First Team Squad

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Gibbon
Promising manager

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 am

Seriously, what are the duties of a club captain apart from setting a good example? I've never bothered to find out before.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:41 am

Gibbon wrote:Seriously, what are the duties of a club captain apart from setting a good example? I've never bothered to find out before.
They have to toss the pancakes.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:46 am

Of course!

ariversider
Promising youngster

Post by ariversider » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
WacoRover wrote:So, our young, talented players aren't leaving as soon as they can?

Dann. Gestede. Cairney. Rhodes. I assume you know what you're talking about, so Hanley & Duffy aren't going anywhere, so the bleeding has stopped.

Gotcha. It's not bad. We're 15th in the Championship. Glad to know it isn't as bad as it appears to be.
Whinging without an iota of sense, the favourite pastime of the Rovers supporter...

Rather than name young, talented players, you've listed 4 established players brought into the club who spent varying amounts of time here before moving on. It's the normal pattern of things at all but the elite clubs around the world. Players come, players go, and are replaced with new players starting the cycle all over again. And it's rather disrespectful to say Hanley is "leaving as soon as he can". He's stayed at Rovers for 8 years. :?
Yeah - but give Waco a break - (correct me if I'm wrong) he's only picked up on Rovers over the last few years. His view will be that we sell on our better younger players as that's all we've done.

So to talk with of "whinging without an iota of sense" is a bit, if not a lot, de-meaning.

Things have changed from 20 years ago when we could walk into most clubs within England, if not Europe, and walk away with their better players. We have Jack to thank for that.

We have now to accept that other clubs, that we have, certainly over the last 20 years, at least up until the last 5 years, considered our equal or even below us (Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea et al) are above us for the time being in the pecking order. I hope that this is the point that your making but thought it could be put in a more succinct way than you did. Especially as we need as many supporters as possible at the minute.

I wish Hanley all the luck in the world. He has been a good servant for us over the last few years but does has his faults although they have started to eradicate with experience

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 pm

ariversider wrote: Things have changed from 20 years ago when we could walk into most clubs within England, if not Europe, and walk away with their better players. We have Jack to thank for that.
That never happened. Jack Walker's money opened up more of the market and allowed us to buy to try and improve the squad. With the exception of Southampton, though, we didn't go round raiding clubs for their best players. We were still a poor draw compared to the established big clubs, even after we won the title. Our signings from Europe were mostly obscure flops. And as is happening now, the ones who excelled for us only stayed for a few years then moved on. Nothing has changed, we have never been the biggest fish in the pond, not even just in England. Unless you want to go back to the 1800s, of course. ;)

ariversider
Promising youngster

Post by ariversider » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:45 pm

Think I saiud most clubs -not all. there was a period when we could out-bid the top clubs - not always successful I grant you - that came down to the personal choice of the player (Roy Keane being the one that springs to mind).

My point was that we could go up against a Sunderland, Swansea, Everton at one point and for a player from Southamption, Crystal Palace, Norwich and be resaonably confident of securing the player's signature.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 pm

I believe Rovers still have the 12th most wins in PL since the onset of the PL. So, it's not like Rovers are the world's neediest charity-case.

I appreciate riversider's comments, but I respect my place here...not the greatest fan of Rovers, just one of the newest. Y'all are the best. I plan on sticking around, & I can't wait for August 6 vs Norwich. I wear my Rovers' polo proudly around Waco, and occasionally, someone even recognizes who Blackburn Rovers are, and can even state correctly what "Arte et Labore" means!

(BTW, we need a ray of sunshine here- I sure wish duggywerefab would post a recollection or reminisce somewhat)! :D

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:27 pm

It doesn't matter when you started supporting Rovers, it's how you support them that matters.

You seem to be doing a good job in my book, and personally I appreciate the window into an American's view of the sport.

But what do I know I only started supporting them in the late 90's myself. :lol:

*edit: It's just occurred to me that that's actually quite a long time now. :o

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Gibbon, thanks, I appreciate your sentiments.
I'll speak my mind honestly, without whinging ;) & I'll always support the team, no matter which division they're in, or the place they occupy.

wrinks_89
Valued squad member

Post by wrinks_89 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:01 am

Now we really need a round of applause icon! That was lovely boys ;)

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:49 am

:lol:

Happy(ish)Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Happy(ish)Rover » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 am

8-)

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Reading Coyle's comments, re: Duffy.

I'm satisfied with that. A good coach always wants to keep his best players. But he's realistic enough to know, they will be sought-after (Especially in the last year of their contract).

I just hope we can hang onto both Duffy & Marshall, they have great seasons, Rovers have a strong season, & the owners give them new deals.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 pm

If we can finish competing for playoffs, I could see them getting new deals. I would think Venky's are looking for a turn in results now. Now they don't have any super high wages on the bill anymore, it would be beneficial to either give them new contracts or make the business move and sell high.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 pm

To be honest, if they don't sign new contracts then it may be in our interest to let them run their contracts down. You can almost guarantee that they'll be trying extra hard in order to impress prospective employers somewhere else.