Supporter Consultation Meetings

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Supporter Consultation Meetings

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

Who did that?

I suspect there are more complicating factors involving providing proof of entitlement etc which make it all rather complex. Dunno really.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:59 am

Who did what?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:05 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am
Who did that?

I suspect there are more complicating factors involving providing proof of entitlement etc which make it all rather complex. Dunno really.
That was me. I hit edit instead of quote. Again. :dunce:

Edited again for clarity without disrupting the conversation. Much.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Ah, ok. Clever monkey and silly monkey in one go... :D

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 pm

:)

So I've had a quick leaf through our neighbours at brfcs... (I know)... seems the main point of contention is the 'payday' (Mark Fish's word) loans being used to prop up expenses... other than the usual conspiracy nonsense like the massive crime that the owners would hire someone to look after their interests at the club they own.

Any rational thoughts on whether the loans are a big issue? The club has an obvious revenue problem - but this seems like very short term thinking. Given FFP this will presumably have an adverse effect on the budget and therefore the amount of money available.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 pm

theadore wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 pm
:)

So I've had a quick leaf through our neighbours at brfcs... (I know)... seems the main point of contention is the 'payday' (Mark Fish's word) loans being used to prop up expenses... other than the usual conspiracy nonsense like the massive crime that the owners would hire someone to look after their interests at the club they own.

Any rational thoughts on whether the loans are a big issue? The club has an obvious revenue problem - but this seems like very short term thinking. Given FFP this will presumably have an adverse effect on the budget and therefore the amount of money available.
Seemed a non-issue to me. The club has regular payments to make and irregular income. The club borrows money rather than magics it out of thin air when there's a cash flow issue. And then pays it back. Cheston looked bemused as to what the problem was.

I'm sure you know already what the complaint would be if the club was keeping millions of pounds back in reserve in the bank.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 pm

So what did Mowbray have to say about the players then? Spill the beans!

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:09 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 pm
So what did Mowbray have to say about the players then? Spill the beans!
He let slip that one who played for him 15 years ago was called Kevin. ;)

He singled out a few for praise. I don't think it would be right to be too specific on a public forum. But he thinks as a group they're embarrassed where they are in the league, and he believes they have the ability to be higher. He thinks they're enjoying working under him. But that's the cliched stuff. He also said David Lowe and Dunn have been invaluable in helping him pick the teams so far.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

The loan stuff was another example of people looking for anything to complain about - usually in contradiction of something else they wanted.

Guarantee we will spend more on players! Why are we having to take out short term loans to cover expenses! I want more communication! I want to talk over you and stop you answering the questions that fans groups had provided to the event beforehand because that is MY idea of communication!

The bits where someone would ask a question, be given an answer, and then attack the club (usually Mike) for an answer they hadn't given were surreal. It was all a bit Trumpesque - as if you pretend that something is the case, maybe everyone else in the room will think they are the mad ones.

It was just disappointing they didn't walk out this time and we had to put up with the nonsense for the whole meeting.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:51 pm

"GUARANTEE WE WON'T GO INTO ADMINISTRATION in the next two years!"
"Well obviously I can't do that, but as things are there's no chance of it"
"Aha, so we are going into administration!"

"...if you look around other clubs, there's no 'best model' for communication"
(half an hour later, when we're supposed to on to season tickets) "Why don't you invent a 'best model' for communication then?"

"I live near Fleetwood, and they give free tickets to school kids. Why don't Rovers do that?"
"Er, we do. It was mentioned at the start of the meeting."

"You don't care about loyal fans - why did the Liverpool away game go straight to open sale?"
"It didn't - priority was given to season ticket holders and it sold out without going on open sale"
"Well why wasn't priority given to fans who go to away games then?"

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Classic.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:00 pm

The best model for communication one was interesting. There seemed to be an implication that the club should come up with this as opposed to the fans. The onus clearly needs to be on the fans to explain what the structure and nature of meetings should be, not the club. There wasn't a great deal of responsibility being taken by people in the room for that.

It's been put on the fans forum agenda so if anyone has any suggestions for how it could be improved (ignoring the ludicrous desire to have meetings with the owners just so people can be rude to them) that'd be helpful.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm

My personal opinion is that Paul Senior should look at how John Williams adopted the role as a kind of spokesperson for the board (long before he replaced Rob Coar as chairman).

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Slick b'tard that he is. As I said to you last night, he's exactly the kind of person the club needs and I envy that level of fleetness of tongue - it's rare you get an answer of much substance of course :D

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 pm

As highlighted previously it is always difficult to look further than Rovers current league position. It is good that Rovers do not hide behind press releases and face the public. More so in the case of Mike Cheston who was probably making his first appearance since the dismissal of the outstanding candidate Owen Coyle. Sounds he is more of a facts and figures man and not suited to picking the right man for a job. Paul Senior on the other hand is a different personality and i agree he is what Rovers need. A man out there promoting the club. He also brought in Lucas Joao and more than likely played a big part in bringing in Tony Mowbray. Although not setting the world alight these two additions have given Rovers a chance of avoiding relegation. As for Mowbray hailing David Lowe and David Dunn for helping pick the team?...isn't that easy? One guy picks the best player and the other picks the next best player and so on. Its a shame Steele always ends up in goal. He must be really rubbish at football.