First Team Squad

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17839
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Gibbon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Dean Lambert? :yeahright:

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Is his name Dean or is he the Dean of all those with the name Lambert? While we're at it, who's the provost? Is there a president or chancellor?

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.
Not sure what happened there; there was loads more to the post; typing on phones whilst in meetings about more important things, innit.

But yes: I was meaning that the team in Feb was when Lambert had done his job disassembling. Compare it to the start of the season; it was weaker post Lambert's transfer window.

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2586
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.
Not sure what happened there; there was loads more to the post; typing on phones whilst in meetings about more important things, innit.

But yes: I was meaning that the team in Feb was when Lambert had done his job disassembling. Compare it to the start of the season; it was weaker post Lambert's transfer window.
discussed before and the sale/loss of Gestede, King, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley were done by GB and OC. What big name players did PL sell apart from Rhodes? I might be forgetting some players but as you don’t answer this particular question i’ll assume i’m Correct. Call PL a shit manager, shit at tac tics but don’t say he sold most of the players.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm

thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm
thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.
I might have misread what he meant. Either way PL didn’t sell too many of our better players. That process had already started. I can only think of Rhodes. PL did not sell Gestede, Cairney, hanley, King, Duffy. For me the only decent player he sold was Rhodes. The rest were ok but not at the level of those I just listed. I’m sure he is getting Bowyer and OC transfers muddled up with PL.
Let me know if I have this wrong and i’ll Apologise. I have it in my head that GB and OC sold the above except Rhodes.
You're probably right. I just mostly associate Lambert with that godawful run where he'd decided trying to score was somehow optional & blaming our best player for not being a 7 foot tall target man.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 pm

thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.
Not sure what happened there; there was loads more to the post; typing on phones whilst in meetings about more important things, innit.

But yes: I was meaning that the team in Feb was when Lambert had done his job disassembling. Compare it to the start of the season; it was weaker post Lambert's transfer window.
discussed before and the sale/loss of Gestede, King, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley were done by GB and OC. What big name players did PL sell apart from Rhodes? I might be forgetting some players but as you don’t answer this particular question i’ll assume i’m Correct. Call PL a shit manager, shit at tac tics but don’t say he sold most of the players.
No you're right, he didn't. Just our best one at the time (and the best of that bunch) when we needed a goalscorer and he needed to adapt his tactics instead of being beligerant. I thought he'd sold Marshall as well, but that was later.

thehatts
Ageing international
Posts: 2586
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by thehatts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 pm
thehatts wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 pm
Wasn't he saying that we ended up with that team AFTER he had done his evil work? Who knows where he was going with "The" however. It might have been inspired. Might not.
Not sure what happened there; there was loads more to the post; typing on phones whilst in meetings about more important things, innit.

But yes: I was meaning that the team in Feb was when Lambert had done his job disassembling. Compare it to the start of the season; it was weaker post Lambert's transfer window.
discussed before and the sale/loss of Gestede, King, Cairney, Duffy, Hanley were done by GB and OC. What big name players did PL sell apart from Rhodes? I might be forgetting some players but as you don’t answer this particular question i’ll assume i’m Correct. Call PL a shit manager, shit at tac tics but don’t say he sold most of the players.
No you're right, he didn't. Just our best one at the time (and the best of that bunch) when we needed a goalscorer and he needed to adapt his tactics instead of being beligerant. I thought he'd sold Marshall as well, but that was later.
Fair enough. I only ever wanted Rhodes to go because as you say he didn’t fit into PL tac tics. His goals dried up and he wanted to leave. If the manager didn’t go and wasn’t going to change his style we were only heading one way that season. Results picked up when the change was made and that was the best I could have hoped for with PL. I couldn’t see the point in keeping an unhappy 8m player who stopped scoring. Courtesy of PL tac tics agreed.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14689
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 pm

The solution would be to change tactic. Effectively forcing Rhodes out the team did massive damsge, and I think also most likely had an effect on our other players: why stick around with a club that drives class players out?

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17839
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 am

This is true, that team should have been set up around Rhodes, not Lambert’s ego.

Lambert’s ego is shit and can’t score for toffee.


User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17839
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Gibbon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am

What about Dean Lambert though?

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3708
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:41 am

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am
What about Dean Lambert though?
He's mates with Alan Irvine.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27100
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 pm

But yes: I was meaning that the team in Feb was when Lambert had done his job disassembling. Compare it to the start of the season; it was weaker post Lambert's transfer window.
I'm not sure that's true. We started the season having been forced to sell to balance the books, whilst being heavily restricted on who we could bring in. The embargo was lifted a week after Lambert took over, and that's the difference with the sales of Rhodes and Markus Olsson, they were sold for footballing reasons rather than because the club had been fucked over by the league. With the money, we brought in almost a full team of mostly forgetable players, some I can't even remember the names of. I think that's why Lambert gets away with the lack of money excuse, he wasted it so easily it feels like we didn't spend anything on Jackson, Ward, someone from Swansea, etc... But whether we were actually worse is just splitting margins for me - we were poor before the window because of FFP, we were still poor after the window because we didn't spend well.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13540
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: First Team Squad

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:31 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:41 am
Gibbon wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am
What about Dean Lambert though?
He's mates with Alan Irvine.
I haven't seen Alan around for a while, it's a bit odd.

Post Reply