First Team Squad

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:55 pm
Not a criticism but it hasn't been so much of a pittance in the context of league one. The stupidity of course being that we couldn't do what we have done in terms of recruitment while in the championship. I won't bang on about it again though.
That's true, but it's been a pittance in terms of the comparative costs of the two squads.
Wages, wages, wages.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't know if any salaries dropped with relegation, but I assume that players we've recruited in League one have been on lower salaries than some we shed since the championship.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes. That was kinda my point. It is only wages assessed by the SCMP. Dump a few of your big wages and you're suddenly in compliance and you can lose as much as you want on fees. The previous squads we were comparing with were obviously largely put together during our parachute payment paradise though.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm
So, I poached this from the Walsall thread because it's an interesting (at least to me) question.
mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm
thehatts wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm
The squad/team we have now would beat our team from last season. Just need to keep progressing each season. If we go up add a few of the best league 1 players to the squad. Premier league players on loan and we would be fine in championship.
It would yes, but our team last season was relegation fodder. The real question: would it beat the team from the year before? I doubt it.
Well, this was a squad we put out in Feb 2016 against Fulham:

Steele
Marshall
Duffy
Hanley
Spurr
Bennett
Evans
Jordi Gómez
Brown
Graham

Subs: Raya, Henley, Watt, Ward, Grimes, Conway, Jackson

And I think we have a better side than that now.

If you go back further to the season before with a side against Wigan from May 2015 that had Rhodes, Gestede and Cairney, I think we'd struggle, but then that was probably the strongest side we had in the championship.

Remember, Mowbray has put the current squad together in League one for a pittance - and I don't think it's that far off.

Robinson
Keane
Olsson
Evans
Hanley
Kilgallon
Conway
Cairney
Rhodes
Gestede
King

Subs: Eastwood, Lowe, Dunn, Varney, Williamson, Taylor, Feeney
Yes by February 2016 Lambert had done his hatchet job on the squad pretty successfully.

The

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:13 pm
Gibbon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm
So, I poached this from the Walsall thread because it's an interesting (at least to me) question.
mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm
thehatts wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm
The squad/team we have now would beat our team from last season. Just need to keep progressing each season. If we go up add a few of the best league 1 players to the squad. Premier league players on loan and we would be fine in championship.
It would yes, but our team last season was relegation fodder. The real question: would it beat the team from the year before? I doubt it.
Well, this was a squad we put out in Feb 2016 against Fulham:

Steele
Marshall
Duffy
Hanley
Spurr
Bennett
Evans
Jordi Gómez
Brown
Graham

Subs: Raya, Henley, Watt, Ward, Grimes, Conway, Jackson

And I think we have a better side than that now.

If you go back further to the season before with a side against Wigan from May 2015 that had Rhodes, Gestede and Cairney, I think we'd struggle, but then that was probably the strongest side we had in the championship.

Remember, Mowbray has put the current squad together in League one for a pittance - and I don't think it's that far off.

Robinson
Keane
Olsson
Evans
Hanley
Kilgallon
Conway
Cairney
Rhodes
Gestede
King

Subs: Eastwood, Lowe, Dunn, Varney, Williamson, Taylor, Feeney
Yes by February 2016 Lambert had done his hatchet job on the squad pretty successfully.

The
Off the top of my head he hardly sold any from that starting line up. I think you are getting your managers muddled up. He didn’t sell Evans, Hanley, Conway, Cairney, Gestede or King. So pretty much Rhodes.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Well this is the team under Bowyer from the 13th September 2015 Fulham match.

Steele
Henley
Hanley
Duffy
Spurr
Marshall
Guthrie
Evans
Conway
Delfouneso
Rhodes

Subs: Raya, Kilgallon, Koita, Olsson, Lawrence, Williamson, Akpan

And I'd still rather have the current squad. Just look at our striker options now, okay so we had Rhodes and Delfouneso, but a choice of Graham, Samuel, Antonsson and Armstrong is a much stronger line-up to my eyes.

Of course, I'd love to have kept Rhodes, but it was never going to happen.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm

thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm
Off the top of my head he hardly sold any from that starting line up. I think you are getting your managers muddled up. He didn’t sell Evans, Hanley, Conway, Cairney, Gestede or King. So pretty much Rhodes.
Evans and Conway are still with us?

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Well this is the team under Bowyer from the 13th September 2015 Fulham match.

Steele
Henley
Hanley
Duffy
Spurr
Marshall
Guthrie
Evans
Conway
Delfouneso
Rhodes

Subs: Raya, Kilgallon, Koita, Olsson, Lawrence, Williamson, Akpan

And I'd still rather have the current squad. Just look at our striker options now, okay so we had Rhodes and Delfouneso, but a choice of Graham, Samuel, Antonsson and Armstrong is a much stronger line-up to my eyes.

Of course, I'd love to have kept Rhodes, but it was never going to happen.
I agree.

Our best chance of a return to prem was our first two seasons. Then unfortuantely the sell off had to happened. If we could have got one more season of Rhodes & Gestede together but tighten up the defence a little bit we could have at least made the playoffs. Unfortunately we could no longer afford the players and one by one under various managers our best players got sold. Gestede, Cairney, Rhodes, King, Hanley, Duffy.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm
thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:37 pm
Evans and Conway are still with us?
Correct just pointing out to MrB that when he says PL did a great job dismantling that starting line up he sold hardly any of them. Probably just Rhodes and a couple of players not really bothered about.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.
I might have misread what he meant. Either way PL didn’t sell too many of our better players. That process had already started. I can only think of Rhodes. PL did not sell Gestede, Cairney, hanley, King, Duffy. For me the only decent player he sold was Rhodes. The rest were ok but not at the level of those I just listed. I’m sure he is getting Bowyer and OC transfers muddled up with PL.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm

thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
I might have misread what he meant. Either way PL didn’t sell too many of our better players. That process had already started. I can only think of Rhodes. PL did not sell Gestede, Cairney, hanley, King, Duffy. For me the only decent player he sold was Rhodes. The rest were ok but not at the level of those I just listed. I’m sure he is getting Bowyer and OC transfers muddled up with PL.
Let me know if I have this wrong and i’ll Apologise. I have it in my head that GB and OC sold the above except Rhodes.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

The important point is that we were relegated by Danny Graham who scored 7 in 18 league appearances that season, whereas Rhodes scored 6 in 18 for Middlesbrough.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:05 pm

He'd have scored more for us. Cos things.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:17 pm

Well he scored 3 the following season and Graham scored 12 so it does make sense and Rhodes was playing in better squads and not under the Evil Dean Lambert.