Blackburn Rovers/QPR, Feb. 4

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What does QPR stand for anyway?

Queens Presidential Revulsion
No votes
Quark Particle Research
No votes
Quiet Penguin Rebellion
63%
Quality Parsnip Restaurant
13%
13%
Quarterly Performance Review
13%

Total votes: 8

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn Rovers/QPR, Feb. 4

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:37 pm

I'd like to here from someone who attended the match today. From what i have read it seems we were lucky to win. QPR had more than double the shots on target we had. Still though like the old saying if you don't take your chances then prepare to be punished. I am not confident Rovers have it in them to get out of the bottom three. The lack of quality reinforcements in January hasn't helped together with the almost head in the sand belief we have enough about us to get out of trouble from those in hot seats down Rovers HQ. We have been inthe bottom virtually all season and nothing seems to suggest we can change that. I am too old for a last day escapology act.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I went today. A draw would've been a fair result though speaking to some QPR fans at the train station, they were adamant the header they had crossed the line. Rovers were generally better in possession but a lot of the time they couldn't make any of it. Still shaky at the back though, if QPR had any end product we'd have been battered. They looked very much like they sent up not to lose and then get a late goal as we started pressing later in the game, which is a pretty reasonable tactic consider our penchant for late concentration lapses.

Bennett was my man of the match though the impetus definitely changed with Mahoney's introduction (Allan also did well after coming on). Mulgrew played well but misplaced some crucial passes at times costing us chances. Feeney was great for the last 15 minutes and created the goal with a great run and through ball but was largely anonymous for the rest of the game. Missed a sitter too, though his tracking back and work effort improved for the second half as a whole. Lowe didn't do badly in an unfamiliar position but he was very rekying on on the direction of Lenihan. Conway was our weakest player. He didn't play badly as such but he looked utterly bereft of coincidence. Though that being said Graham didn't get a look in all game, though because QPR defended so deeply we created very few chances generally.

As a critic, I was pleased to report Steele's decision making was better and he deserved his clean sheet but his distribution left a lot to be desired.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I should add the chants of Coyle Out were a bit baffling today. They came just before we scored, and went into overdrive after we scored. Firstly, we had just scored so what there was to gripe about, I'm unsure.

Secondly, while some complained he took Conway off and not Feeney, he did at last introduce Mahoney as called for, and was rewarded in Feeney creating the goal and holding up the ball well to preserve possession at the end of the game.

I don't know if I'm confident we can rely on him to consistently get the wins we need but today was definitely a case of damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Awful game, with no team deserved of 3 points, but I ain't going to lie that last min winner felt good :hyper:

With the results going like they did, was absolutely essential that we won!

Hopefully that clean sheet will give the defence confidence. I really do think Mulgrew is a class act whatever position he plays. If we can get Hoban fit sooner rather than later, and have him play alongside Lenihan and Mulgrew sitting just in front, I think we will see better performances defensively.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:51 pm

RoverthePennines wrote:I should add the chants of Coyle Out were a bit baffling today. They came just before we scored, and went into overdrive after we scored. Firstly, we had just scored so what there was to gripe about, I'm unsure.

Secondly, while some complained he took Conway off and not Feeney, he did at last introduce Mahoney as called for, and was rewarded in Feeney creating the goal and holding up the ball well to preserve possession at the end of the game.

I don't know if I'm confident we can rely on him to consistently get the wins we need but today was definitely a case of damned if he did, damned if he didn't.
Emnes setup the goal... :?

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:16 pm

Emnes played the final ball in but Feeney put him there in the first place.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Much needed win. Now we need at least 2 wins from the next 3 games. Anything against shef W is a bonus. 3 points against Roth and Burton are a must. Great result today. Does not matter how you get them at this stage.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Good report, thanks, Rover the Pennines.

Darth, you are correct in your assertion we have been in relegation zone practically the whole season, and last minute escapism probably will not occur, and you are also right when you say the lack of the reinforcements has not helped us.

Williams was missed today as well as Hoban. But can we say they were missed that drastically since a clean sheet was obtained?

I still believe if we can get all our defenders healthy, it will go a long way towards helping pull us out of the RZ. But as some of the rest of you say we have got to win vs Rotherham & Burton. I am afraid if we do not win those two games the jig is up and we might as well start preparing for life in League 1.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:53 pm

:whistle: Image

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Steele there; using his mind to warp reality and rule it out.

Thorisgodpoo
Regular international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:17 pm

It's one of those timeso that not having the technology benefits us.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:41 pm

It's karma in my opinion. QPR cheated down at Loftus Road which a simply ridiculous dive and penalty to get back in the game. Granted it was the FA Cup and we still won, but we've had rotten luck all season so about time we had one go our way. Such an important win!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Coyle does once we have Hoban back as well as Williams. I think we're pretty settled in what our strongest back 4 could be and as good as Mulgrew is there I think he will help our defensive midfield woes.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 pm

mcteeth wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing what Coyle does once we have Hoban back as well as Williams