Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:56 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Not saying that happens again anytime soon, but its amazing what happens when the club finds ways to win/tie late, as opposed to conceding early, playing catchup, & losing late, time & again. Mowbray deserves some credit for that.
You think it's all down to him in just three weeks? :yeahright: In the three games before he came we had an injury time winner against QPR, a late equaliser against Rotherham and two late goals wrongly ruled out at Sheffield Wednesday... Plus a spirited performance in the cup of course,

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:12 pm

No, I simply said he deserves some credit for the resurgence. The players deserve some, & probably Rovers' mgmt as well, for hiring him. I think we can all agree that this was a better hire than Coyle was.

Look, I am not going to go way over the top here. Rovers are still basically a relegation waiting to happen, but with the recent improvement in form, who knows, it could go either way. I'm leaning towards them staying up in the championship. But, I think we still need a couple of wins.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:56 pm
WacoRover wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Not saying that happens again anytime soon, but its amazing what happens when the club finds ways to win/tie late, as opposed to conceding early, playing catchup, & losing late, time & again. Mowbray deserves some credit for that.
You think it's all down to him in just three weeks? :yeahright: In the three games before he came we had an injury time winner against QPR, a late equaliser against Rotherham and two late goals wrongly ruled out at Sheffield Wednesday... Plus a spirited performance in the cup of course,
No it is not all down to Mowbray in three weeks. The players deserve a lot of credit as well.

Simply put, they had little respect for Coyle and it showed. Against better teams they raised their performance naturally, but against average, or poorer teams they needed better leadership and guidance. The minute some common sense, professionalism, shared beliefs and group confidence returned we looked a far better team. Big result early away at Burton helped, then a couple of narrow wins.

Still a tad concerned at the number of goals we are conceding after seemingly solving that issue early on.

In a funny sort of way I have found this season much interesting than battling to reach 9th place. Hopefully, we can survive and then fingers crossed Mowbray is given a chance next year with some of his own players and a decent pre-season.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm

So you DO put it all down to Mowbray in three weeks, then..... ;)

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Every Mowbray gained is two Mowbrays dropped

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm
So you DO put it all down to Mowbray in three weeks, then..... ;)
No, the players deserve credit for not having respect for Coyle and letting it show... ;)

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 am

Strange decision to appoint Coyle. His last three appointments before us at Bolton, Wigan and Houston did not go to plan. His Burnley links on top of his recent poor record were always going to irritate. Felt a tad inevitable all year that we would be relegated under him. Warnock was supposedly in the frame, but then we suddenly found our 'outstanding candidate'.

Still all to play for, but I have said for a while that I think we will just about scrape survival. Recent results are a lot more encouraging, as are our performances. I think the Burton away game will prove a big result as they go down instead.

Yes the players deserve a lot of credit of late and I am pleased they have rallied round. Dropping another division would be very damaging for the club, its employees, finances, supporters and ongoing potential. Further damaging the local community and the people / businesses that also rely on the Rovers.

It is hard to explain why they have underperformed all year and struggled against all and sundry. With margins so small, it could literally be confidence and belief and shared goals making the current difference. I fully expected the team to rally somewhat towards the end of this season. It remains disgraceful the way we abuse pre-season, lose momentum, gift points, prepare poorly and play catch up for six months. I hope we take a much more professional approach this summer irrespective of the division we play in.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

We appointed Coyle again?!?! :o

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:59 pm

We need football, badly!

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm
We appointed Coyle again?!?! :o
No Blackbat, thankfully just the once. Were you not paying attention?

Notice you were against the sacking of Coyle for some strange, hard to fathom, illogical reason. Impressed we beat Newcastle twice? Or just like underachieving?

“The main reason going down and rebuilding would be better than firing the manager, in my opinion, is because if we fire the manager we definitely will go down”.

Really? If we fire the manager we definitely go down? Nailed on? Is that in the FA rule book?

"Of course, I think really we'd be better sticking with Coyle and getting some stability back, ideally staying in the Championship and building from there. I just don't see a change of manager having anything other than a negative net effect as it has done every single time we've done it over the last eight years or so. Time to learn from the manager merry go round.

:) I would fancy you to get more points per game than Coyle.

Our negative net effect so far includes an unbeaten run and higher points per game tally.

When Ince left, our points per game tally improved with Allardyce.
When Black / Berg / Appleton left our points per game tally improved with Bowyer.
In his last season, when Bowyer left, our points per game tally improved with Lambert.
When Coyle left, our points per game tally improved with Mowbray.

Other than that you are absolutely spot on.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Position when Hughes resigned: Premier League, 7th
Position when Ince sacked: Premier League, 19th.
Position when Allardyce sacked: Premier League, 13th
Position when Kean resigned: Championship, 3rd
Position when Berg sacked: Championship, 16th
Position when Appleton sacked: Championship, 15th
Position when Bowyer sacked: Championship, 16th
Position when Lambert announced he was walking away: Championship,18th
Position when Coyle sacked: Championship, 22nd.
Current position: Championship, 22nd.

Something odd going on if every manager is improving on his predecessor... :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm

I didn't realise being 22nd but having fired your manager gave you an exemption from relegation.... ;)

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm
I didn't realise being 22nd but having fired your manager gave you an exemption from relegation.... ;)
:) Made me laugh. Well you are right it doesn't. But we are playing catch up and trying to undo all Wee Coyles good work.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:54 pm
Position when Hughes resigned: Premier League, 7th
Position when Ince sacked: Premier League, 19th.
Position when Allardyce sacked: Premier League, 13th
Position when Kean resigned: Championship, 3rd
Position when Berg sacked: Championship, 16th
Position when Appleton sacked: Championship, 15th
Position when Bowyer sacked: Championship, 16th
Position when Lambert announced he was walking away: Championship,18th
Position when Coyle sacked: Championship, 22nd.
Current position: Championship, 22nd.

Something odd going on if every manager is improving on his predecessor... :yeahright:
We would have been relegated sooner if no improvement had been shown. Allardyce improved us and kept us up, Bowyer
prevented us going down after Berg, Lambert prevented us going down after Bowyer, hopefully Mowbray saves us this time round.

That list makes the decision to sack Allardyce look even more stupid and ill-conceived. These clowns must like losing millions.

So Kean did resign. Others still believe he was sacked for some reason.