Rovers youth and reserve teams.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: Under 21s and Academy

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

I agree, it'd be great to see some of them make that step up this season, Rittenberg and O'Connell would be the names I'd be expecting to get a run out - there may be an outside chance that Cham could get a run out in a worst case scenario that Rhodes comes a cropper at some point.

I think we've done fairly well with the academy in recent years, Hanley, Henley, Jones and Lowe have all stepped up with varying degrees of success. While I'm disappointed that others haven't been given the nod, (Fernandez, Edwards and Raheem Hanley spring to mind), to get in the team they should have to be better than what we have, or what's affordable/available elsewhere.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm

We couldn't really do much worse than some of the players we've brought in over the past few seasons.

I don't really agree that we have done reasonably well with bringing players through, it's 3 years since Henley and Lowe were introduced to the first team squad. That seems like quite a long time not to have another emerging prospect coming through. In the mean time, we've had a conveyor belt of overpaid, under-performing players brought in from various backgrounds, if the academy isn't producing better we may as well shut it down.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Has it really been 3 years? That IS pretty poor.

Shutting it down is a little (R)over the top considering the management of the club has undergone a massive overhaul in the last couple of years. Bowyer seems to have a template for the kind of personality he wants at the club, it's been evident in a lot of the signings that he's going for hard working, committed types that give 100%. If this is a reflection on the players who've just been rewarded with contracts then that bodes well for the club. Hopefully it'll filter down to the prospects we recruit for the academy from now on as well.

The fact that Varney has only signed a 1 year contract speaks volumes to me - the manager clearly sees him as a player we need now - not one for the future. I think he's probably viewed as a useful squad player who'll act as an able sub should the need arise, and allow us to shuffle him out without too great a hit on wages should one if the youngsters step up. I'd hope it sends a message to the younger players that his spot is there for the taking.

I guess we'll really see if it works over the next couple of seasons.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:48 pm

I wasn't serious about shutting it down. I've just become disillusioned with Rovers' youth policy. I think Varney has only signed a one year deal because hopefully we'll get promoted and he's here to do a job for this season only. But the fact we've signed him and the guy from Doncaster (whose name I've already forgotten) makes me think that Rittenberg isn't going to be given a chance unless we're really short of players - and then there's the likes of King and Marshall who can fill in as forwards anyway. It's the same with the centre halves - we could have kept O'Connell or Edwards as back up, instead we loaned them out and then had to loan in players when we got injured. O'Sullivan could have been given a chance instead of bringing in Judge and Taylor to play bit parts. The big concern for me is that Bowyer was responsible for overseeing the development of these youngsters, yet given the first team job he looked to recruit from other teams rather than pick the players he knows. I've not got a problem with most of the signings he's made, or the job he's doing. But I just don't see us forming a production line of youngsters if he won't give them a chance even when we're short of cover.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with our youngsters not getting a look in last season as well, but it may have been that Bowyer wasn't sure that they'd be exactly what he needed to generate the turnaround in the squads attitude necessary in the rebuilding process.

Thinking about the signing's of Brown and Varney, it maybe that he feels their experience could well be an influence on the squad for this season's promotion push too?

Guess we'll see.

Franco_ice
Valued squad member

Post by Franco_ice » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:47 am

I think it might be the youngsters who will play the cup matches more. Provide input to make the first team.
Hope is only that the cup matches do not end quickly and they go the distance, getting to play big teams will really tell whether they will be part of next year or may be this year if we are unlucky with injuries.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:11 pm

U18s tonk Liverpool 4-0.

Hat trick for Lewis Mansell, one to watch?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:05 pm

The U21s have beaten Burnley 3-1 in the cup game the police decided no one was allowed to watch.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:09 pm

That's not exactly true. The Police gave a price to provide 'appropriate measures' given the trouble at recent under 21 games between the clubs. The clubs together decided that they couldn't justify the expense given the number of fans who would attend so chose to host it behind closed doors so the policing was not required.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:43 pm

So like I said, the police decided no one was allowed to watch. :D

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:50 pm

Quality goals by Tomlinson & Mahoney :shock:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 pm

It would be the making of Rovers if we could get some of these lads playing in the first team together. If you're good enough you are old enough. This is why we have the academy. A hope that we can produce one or two or even half a team of promising young players to make the grade. Look at Man United. For all their money and support the best teams they have produced were the ill fated busby babes and the class of 92. Both made up of home grown talent. The biggest problem at Rovers is hanging on to our stars when we do produce them though. Last time we got promoted from this league we had Dunn and Duff starting out their careers. Maybe this is the way forward for us to eventually be successful in the championship. Next couple of years could be promising ones for us hopefully.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Darth Rover wrote:It would be the making of Rovers if we could get some of these lads playing in the first team together. If you're good enough you are old enough. This is why we have the academy. A hope that we can produce one or two or even half a team of promising young players to make the grade. Look at Man United. For all their money and support the best teams they have produced were the ill fated busby babes and the class of 92. Both made up of home grown talent. The biggest problem at Rovers is hanging on to our stars when we do produce them though. Last time we got promoted from this league we had Dunn and Duff starting out their careers. Maybe this is the way forward for us to eventually be successful in the championship. Next couple of years could be promising ones for us hopefully.
So the way forward would be to stick with the manager that likes his youth players and has seen a good number of his young players come through the academy and start pushing for a first team place.....

....oh.