about him and build a relationship with him and get instant success at the same time.
It took me a lot longer with my wife to make her make me a cup of tea.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:23 pm

And demonstrates why he shouldn't have been fired.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Man, I like Bowyer. We should have just stuck with him.

But what he says seems to bear out Lambert's departure- he was promised things he didn't get.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:13 pm

WacoRover wrote: But what he says seems to bear out Lambert's departure- he was promised things he didn't get.
I don't see where you get that from? He's saying they told him he'd gone as far as he could, which suggests they expected Lambert to do more with what we already had. That also fits Lambert's boldness when he took over. I don't know where the idea that promises to Lambert were broken comes from, it just seems to be a wild theory that's grown legs because he quit. It was public knowledge that we were losing money and weren't able to spend on players, he initially claimed that didn't matter and talked about pushing for the playoffs with what he had. When he failed to make any progress, he changed his mind and moaned we'd need to overspend (and breach the FFP rules again) for him to improve the team. And then walked away leaving us in chaos.

I think the club, and many fans, seriously underestimated how good a job Bowyer was actually doing. Last season was always going to be a dip because of the embargo, I really don't understand fans who argue that a handicap to our competitiveness shouldn't be taken into account. We're aiming far higher than we can realistically achieve, and repeatedly making things worse by making changes that don't address the problem.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:27 pm

I would disagree that we weren't making progress; under Lambert, Rovers got 38 pts in 30 games. Maybe not a big pct increase over Bowyer, but he was a big boost when he arrived ( I think we got 11 pts his first 5 ganes).

Either guy was better than Coyle.

Since Lambert's arrival, the squad has clearly been weakened- Rhodes, Hanley, Duffy, Marshall. Not that its Coyle's fault, either.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:04 pm

At the point of Lambert throwing the towel in, we were doing significantly worse. And him throwing in said towel has left us in this years predicament. Definitelt worse off.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Not to get overly defensive, but Lambert got 8 pts his final 4 games at Blackburn. Also, from that season finale (3-1, over Reading), we've lost Duffy, Hanley, Kilgallon, Marshall, Grimes, & Gomez as starters. Also, Spurr, Jackson, & Watt.

Again, I know personnel losses can't be ascribed to any of our mgrs.

This all just points to the hopeless situation inherited by Mowbray: He's got more heart than brains. He won't get any guff from me, when Rovers are relegated.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes. Those four games being afyer he'd decided to quit.

Most of those players are rubbish.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:40 am

WacoRover wrote:I would disagree that we weren't making progress; under Lambert, Rovers got 38 pts in 30 games. Maybe not a big pct increase over Bowyer, but he was a big boost when he arrived ( I think we got 11 pts his first 5 ganes).
We were unbeaten in 3 and had lost just 2 of Bowyer's last ten games. Not sure how it's that big a boost to keep our form up for a few more games before going two months without a win... :yeahright: We were 16th when Lambert took over, 18th when he announced he was quitting. We then won a couple of dead rubbers to lift us to 15th, which could be viewed as a very marginal improvement. But given that Lambert had the benefit of the embargo being lifted and was able to spend on the likes of Graham, Gomez, Grimes, Jackson and Ward, it's credible to believe we'd have done the same, maybe better, with Bowyer staying. It was a mad, mad decision, worst since Venky's took over, and we're still paying for it.

Is Elliott Ward still alive?

RoverSteve
Promising youngster

Post by RoverSteve » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 am

Rover the Top wrote:
WacoRover wrote:I would disagree that we weren't making progress; under Lambert, Rovers got 38 pts in 30 games. Maybe not a big pct increase over Bowyer, but he was a big boost when he arrived ( I think we got 11 pts his first 5 ganes).
We were unbeaten in 3 and had lost just 2 of Bowyer's last ten games. Not sure how it's that big a boost to keep our form up for a few more games before going two months without a win... :yeahright: We were 16th when Lambert took over, 18th when he announced he was quitting. We then won a couple of dead rubbers to lift us to 15th, which could be viewed as a very marginal improvement. But given that Lambert had the benefit of the embargo being lifted and was able to spend on the likes of Graham, Gomez, Grimes, Jackson and Ward, it's credible to believe we'd have done the same, maybe better, with Bowyer staying. It was a mad, mad decision, worst since Venky's took over, and we're still paying for it.

he broke his ankle back in October, had to have an operation i think.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 am

RoverSteve wrote: he broke his ankle back in October, had to have an operation i think.
Shows how significant he's been that I didn't know that... :D

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 am

Rover the Top wrote:

Appointing Kean and keeping him for so long is clearly the worst decision they've ever made.