Sheffield Wednesday/Blackburn Rovers, Feb. 14

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Is Valentines Day..

a means of corporate mind control
29%
a waste of bloody time
43%
sweet and lovely
14%
how you were conceived
14%

Total votes: 7

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Re: Sheffield Wednesday/Blackburn Rovers, Feb. 14

Post by iamarover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:08 pm

sunday

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Bloody Sunday.

I'm disappointed with Akpan. If you're going to get sent off for attacking a ref, at least get your money's worth and give him a proper thump...

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I've not seen the highlights, were the two goals justifiably disallowed? Gallagher apparently has 12 stitches in his leg from a horrible foul that only got a yellow. Does sound like a very poor refereeing performance.
Going off the highlights it doesn't show the challenge on Gallagher but Coyle seems adamant it was a poor challenge and 12 stitches tells it's own story. Emnes' shot to me looks like it bounces over the line, for Akpan's disallowed goal it definitely ricochets off his hand to put the ball in his path to shoot so I'd say was correctly chalked off. His push was barely a push at all but I guess if you raise your hands to the ref you get sent off.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Rover the Top wrote:Bloody Sunday.

I'm disappointed with Akpan. If you're going to get sent off for attacking a ref, at least get your money's worth and give him a proper thump...
Agreed, he had to be sent off, but he essentially gently pushes him in the midriff.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:29 pm

I may get shot down for this but I still feel that we're not too far off being an okay side. Generally speaking we score in most games and create a lot of chances, even against the top sides and I think I'm right that we've only lost by more than 1 goal twice this season. Most losses are very narrow and have come late in games, granted that is not a recipe for success.

Both goals we conceded last night, like so many we have conceded were horribly soft as was just about concentration and organisation on set pieces. All the injuries and disruptions we've had defensively won't have helped create stability and a solid base to build on, but I don't know whether to level the blame at Coyle and the coaches in training or at the players come the games themselves.

Overall I think we've been unlucky both on and off the pitch with injuries and referees all season, but I'm also a believer in making your own luck but doing all of the basics right, which we never seem to do consistently for 90 minutes.

We've got Burton, Bristol and Wigan to play which may go a long way to deciding our fate this season, but I still think we'll be okay.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Actually reading all the bits in the LT everyone seems clear it hit Akpan's chest :shrug:

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 pm

mcteeth wrote:Actually reading all the bits in the LT everyone seems clear it hit Akpan's chest :shrug:
Whatever else can be said about his reaction, it wasn't that of someone who'd just intentionally handled the ball.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:12 pm

mcteeth wrote:I may get shot down for this but I still feel that we're not too far off being an okay side.

Overall I think we've been unlucky both on and off the pitch with injuries and referees all season, but I'm also a believer in making your own luck but doing all of the basics right, which we never seem to do consistently for 90 minutes.

We've got Burton, Bristol and Wigan to play which may go a long way to deciding our fate this season, but I still think we'll be okay.
We had Rotherham, & couldn't pick up 3 pts. Essentially, 1 pointers won't get us out of the RZ...not that we're good at getting ties, either.

You were correct when you said we don't do the basics well. That, combined with injuries, mediocre talent, absentee owners, & a less than stellar manager all point to relegation.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:17 pm

And another thing... :rtm: :rtm:
I am not sure there is one person in the entire organization- from owner down to waterboy- we could not exist without.

I think I read somewhere England's trainer works for Blackburn. But other than him, who in the entire organization personifies the club motto? Arte et Labore

Thorisgodpoo
Regular international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm

The arable farmers.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Rumour is the Man U FA Cup tie is going to be switched to Old Trafford...no not that Old Trafford the other one. Since it is going to be a cricket score...

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Darth Rover wrote:Rumour is the Man U FA Cup tie is going to be switched to Old Trafford...no not that Old Trafford the other one. Since it is going to be a cricket score...
I protest. I'm not saying we're going to win by any means, however we are historically and recently a good cup team, and, Sam Allardyce's tenure excluded, we have a good track record against United.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:03 pm

RoverthePennines wrote:
Darth Rover wrote:Rumour is the Man U FA Cup tie is going to be switched to Old Trafford...no not that Old Trafford the other one. Since it is going to be a cricket score...
I protest. I'm not saying we're going to win by any means, however we are historically and recently a good cup team, and, Sam Allardyce's tenure excluded, we have a good track record against United.
If memory serves me, 3 years ago, Rovers got a replay vs ManCity; & 2 years ago, vs Liverpool.

Maybe it happens again this year, just so Mourinho gripes more about fixture fatigue :lol:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 pm

WacoRover wrote:
RoverthePennines wrote:
If memory serves me, 3 years ago, Rovers got a replay vs ManCity; & 2 years ago, vs Liverpool.

Maybe it happens again this year, just so Mourinho gripes more about fixture fatigue :lol:
What happened last year?

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Oh shit, yeah. I'd erased that from my mind.