First Team Squad

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:14 pm

Gibbon wrote:To be honest, if they don't sign new contracts then it may be in our interest to let them run their contracts down. You can almost guarantee that they'll be trying extra hard in order to impress prospective employers somewhere else.
Exactly, contract years in any sport is the most valuable for the player. I can imagine come January, decisions will be made.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:21 pm

I think our starting line up will be stronger than the line up we finished with last season. Squad is short a few players.

Steele

Lowe Duffy. Ward. Hendrie

Marshall. Byrne. Evans/Akpan. Conway/feeney

Stokes. Graham

Got Greer and hopefully one of the youngsters can step up as cover for CB and LB. Just need another decent striker for the squad plus a youngster to step up. Plenty of positions covered as the players we have can play in multiple positions. Lowe gets injured then Marshall can drop to right back and Conway/feeney/Bennett play on the wings. Byrne gets injured then Marshall slots in as the creative player. Gutherie still on the bench. With this squad we need to get lucky with not getting to many injuries. I like the potential starting line up. We have a decent 14/15 players that I have no worries if they were to start a game.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:52 pm

thehatts wrote:I think our starting line up will be stronger than the line up we finished with last season. Squad is short a few players.

Steele

Stokes. Graham

Got Greer and hopefully one of the youngsters can step up as cover for CB and LB. Just need another decent striker for the squad plus a youngster to step up. Plenty of positions covered as the players we have can play in multiple positions. Lowe gets injured then Marshall can drop to right back and Conway/feeney/Bennett play on the wings. Byrne gets injured then Marshall slots in as the creative player. Gutherie still on the bench. With this squad we need to get lucky with not getting to many injuries. I like the potential starting line up. We have a decent 14/15 players that I have no worries if they were to start a game.
Personally I'd be surprised if Lenihan doesn't start. I think Byrne needs to convince Coyle he is a first teamer. Doesn't appear to have done particularly much in preseason.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Gaz wrote:
thehatts wrote:I think our starting line up will be stronger than the line up we finished with last season. Squad is short a few players.

Steele

Stokes. Graham

Personally I'd be surprised if Lenihan doesn't start. I think Byrne needs to convince Coyle he is a first teamer. Doesn't appear to have done particularly much in preseason.
I thought he got 2 assists?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:08 pm

I think it'll be:

------------------Steele--------------------
Marshall----Duffy----Greer-------Hendrie/another
------------------Lowe---------------------
Bennett---------Akpan-----------Conway
-------------------Byrne-------------------
------------------Graham-----------------

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Bennett and Feeney do not fill me with any confidence. For me Lenihan deserves a spot in the team; he played excellent last season.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:49 am

I agree on Lenihan, he's earned his spot.

If things go wrong, give Wharton a chance.

Is Conway ever going to be a full-time player again?

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:56 am

WacoRover wrote:I agree on Lenihan, he's earned his spot.

If things go wrong in defence and Wharton (currently unproven) doesn't take to championship football then we are buggered until January. I would like Brown on a low contract that increases if he plays. Kind of a pay as you play but a bit fairer to Brown as he would be unlikely to start ahead of Duffy, ward, Greer. Pick Wharton ahead of Brown and see how he gets on. Then you have Brown to fall back onto if Wharton can't cope. Having said that Lenihan could fill in a CB as well.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:29 pm

thehatts wrote:
WacoRover wrote:I agree on Lenihan, he's earned his spot.

If things go wrong in defence and Wharton (currently unproven) doesn't take to championship football then we are buggered until January. I would like Brown on a low contract that increases if he plays. Kind of a pay as you play but a bit fairer to Brown as he would be unlikely to start ahead of Duffy, ward, Greer. Pick Wharton ahead of Brown and see how he gets on. Then you have Brown to fall back onto if Wharton can't cope. Having said that Lenihan could fill in a CB as well.
Sounds realistic.

Do we have reasonable expectations for Greer...if he starts, can he play solid defence...or, is he basically fit to walk out on the pitch & chew gum at the same time? :lol: Hey, if he can provide some stability, set the defence and eliminate some rookie mistakes amongst those youngsters previously mentioned, I will take him, & be glad he's with Rovers.

El Sphero
New signing

Post by El Sphero » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:04 am

thehatts wrote: I would like Brown on a low contract that increases if he plays.
You had me worried for a second there :lol:

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Lenihan definitely deserves a starting spot in a holding/defensive midfield role. I think he showed last season that he was more consistent than Akpan who can be great but often wasn't and Lowe certainly shouldn't get in there ahead of him in my opinion.

One of the key things will be what he decides to do with Marshall, that may well largely depend on how well Henley can perform at right back or even Lowe.

Bennett finished last season very well so I'd happily see him on the right wing, but I get the impression that Coyle does like Feeney a lot. So we'll see I guess.

Think I quite like the idea of 4-4-1-1 with Graham operating slightly deeper behind Stokes.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:59 pm

I don't get what's to like about Feeney. He has no confidence to do anything of note on the ball and doesn't even use his "pace" to do the full back. His only saving grace is a good delivery for set pieces.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm

So, I poached this from the Walsall thread because it's an interesting (at least to me) question.
mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm
thehatts wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm
The squad/team we have now would beat our team from last season. Just need to keep progressing each season. If we go up add a few of the best league 1 players to the squad. Premier league players on loan and we would be fine in championship.
It would yes, but our team last season was relegation fodder. The real question: would it beat the team from the year before? I doubt it.
Well, this was a squad we put out in Feb 2016 against Fulham:

Steele
Marshall
Duffy
Hanley
Spurr
Bennett
Evans
Jordi Gómez
Brown
Graham

Subs: Raya, Henley, Watt, Ward, Grimes, Conway, Jackson

And I think we have a better side than that now.

If you go back further to the season before with a side against Wigan from May 2015 that had Rhodes, Gestede and Cairney, I think we'd struggle, but then that was probably the strongest side we had in the championship.

Remember, Mowbray has put the current squad together in League one for a pittance - and I don't think it's that far off.

Robinson
Keane
Olsson
Evans
Hanley
Kilgallon
Conway
Cairney
Rhodes
Gestede
King

Subs: Eastwood, Lowe, Dunn, Varney, Williamson, Taylor, Feeney

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:55 pm

Not a criticism but it hasn't been so much of a pittance in the context of league one. The stupidity of course being that we couldn't do what we have done in terms of recruitment while in the championship. I won't bang on about it again though.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:55 pm
Not a criticism but it hasn't been so much of a pittance in the context of league one. The stupidity of course being that we couldn't do what we have done in terms of recruitment while in the championship. I won't bang on about it again though.
That's true, but it's been a pittance in terms of the comparative costs of the two squads.