Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by WacoRover » Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Lets assume Rovers are competitive at Brentford, win, lose or draw. The question going forward, relegation or no, should Mowbray be retained?

Under his leadership, Rovers are 4-7-3 (19 pts in 14 games). Of the three losses, 1 was to a promoted team, 1 to a playoff team. Road win at Forest. Road ties at Norwich & Burton. Five clean sheets. Allowed 15 goals in 14 games. Scored 14 in 15. Average home attendance improved, so fans appear more hopeful (14,421 avg).

I'm not sure anybody else we could have got could have done much better, with this roster.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm

We should sack every manager who doesn't win every game six nil.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon May 01, 2017 5:49 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm
We should sack every manager who doesn't win every game six nil.
We should sack every manager not named Arsene Wegner, then complain about how he is not winning anything and shout WEGNER OUT!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Mon May 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Who is this Arsene Wegner, & is he any relation to Arsene Wenger, of Arsenal? If so, maybe we should look at him when Mowbray is inevitably sacked :D

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Mon May 01, 2017 7:35 pm

We should give Mowbray a chance next season definitely. And if it goes wrong we always have Alan Irvine to fall back on.

RoverSteve
Valued squad member

Post by RoverSteve » Mon May 01, 2017 11:25 pm

100% don't sack him

If we hadn't had the disastrous start we did this season, we'd still be in the mire but probably 5 or so points better off.

Dont see there being too may suitable replacements either. Mowbray is for sure doing better than Owen Coyle. Under OC we'd probably already be down.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm
The question going forward, relegation or no, should Mowbray be retained?
That shouldn't be a question asked outside the schoolboy Football Manager fantasy world.

Really, what grounds would there be to sack him - he hasn't worked miracles with a poor squad that was heading for relegation anyway?

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm
WacoRover wrote:
That shouldn't be a question asked outside the schoolboy Football Manager fantasy world.

Really, what grounds would there be to sack him - he hasn't worked miracles with a poor squad that was heading for relegation anyway?
Did you read the rest of what I wrote? If you had, its pretty obvious where I stand.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 02, 2017 12:32 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm
WacoRover wrote:

Did you read the rest of what I wrote? If you had, its pretty obvious where I stand.
And? :shrug:

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue May 02, 2017 12:38 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Lets assume Rovers are competitive at Brentford, win, lose or draw. The question going forward, relegation or no, should Mowbray be retained?

Under his leadership, Rovers are 4-7-3 (19 pts in 14 games). Of the three losses, 1 was to a promoted team, 1 to a playoff team. Road win at Forest. Road ties at Norwich & Burton. Five clean sheets. Allowed 15 goals in 14 games. Scored 14 in 15. Average home attendance improved, so fans appear more hopeful (14,421 avg).

I'm not sure anybody else we could have got could have done much better, with this roster.
There.
I never knew you to be argumentative, RtT.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue May 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Were you asking the board a question or not?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Sacking Mowbray would be ridiculous - he's done a good job with the resources he's got, he's put a bit of enthusiasm into the team, and he's got the fans onside. He's done absolutely nothing to justify being removed, relegation or not. I'm with RTT, it's not a question that even needs asking.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Tue May 02, 2017 12:59 pm

I was just making my case to keep him. I guess we're all in agreement.

UTB
New signing

Post by UTB » Tue May 02, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi lads, Boro fan here, I've read the forum a few times since Mowbray was appointed to see how he has been getting on and what the fans' opinions of him are.

I must say first of all that I wish your lot the best of luck against Brentford, to me Blackburn are a Premier League club so it saddens me to see a potential slide towards the third division (though admittedly some of those older than me would probably say Nottingham deserve to be in the highest division too). I'll be keeping an eye on that game and the Birmingham/Nottingham games, I will probably watch it if a stream is available.

Personally I think Mowbray will be a good fit for your current predicament, especially if you're still in the Championship next season. During his tenure at Boro, he was tasked with balancing the books and therefore had to scrape the bargain bin for the majority of his signings, but I think he must have some decent contacts as we signed players from all over Europe in this period, most of them were not great but they did a job for a team that needed to save money and most had some obvious potential they didn't reach. Strangely the problems for Mowbray began after he brought in some of his best signings (Adomah, Leadbitter, Friend, Ayala) but the results soon weren't good enough and he had to go. I think he is good at making a team on a shoestring budget perform to a reasonable standard, but he is unable to take it to the next level. He is also a complete bottler when the going is good (Christmas 2011 we were 1st, finished 7th. Christmas 2012 we were 2nd, finished 16th).

To sum it up succinctly, he is a good manager for a cash-strapped team, but don't get too carried away if you're somehow in the top six around Christmas. Obviously he also has the benefit at the moment of having previously worked with some of your players such as Steele, Emnes & Graham as well.

Hopefully you can stay up and it will be a small step toward both our clubs being back in the Premier League soon (assuming we're already down), obviously Venkys will have to be shook loose for that to occur unfortunately. Maybe we'll see a few Boro players loaned to Ewood Park next season, I can already think of De Sart & Ripley who would be probably be good for a lower Championship side trying to save money.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Cheers mate, all the best.