Blackburn/ManU, FA Cup.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

In arable farming, which is the best fertiliser for cultivating root vegetables.

Horse manure
11%
Cow manure
11%
Kestrel manure
11%
Igor Tudor Manure
22%
--------------------
22%
Manure stored in Swedish bakeware
22%

Total votes: 9

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Blackburn/ManU, FA Cup.

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 am

It was a good effort, we played as well as we could have hoped for, scored one good goal and had decent chances to add more. We were expected to lose, to keep the score down to one goal against a much superior side on paper should feel like an achievement. And yet it feels disappointing that we can be at our best and still not beat a side who don't look like they need to get out of first gear. I'm not coming away from that match with renewed optimism for the rest of the season.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 am

The thing that takes the optimism away for me is the two goals we conceded. They were awful. The commentators were lauding Mkhitaryan's pass for the first, but even I could have made that pass, Rashford was in that much space; and then Steele's attempt at closing him off was pitiful. Same again for the second, was a poor attempt at playing the offside trap, with too big gaps between the back line.

The other 88 minutes we played superbly, yet for all that effort and performance, two minutes cost us utterly. And happens all too often, and is why we're most likely going down to League 1.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Completely agree and that's what I was wanting to articulate in my previous post that in a lot of league games this season we play quite well but let in the most shockingly poor goals.

We can easily play that well for the rest of the season but if we have those momentary lapses defensively, as we've done all season, we'll still conceded stupid goals that stop you winning games.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:23 pm

True; I am still trying to get over going up 1-0 on ManU, & Mourinho having to bring in his Big Guns to win! Ah, well, back to reality!

I have to believe the 6 guys we didn't have for this match will help us, going forward. I appreciate Emnes' energy, throw Gallagher back into the mix, that helps our offence. Ditto when we get Bennett back.

On the back line, Hoban returning would be a huge boost, & Akpan, in spite of his idiocy the last time out, is solid.

No hangover from the FA Cup; nor am I under any illusions how tough the rest of the season will be. We should have a pretty good idea where we'll be next season after Friday!

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm

A question...
Any gripes tactically on Coyle?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:50 pm

WacoRover wrote:True; I am still trying to get over going up 1-0 on ManU, & Mourinho having to bring in his Big Guns to win! Ah, well, back to reality!

I have to believe the 6 guys we didn't have for this match will help us, going forward. I appreciate Emnes' energy, throw Gallagher back into the mix, that helps our offence attack. Ditto when we get Bennett back.

On the back line, Hoban returning would be a huge boost, & Akpan, in spite of his idiocy the last time out, is solid.

No hangover from the FA Cup; nor am I under any illusions how tough the rest of the season will be. We should have a pretty good idea where we'll be next season after Friday!
Fixed for you! :D

theadore
Inexperienced manager

Post by theadore » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 pm

WacoRover wrote:A question...
He took the rovers managers job which appears to be a terrible career move.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Making Lowe captain, playing him in midfield when you have the options of Mulgrew, Akpan and even Evans when fit. Don't mind him slotting in at right back but as Sunday showed having people comfortable on the ball and able to pass properly, like Guthrie and Mulgrew, makes a big difference.

Also why the team cannot keep a solid defensive shape and tactical discipline for a full 90 minutes. Yes the players take a level of responsibility but ultimately it rests on Coyle to instill that. Also the way we defend set pieces. The game at Wednesday was a replica of Sunday, we played pretty well against a good side, create chances, scored goals and did more than enough to get something out of the game but we concede 4 truly shocking goals through lapses in concentration.

The marking on the set plays at Wednesday wasn't even bad, it was just non-existent, and forget that it was Man Utd how we defended both goals was utterly woeful.

So I take issue with Coyle not getting that organisation and discipline into the players as a complete standard every game, then likewise there is a lack of responsibility on the pitch. But I guess you look to your captain as a leader on the pitch and to make those decisions and make sure we're organised. but Coyle chose a player that doesn't appear to have those attributes.

He should also use Emnes more.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:09 pm

mcteeth wrote:

He should also use Emnes more.
I agree with that. The rest I don't.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:18 pm

mrblackbat wrote:I agree with that. The rest I don't.
You don't agree that the team cannot keep a solid defensive shape and tactical discipline for a full 90 minutes? I thought that was self evident.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Good discussion, & I appreciate the help. Thanks, guys.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
You don't agree that the team cannot keep a solid defensive shape and tactical discipline for a full 90 minutes? I thought that was self evident.
Yeah the Lowe thing is a personal gripe but the rest is clear for anyone to see. I'd say Mahoney should have been used more too, but guessing we'll see a lot of him now for the next 15 games.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
That's not quite what he says though:-

"Also why the team cannot keep a solid defensive shape and tactical discipline for a full 90 minutes. Yes the players take a level of responsibility but ultimately it rests on Coyle to instill that."

I don't think you can blame Coyle for the players losing focus for 2 minutes in a game.

Though I stand corrected on the goals against Man U, and the set piece defending against Wednesday. :oops:
Last edited by mrblackbat on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:10 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Ethiaa wrote:
I'd say Mahoney should have been used more too, but guessing we'll see a lot of him now for the next 15 games.
I'd like to see that as well.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 pm

If only it was just 2 minutes :yeahright: