First Team Squad

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Gibbon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Genuine question Waco, is whinging not a word used in the U.S.? It has a similar meaning to whining, certainly.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Gibbon, not sure...first time I've seen it. Thats probably correct, our word is probably a bastardized version of it.

You're right though, I'm whining (or whinging) somewhat. It just seems to me that our better players see greener pastures elsewhere. Hanley may not be a legit PL talent, but I bet he makes it there before Rovers as a team do. The luster is definitely off Rovers.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:16 pm

On a more positive note, Coyle has some funds to work with. Not saying he's going to find a Mahrez or Vardy, ala, as Leicester did, but Coyle seems to find decent talent.

We'll see what (who) he comes up with.

Also, Hanley was solid, but we've got a couple of youngsters who could play their way into being good, capable players. Its not all bad.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Hanley is a good player, but 5.5 million for a proven centreback in the Championship is a pretty good price. I believe the inflation of the players valuation in the current market is what gives us this skewed prospective of value. I think Coyle has it in him to find a solid replacement for Hanley, might not see him until August but I have faith so far.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:10 pm

WacoRover wrote:Gibbon, not sure...first time I've seen it. Thats probably correct, our word is probably a bastardized version of it.

You're right though, I'm whining (or whinging) somewhat. It just seems to me that our better players see greener pastures elsewhere. Hanley may not be a legit PL talent, but I bet he makes it there before Rovers as a team do. The luster is definitely off Rovers.
Our better players saw the grass being greener when we were winning the premierleague, and later when we were regualrly competing for European places. Why would you think it would be any different when we're doing far worse?

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:53 am

Blackbat,
Not arguing with you; i'm certainly not the authority here. Most of you guys were Rovers' fans long before I heard of Blackburn Rovers.

This club was in the PL 5 years ago; UEFA, 10 years ago; won the League Cup, 15 years ago. PL, 21 years ago. It will be interesting to see if/when the pieces are put back together. Graham, Stokes & Feeney aren't bad players, and might get the club up to 12th or so this season. But, no promotion or playoffs this season, unless Coyle is the next Ranieri. I don't think that's happening.

We'll see. I just want to see a competitive club this year. I'm not a sunshine-pumper, too realistic (after all, I've remained a Dallas Cowboys fan the past 20 years...its strange Rovers & Cowboys both hit Paydirt the same season for the last time ;) )

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:12 am

I hate the bloody Cowboys :twisted:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:06 am

WacoRover wrote: But, no promotion or playoffs this season, unless Coyle is the next Ranieri. I don't think that's happening.
The Burnley side he took up were nothing special on paper. It doesn't mean he knows how to do it again - the second half of his spell at Bolton and his time at Wigan show he doesn't have the magic wand everyone is eager for. But it seems to keep happening that unfancied teams find a way to get promoted from this division. If the squad take to Coyle, we build some team spirit and can keep injuries to a minimum, then it could be our turn.

Franco_ice
Valued squad member

Post by Franco_ice » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:52 am

With our Captain gone , would be interesting who could get the armband.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:58 am

Franco_ice wrote:With our Captain gone , would be interesting who could get the armband.
I thought it had already been decided it was Jason Lowe?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:00 am

Franco_ice wrote:With our Captain gone , would be interesting who could get the armband.
Or obvious...
'He’s Blackburn Rovers through and through' - Jason Lowe can be our leader if Grant Hanley leaves, insists Owen Coyle

Franco_ice
Valued squad member

Post by Franco_ice » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:09 am

Rover the Top wrote: I thought it had already been decided it was Jason Lowe?
Oh! a difficult ask for a person coming back from a long injury who needs to first settle in the team.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 am

Does the captain really do anything out of the ordinary though? :shrug:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 am

The club captain is as much about what you do off the pitch as on it. You don't lose the club captaincy if you are injured after all.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 am

Gibbon wrote:Does the captain really do anything out of the ordinary though? :shrug:
Choosing between heads and tails takes lots of practice...