Rovers youth and reserve teams.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gibbon
Promising manager

Rovers youth and reserve teams.

Post by Gibbon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:26 am

linky
Blackburn Rovers have appointed Phil Cannon as the club's new Academy Manager.

Phil brings a wealth of experience in youth football, particularly in the crucial area of recruitment, to the role and will take up his position on Monday.

He has worked within youth football at top level for many years, most notably during a seven-year spell as Head of Academy Recruitment at Everton.

"I see this as an exciting and challenging opportunity," said Phil, who has also worked at Swindon Town and Derby County. "My background is totally dedicated to the identification, recruitment and development of young footballers which I believe is the clear way forward for all Premier Legue clubs."
Hopefully very good news. :D

Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Rovers Academy.

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 am

Rovers under 18's beat Man U's 3-0 in the FA youth cup quarter finals.

Sounds like somethings going right at the academy now. Well done the lads! :hyper:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

Bollocks, I forgot about that. I wanted to go and watch, but I was supposed to be out with a mate last night. But then he cancelled, so I could have gone. If I remembered. :numpty;

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 am

Marcus Marshall interview on his move to Rotheram.

"Last season I scored ten goals in 14 games for the reserves. This season we haven't played many games and I've got one in four. I've worked under Mark Hughes, Paul Ince and Sam Allardyce but I liked Ince the best. He was more involved with the younger lot. I didn't work with Hughes long, so I can't really judge him, but Sam is strict. He wants to win."

Don't expect to read that everyday. :shock:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 pm

On a side note to that, I've noticed some people giving Allardyce all the credit for bringing through the likes of Hoilett and Olsson. Now I do think it's good that he's brought in some younger players, and that we're giving these lads a chance in the first team. But the bit I don't get is that people then criticise Hughes for not developing young players. Hughes bought Olsson, he sent Hoilett out to Germany to help his development. There's a time lag between these lads joining and being ready to step up to the first team. The groundwork was done when Hughes was here, and the reality is that we didn't have the same sort of talent in the youth team when Souness left. The good thing is that we are now looking to sign potential, Hughes, Ince and now Allardyce have all done it, and the first wave appears to be breaking through.

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:53 pm

plus hughes gave derbyshire a chance from the youth/reserves

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 am

The youngsters beat Everton last night to reach the FA Youth Cup semi final.

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 am

Rover the Top wrote:The youngsters beat Everton last night to reach the FA Youth Cup semi final.
Do you know when the semis are? Hoping I can catch it over Easter

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:41 am

rovers wrote:The dates for the two semi-final ties will be announced shortly, Rovers are at home in the first leg.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:51 pm

One of the ways forward is to certainly invest in the future generations of rovers players. Players like Damien Duff, Jason Wilcox, David May, Derbs and Dunny all came through the youth set up. Even those who didn't quite make it into the Rovers first team are still knocking around. Peter Thorne had Alan Shearer in the way for example. Even Man U with all the cash they have spent on players their best teams have come from home grown talent.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Wilcox and May came through from a very a different set up to what we have today. Derbyshire was signed from non-league football, Duff was brought in from an Irish side, and I think the team with Dunn in that won the Youth Cup all joined before the academy was set up. Not that I'm arguing against bringing youth through, it's just the academy itself hasn't been particularly good at producing the talent yet.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Rover the Top wrote: Derbyshire was signed from non-league football,
Yes from the mighty Great Harwood town. Gone but not forgotten but the memories still prevail of victories over Blyth Spartans and Northwich Victoria. Pie in one hand thermos in the other.....happy days. Used to take my lad down to the BRIC when derbs was their teaching the kids. Now he's in Sunny Greece.....where did i go wrong :roll:

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 pm

joep89 wrote:
Rover the Top wrote:The youngsters beat Everton last night to reach the FA Youth Cup semi final.
Do you know when the semis are? Hoping I can catch it over Easter
1st Leg is tonight Joe! :)

http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail ... 71,00.html

COME ON ROVERS YOUNGSTERS!

Savory
Promising manager

Post by Savory » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:11 pm

0-1 :numpty;

TOM Hitchcock's 24th minute own goal has given Chelsea a 1-0 half time lead in tonight's FA Youth Cup semi final first leg.

The Rovers youth team striker flicked Jacopo Sala's left wing corner into his own net, as the Londoners dominated the early stages.

Rovers grew into the game, with Jason Banton looking a danger, and it was his 20-yard strike that went closest to drawing the hosts level, going wide of the far post.

joep89
Experienced international star

Post by joep89 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:45 pm

So Phil Jones has broken through this season, as is looking a very promising prospect for the future. Good in the air, and almost fearless in his challenges, regardless of the calibre of opponent. I haven't watched the Academy in a long time, but are there any other young players threatening for a place in the senior squad? Many clubs now are managing to churn out maybe 2-3 Academy players per season, and knowing that we have one of the best centres in the country, shouldn't htere be a few more coming through?

I'm just concerned as to how loyal Jones will be to the club who have developed him into such a hot prospect (been playing Footy Manager too much!). Nowadays its less likely that they will stay at their first clubs, so hopefully he will cement his place in the squad, and help improve our league position while he improves as a player. Isn't there a rule about home grown players next season? If so, how are we looking in relation to actually fulfilling its requirements? :scratch: