Is it time for owen to go??? Well he's gone

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Is it time for owen to go??? Well he's gone

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 pm

mrblackbat wrote:Doesn't really matter. Honestly.
Exactly.

The poor slob (whoever he is) has 15 games to fix the shitfest, keep Rovers up, & make the case for him keeping the job next season. Why would he want it, based on Rovers recent history of hire/fire.

Lord, what a mess we've got.

mcflash
New signing

Post by mcflash » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 pm

The time to get rid of Coyle was December at the latest and give a new manager time to look at players and see who he wanted to get rid of and who he wanted to bring in.

What's happened now is a complete joke, new manager has to try and get Owen Coyle's team to play football. Ridiculous. I'm starting to think that going down might be best and hope it happens again and we end up in league two and then these owners might sell up and somebody that knows something about football might buy us and we can slowly climb back up the league. We are only going one way as long as these people own the club.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Although it's unlikely given the January we had that the squad would have been improved regardless... And it's unlikely that anyone can do much else than our current position.

El Sphero
New signing

Post by El Sphero » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Going down is the worst thing that could happen in my opinion. People seem to think we'll bounce straight back stronger than ever, when in reality we'd be nowhere near the best/ second best team in League 1 based on the state of the club now. Not to mention we also consistently lose to League 1/2 teams in the first round of the league cup every year.

I'm hoping that we'll get that 'new manager effect' and get some wins in the first couple of games in charge, but I feel 15 games should be just about enough time to be able to (potentially) save us - I agree with those who said this should've happened in December.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm

I noticed SAS have already weighed in...not that I believe Venkys read twitter comments made by ex-footballers.

It appears the vast majority at "the other" Rovers board want Rowett.

Do we have a poll up on this yet?! :hyper:

RoverSteve
Promising youngster

Post by RoverSteve » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:21 am

El Sphero wrote:Going down is the worst thing that could happen in my opinion. People seem to think we'll bounce straight back stronger than ever, when in reality we'd be nowhere near the best/ second best team in League 1 based on the state of the club now. Not to mention we also consistently lose to League 1/2 teams in the first round of the league cup every year.

I'm hoping that we'll get that 'new manager effect' and get some wins in the first couple of games in charge, but I feel 15 games should be just about enough time to be able to (potentially) save us - I agree with those who said this should've happened in December.
I dont trust the owners to fully understand the financial ramifications of another relegation, especially when promotion is nowhere near easy. 15 games is enough games to get us out of this, especially when you consider we have to play Burton, Wigan, Cardiff and Bristol City

one of the problems we have continually had is this weird sort of disconnect between the managers and the owners regarding identifying players and actually going out and getting them.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:16 am

Bets have stopped being taken on Nigel Adkins being the next Rovers manager. He did pretty well at Bangor, Scunthorpe and Southampton similarly to how Coyle did at Burnley. Adkins was sacked at his last two attempts in English football. Similar again to Coyle. So maybe Rovers have now turned into the last chance saloon for managers which fits the bill really as no manager who has his reputation intact will come anywhere near Ewood park.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:32 am

I find the time baffling unless the new manager and his team are in today and it was effectively planned and prearranged.

Biggest game of the season in 2 days where you'd have planned, if making the change, to allow the manager time with the players.

But this is Venky's.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 am

mcflash wrote:The time to get rid of Coyle was December at the latest and give a new manager time to look at players and see who he wanted to get rid of and who he wanted to bring in.
But then that would be just after Coyle had been nominated for manager of the month and things briefly looked a little better? I don't think there is an ideal time to get rid of a manager, it's a judgement call made in the moment. You can't delay it once you've reached that point, and you can't preempt it assuming you'll want to do it at an inconvenient point in the future.

Coyle was a bad choice, too many concerns about him to ever truly believe he'd work out. But the thing that perhaps isn't considered is that he could still have been the best out of a bunch of bad choices. We're a poor side in comparison to other teams in this division. Our owners have a poor reputation. Our fans are self-destructive. We're in the bottom three and hoping we can find a manager who can counter-balance all the factors that are taking us down. But surely if anyone has the talent to make that kind of difference, they're not going to be aiming their sights much higher than bottom of the Championship? We're more likely to end up with someone just like Coyle, except worse. :(

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:43 am

Darth Rover wrote: So maybe Rovers have now turned into the last chance saloon for managers which fits the bill really as no manager who has his reputation intact will come anywhere near Ewood park.
Exactly. We're fucked.

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:47 am

If you accept the premise that Coyle isn't good enough - then frankly why does the timing matter. 'Biggest game of the season' or not, how much worse could the interim management be? and if lots, then maybe Coyle should still be kept.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 am

Honestly, it doesn't matter.

bobbyoc
Promising youngster

Post by bobbyoc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:13 am

I hope this doesnt affect the Efe Ambrose deal :lol:
very interesting to see who would actually be interested in taking the job.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

bobbyoc wrote:I hope this doesnt affect the Efe Ambrose deal :lol:
I was wondering how many other managers have been sacked in the time taken to complete a transfer. :D