First Team Squad

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gibbon
Promising manager

First Team Squad

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:15 am

Thought I'd start this thread so we can track how the squad's shaping up. I saw a poster BRFC's still complaining that we only had 16 pro's in the first team the other day, which is patently nonsense.

So what have we got at the moment?

1. Steele
2. Raya
3. Marshall
4. Henley
5. Lowe
6. Nyambe
7. Hendrie
8. Doyle
9. Duffy
10. Ward
11. Hanley
12. Wharton
13. Evans
14. Akpan
15. Bennett
16. Feeney
17. Conway
18. Lenihan
19. Guthrie
20. Mahoney
21. Byrne
22. O'Sullivan
23. Graham
24. Stokes

Plus a few I've noticed getting a chance in pre-season such as Andy Fisher and Tyler Magloire.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: First Team Squad

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks, Gibbon, I appreciate seeing 'em all in one place.

It now appears Hanley, & perhaps Duffy, depart (which saddens me), If most recent scuttlebutt is to be believed. Where will those transfer fees be used to Rovers best advantage? And, does this rapidly accelerate development & promotion for academy players?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I would hope that we'd spend any funds from Hanley on a replacement. If it were me I'd be looking for a couple of decent young centrebacks from a lower level who have something to prove - and then hope one of them clicks.

Of course if Wharton (most likely) and/or Magloire are deemed up to standard that would make things simpler.

At the moment, if Hanley goes we still have Duffy, Ward, Wharton, and maybe Magloire. Nothing to get too panicky about. Certainly a Duffy/Ward partnership should be good enough.
Last edited by Gibbon on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Gibbon wrote: I saw a poster BRFC's still complaining... ...which is patently nonsense.
About sums it up.

Several of those are still wet behind the ears. It's demeaning to say they aren't pros, but there's a question mark over whether they'll provide sufficient depth to the squad.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Gibbon wrote: I saw a poster BRFC's still complaining... ...which is patently nonsense.
About sums it up.

Several of those are still wet behind the ears. It's demeaning to say they aren't pros, but there's a question mark over whether they'll provide sufficient depth to the squad.
Of that list though only

6. Nyambe
8. Doyle
12. Wharton
22. O'Sullivan

plus Fisher and Macgloire probably fall into that catagory, the rest are solid enough in my opinion. I'm not questioning the quality of Byrne or Hendrie as we'd never have brought them in if they weren't deemed good enough.

That still leaves us with a squad of 20.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I'd say Raya and Mahoney still have a way to go before changing from "promising" to "proven". With Hanley looking set to depart, I'd like that to signal another few signings.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Rover the Top wrote:I'd say Raya and Mahoney still have a way to go before changing from "promising" to "proven". With Hanley looking set to depart, I'd like that to signal another few signings.
I think they have a way to go, but I think both have shown that they're up to the task already.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:25 pm

I like rebuilding with youth. I've seen NFL teams do it for years. However, Hanley & Duffy aren't old. I hate to see two of our best players leave the team, two guys that would probably start for several PL clubs.

It can't be just about money. But, everything I read says Rovers weren't going to be able to sign them when their contracts expire, anyway. So, getting something for them, beats getting nothing when they leave.

This says to me, our young guys aren't convinced Rovers are on the right track.

We're in real trouble in the long-term, if our young, talented players want to leave as soon as they can. Gibbon, Ethiaa, someone, please say it isn't as bad as all this.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:51 pm

It isn't as bad as all this.

Hope you feel better now.

In reality, neither Duffy nor Hanley would start for a Premier League side. Oh, and another point. Neither have been sold yet! Lets save the doom and gloom for when something actually happens, eh? ;)

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 pm

So, our young, talented players aren't leaving as soon as they can?

Dann. Gestede. Cairney. Rhodes. I assume you know what you're talking about, so Hanley & Duffy aren't going anywhere, so the bleeding has stopped.

Gotcha. It's not bad. We're 15th in the Championship. Glad to know it isn't as bad as it appears to be.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 pm

WacoRover wrote:Gotcha. It's not bad. We're 15th in the Championship. Glad to know it isn't as bad as it appears to be.
Actually, we're 4th in the championship. ;)

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Gibbon wrote:
WacoRover wrote:Gotcha. It's not bad. We're 15th in the Championship. Glad to know it isn't as bad as it appears to be.
Actually, we're 4th in the championship. ;)
:lol:
I'd bloody take that an all

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:08 am

WacoRover wrote:So, our young, talented players aren't leaving as soon as they can?

Dann. Gestede. Cairney. Rhodes. I assume you know what you're talking about, so Hanley & Duffy aren't going anywhere, so the bleeding has stopped.

Gotcha. It's not bad. We're 15th in the Championship. Glad to know it isn't as bad as it appears to be.
Dann, Gestede, Cairney and Rhodes weren't products of our youth system. Neither is Duffy.

Dann was 27 when he left; hardly what I would describe as "young" in footballing terms. Gestede and Cairney were here for a blink of an eye before they left.

I haven't said that Hanley and Duffy aren't going anywhere necessarily, just that they haven't gone anywhere yet, so mourning them seems somewhat premature. Lets wait til they do actually leave before weighing up the pros and cons of said potential transfer and potentially having a big cry in despair. Though neither Duffy nor Hanley are good enough to be irreplaceable.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:38 am

WacoRover wrote:So, our young, talented players aren't leaving as soon as they can?

Whinging without an iota of sense, the favourite pastime of the Rovers supporter...

Rather than name young, talented players, you've listed 4 established players brought into the club who spent varying amounts of time here before moving on. It's the normal pattern of things at all but the elite clubs around the world. Players come, players go, and are replaced with new players starting the cycle all over again. And it's rather disrespectful to say Hanley is "leaving as soon as he can". He's stayed at Rovers for 8 years. :?

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Whinging...I think you mean whining, but I get your general drift.

But it still appears Hanley leaves for magpies.