Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by WacoRover » Wed May 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Good stuff, thanks, UTB!

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm
Bowyer didn't manage us for just 16 games, did he? :doh: 108 games, 38 wins to 30 defeats, a win ratio comaprable to your beloved Sam. And there's a good chance that would have been better had he not had to work under a transfer ban and strict squad restrictions for the last year, with key players being sold to make ends meet.

Lambert hardly improved us "using Bowyer's squad" - by the end of the transfer window, we'd actually dropped down a couple of places. With funds available he made a raft of signings, most of which I'd forgive you if you've forgotten them. And we improved by climbing a whole place higher in the table from where he'd started at . 30 games in charge, won 10, lost 12. His record at Wolves is looking pretty similar, won 11 and lost 11 having splashed out around £15m in January.
No he didn't manage us for 16 games. He had loads of matches and chances to learn, but still couldn't work out there are two goals on any football pitch and you have to protect one of them. 60+ goals conceded in his first season. 50+ in his 2nd season. Wouldn't recruit a decent keeper and tried to manage without an established right back. Not sure how you have dreamt he would have been better in his last season, as even with Rhodes, Marshall, Gestede and King, plus Cairney, Hanley and Duffy in other years he was still only pushing on for 9th! On the subject of King who Bowyer didn't rate he has 15 goals in the PL this season. Must be a fluke. Pretty confident Bowyer was taking us down. Rhodes had stopped scoring and although he had improved us defensively (at last) 3 wins from 16 played meant he simply had to go.

On topic, Mowbray has done as well as could have been expected after taking over a team with 16 losses from 31 played (I think). I hope for him and the travelling fans that we win at weekend and somehow manage to stay up. It was always a long shot from the position he started from, but pleasingly we are still in with a shout. I would also have sacked Coyle after 16 matches, or even earlier, but then again I would never have recruited him.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 am
:lol: I suppose the wretched time he had at Villa, the farce whilst he was here and the poor start he made with Wolves were just teething problems then? He's a fantastic manager, only taken him 5 years and 3 clubs to get a side winning more often than it loses... over 8 games... :lol:
Villa in the PL stopped spending, relegated Bent and others to the reserves, sold Young and Milner and asked Lambert to keep them up. Which he did. Which is why they carried on employing him. You presumably saw what happened at Villa the minute they sacked him and they are still at our level.

Bowyer was shite and taking us down. 3 wins in 16 matches, embarrassing league cup defeat, porous defence, unbalanced squad. Uninspiring bloke. But from some strange reason with absolutely nothing on his CV is heralded on here as some sort of footballing oracle. No surprise to me he had to drop a level to get a new job. Lambert improved us using Bowyers squad plus some bulk recruited in January, until it was obvious promises would not be kept. Classy guy left without a pay-off to another large club in the Midlands, at our level, unlike the aforementioned oracle.

You obviously think Lambert is useless and presumably think we will win at a canter. Cushty, we need all the points we can get and playing a team with such a crap manager can only help our Venky's induced trial and tribulations.
Genuine question, what are you smoking?
Now, now Blackbat, that is not very nice. Play the ball not the man. You were pretty confident Lambert was taking Wolves down at one stage. Presume your learning curve has improved.

User avatar
dwayne cage
Inexperienced manager
Posts: 8572
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by dwayne cage » Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm

onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm
Bowyer didn't manage us for just 16 games, did he? :doh: 108 games, 38 wins to 30 defeats, a win ratio comaprable to your beloved Sam. And there's a good chance that would have been better had he not had to work under a transfer ban and strict squad restrictions for the last year, with key players being sold to make ends meet.

Lambert hardly improved us "using Bowyer's squad" - by the end of the transfer window, we'd actually dropped down a couple of places. With funds available he made a raft of signings, most of which I'd forgive you if you've forgotten them. And we improved by climbing a whole place higher in the table from where he'd started at . 30 games in charge, won 10, lost 12. His record at Wolves is looking pretty similar, won 11 and lost 11 having splashed out around £15m in January.
No he didn't manage us for 16 games. He had loads of matches and chances to learn, but still couldn't work out there are two goals on any football pitch and you have to protect one of them. 60+ goals conceded in his first season. 50+ in his 2nd season. Wouldn't recruit a decent keeper and tried to manage without an established right back. Not sure how you have dreamt he would have been better in his last season, as even with Rhodes, Marshall, Gestede and King, plus Cairney, Hanley and Duffy in other years he was still only pushing on for 9th! On the subject of King who Bowyer didn't rate he has 15 goals in the PL this season. Must be a fluke. Pretty confident Bowyer was taking us down. Rhodes had stopped scoring and although he had improved us defensively (at last) 3 wins from 16 played meant he simply had to go.

On topic, Mowbray has done as well as could have been expected after taking over a team with 16 losses from 31 played (I think). I hope for him and the travelling fans that we win at weekend and somehow manage to stay up. It was always a long shot from the position he started from, but pleasingly we are still in with a shout. I would also have sacked Coyle after 16 matches, or even earlier, but then again I would never have recruited him.
Agree with everything you are saying oojw. Personally i think we've been shot in the foot by lack of funds, idiots in charge and poor hiring of managers. Mowbray deserves a shot if we go down although i think no matter who the man is in charge in League 1 its going to be very hard to get back up. On a side not i still can't believe the little snide comments about Big Sam, yes the win ratio's might be similar but the difference being Big Sam's was in the Premier League, since then he has went on to manage several top flight English clubs which is certainly better than what Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Michael Appleton, Gary Bowyer and Paul Lambert have gone on to do for themselves. So 'beloved' or not when he was sacked some peoples 'beloved' Venky's and replaced with a talking thumb it spelled the beginning of the end for us.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13326
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Ethiaa » Thu May 04, 2017 2:30 pm

dwayne cage wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm
Personally i think we've been shot in the foot by lack of funds
:doh:

A bit like saying we've been shot in the foot by not winning enough matches.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14325
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 pm

onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 am
:lol: I suppose the wretched time he had at Villa, the farce whilst he was here and the poor start he made with Wolves were just teething problems then? He's a fantastic manager, only taken him 5 years and 3 clubs to get a side winning more often than it loses... over 8 games... :lol:
Villa in the PL stopped spending, relegated Bent and others to the reserves, sold Young and Milner and asked Lambert to keep them up. Which he did. Which is why they carried on employing him. You presumably saw what happened at Villa the minute they sacked him and they are still at our level.

Bowyer was shite and taking us down. 3 wins in 16 matches, embarrassing league cup defeat, porous defence, unbalanced squad. Uninspiring bloke. But from some strange reason with absolutely nothing on his CV is heralded on here as some sort of footballing oracle. No surprise to me he had to drop a level to get a new job. Lambert improved us using Bowyers squad plus some bulk recruited in January, until it was obvious promises would not be kept. Classy guy left without a pay-off to another large club in the Midlands, at our level, unlike the aforementioned oracle.

You obviously think Lambert is useless and presumably think we will win at a canter. Cushty, we need all the points we can get and playing a team with such a crap manager can only help our Venky's induced trial and tribulations.
Genuine question, what are you smoking?
Now, now Blackbat, that is not very nice. Play the ball not the man. You were pretty confident Lambert was taking Wolves down at one stage. Presume your learning curve has improved.
There you go smoking more dodgy stuff again....

"Confident", no. I just said I'd love him to take them down, right in the middle of his massive losing streak.

"Classy Guy" who quit on a massive losing streak, with 39.4% loss ratio, who's lost more games than he's won for his last three clubs. Bowyer had a 28.8% loss ratio, and throughout his career as manager has never lost more games than he's won. I know which I'd prefer.....
Last edited by mrblackbat on Thu May 04, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26832
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 pm

onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm
Bowyer didn't manage us for just 16 games, did he? :doh: 108 games, 38 wins to 30 defeats, a win ratio comaprable to your beloved Sam. And there's a good chance that would have been better had he not had to work under a transfer ban and strict squad restrictions for the last year, with key players being sold to make ends meet.

Lambert hardly improved us "using Bowyer's squad" - by the end of the transfer window, we'd actually dropped down a couple of places. With funds available he made a raft of signings, most of which I'd forgive you if you've forgotten them. And we improved by climbing a whole place higher in the table from where he'd started at . 30 games in charge, won 10, lost 12. His record at Wolves is looking pretty similar, won 11 and lost 11 having splashed out around £15m in January.
No he didn't manage us for 16 games. He had loads of matches and chances to learn, but still couldn't work out there are two goals on any football pitch and you have to protect one of them. 60+ goals conceded in his first season. 50+ in his 2nd season. Wouldn't recruit a decent keeper and tried to manage without an established right back. Not sure how you have dreamt he would have been better in his last season, as even with Rhodes, Marshall, Gestede and King, plus Cairney, Hanley and Duffy in other years he was still only pushing on for 9th! On the subject of King who Bowyer didn't rate he has 15 goals in the PL this season. Must be a fluke. Pretty confident Bowyer was taking us down. Rhodes had stopped scoring and although he had improved us defensively (at last) 3 wins from 16 played meant he simply had to go.

On topic, Mowbray has done as well as could have been expected after taking over a team with 16 losses from 31 played (I think). I hope for him and the travelling fans that we win at weekend and somehow manage to stay up. It was always a long shot from the position he started from, but pleasingly we are still in with a shout. I would also have sacked Coyle after 16 matches, or even earlier, but then again I would never have recruited him.
You do come out with some contrary nonsense at times. King wasn't rated by Bowyer? So which of the two 20-goal a season strikers should have made way for him? The main reason he didn't play more was because he kept breaking down with hamstring injuries every few games. It's good to see those problems are behind him, but that doesn't mean we should have played him on crutches...

You're confident Bowyer was taking us down? Based on the fact that there was daylight between us and the relegation zone, with form gradually improving? Thank god we're not "only" in 9th now, eh, things are so much better without him...

You're just being disingenuous, as usual.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu May 04, 2017 3:28 pm

dwayne cage wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm
Bowyer didn't manage us for just 16 games, did he? :doh: 108 games, 38 wins to 30 defeats, a win ratio comaprable to your beloved Sam. And there's a good chance that would have been better had he not had to work under a transfer ban and strict squad restrictions for the last year, with key players being sold to make ends meet.

Lambert hardly improved us "using Bowyer's squad" - by the end of the transfer window, we'd actually dropped down a couple of places. With funds available he made a raft of signings, most of which I'd forgive you if you've forgotten them. And we improved by climbing a whole place higher in the table from where he'd started at . 30 games in charge, won 10, lost 12. His record at Wolves is looking pretty similar, won 11 and lost 11 having splashed out around £15m in January.
No he didn't manage us for 16 games. He had loads of matches and chances to learn, but still couldn't work out there are two goals on any football pitch and you have to protect one of them. 60+ goals conceded in his first season. 50+ in his 2nd season. Wouldn't recruit a decent keeper and tried to manage without an established right back. Not sure how you have dreamt he would have been better in his last season, as even with Rhodes, Marshall, Gestede and King, plus Cairney, Hanley and Duffy in other years he was still only pushing on for 9th! On the subject of King who Bowyer didn't rate he has 15 goals in the PL this season. Must be a fluke. Pretty confident Bowyer was taking us down. Rhodes had stopped scoring and although he had improved us defensively (at last) 3 wins from 16 played meant he simply had to go.

On topic, Mowbray has done as well as could have been expected after taking over a team with 16 losses from 31 played (I think). I hope for him and the travelling fans that we win at weekend and somehow manage to stay up. It was always a long shot from the position he started from, but pleasingly we are still in with a shout. I would also have sacked Coyle after 16 matches, or even earlier, but then again I would never have recruited him.
Agree with everything you are saying oojw. Personally i think we've been shot in the foot by lack of funds, idiots in charge and poor hiring of managers. Mowbray deserves a shot if we go down although i think no matter who the man is in charge in League 1 its going to be very hard to get back up. On a side not i still can't believe the little snide comments about Big Sam, yes the win ratio's might be similar but the difference being Big Sam's was in the Premier League, since then he has went on to manage several top flight English clubs which is certainly better than what Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Michael Appleton, Gary Bowyer and Paul Lambert have gone on to do for themselves. So 'beloved' or not when he was sacked some peoples 'beloved' Venky's and replaced with a talking thumb it spelled the beginning of the end for us.
Hi DC, still battling on? Not often anyone agrees with me on here!

Allardyce is disliked due to his arrogance, manner, personality and possible hint of corruption. I get that. But he is not my Uncle, or best friend, nor my financial advisor so I judge him on his results on the pitch and they were good enough when in charge here.

Mowbray does deserve a chance whether we stay up or not. I have been quietly impressed with his work and have enjoyed his transparency and common sense responses.

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu May 04, 2017 3:32 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 pm
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:35 pm
mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:02 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 am
:lol: I suppose the wretched time he had at Villa, the farce whilst he was here and the poor start he made with Wolves were just teething problems then? He's a fantastic manager, only taken him 5 years and 3 clubs to get a side winning more often than it loses... over 8 games... :lol:
Villa in the PL stopped spending, relegated Bent and others to the reserves, sold Young and Milner and asked Lambert to keep them up. Which he did. Which is why they carried on employing him. You presumably saw what happened at Villa the minute they sacked him and they are still at our level.

Bowyer was shite and taking us down. 3 wins in 16 matches, embarrassing league cup defeat, porous defence, unbalanced squad. Uninspiring bloke. But from some strange reason with absolutely nothing on his CV is heralded on here as some sort of footballing oracle. No surprise to me he had to drop a level to get a new job. Lambert improved us using Bowyers squad plus some bulk recruited in January, until it was obvious promises would not be kept. Classy guy left without a pay-off to another large club in the Midlands, at our level, unlike the aforementioned oracle.

You obviously think Lambert is useless and presumably think we will win at a canter. Cushty, we need all the points we can get and playing a team with such a crap manager can only help our Venky's induced trial and tribulations.
Genuine question, what are you smoking?
Now, now Blackbat, that is not very nice. Play the ball not the man. You were pretty confident Lambert was taking Wolves down at one stage. Presume your learning curve has improved.
There you go smoking more dodgy stuff again....

"Confident", no. I just said I'd love him to take them down, right in the middle of his massive losing streak.

"Classy Guy" who quit on a massive losing streak, with 39.4% loss ratio, who's lost more games than he's won for his last three clubs. Bowyer had a 28.8% loss ratio, and throughout his career as manager has never lost more games than he's won. I know which I'd prefer.....
Massive losing streak? 5 on the bounce? He then won 6 out of 8. Massive winning streak?

It is rather quaint watching you compare winning ratios across divisions, but totally irrelevant. I know you love Bowyer and think he was ace. Sadly for him and you, no-one at Championship level or above agreed with you. Just your brother and Blackpool. :lol:

onlyonejackwalker
Regular international
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by onlyonejackwalker » Thu May 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:39 pm
onlyonejackwalker wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm
Bowyer didn't manage us for just 16 games, did he? :doh: 108 games, 38 wins to 30 defeats, a win ratio comaprable to your beloved Sam. And there's a good chance that would have been better had he not had to work under a transfer ban and strict squad restrictions for the last year, with key players being sold to make ends meet.

Lambert hardly improved us "using Bowyer's squad" - by the end of the transfer window, we'd actually dropped down a couple of places. With funds available he made a raft of signings, most of which I'd forgive you if you've forgotten them. And we improved by climbing a whole place higher in the table from where he'd started at . 30 games in charge, won 10, lost 12. His record at Wolves is looking pretty similar, won 11 and lost 11 having splashed out around £15m in January.
No he didn't manage us for 16 games. He had loads of matches and chances to learn, but still couldn't work out there are two goals on any football pitch and you have to protect one of them. 60+ goals conceded in his first season. 50+ in his 2nd season. Wouldn't recruit a decent keeper and tried to manage without an established right back. Not sure how you have dreamt he would have been better in his last season, as even with Rhodes, Marshall, Gestede and King, plus Cairney, Hanley and Duffy in other years he was still only pushing on for 9th! On the subject of King who Bowyer didn't rate he has 15 goals in the PL this season. Must be a fluke. Pretty confident Bowyer was taking us down. Rhodes had stopped scoring and although he had improved us defensively (at last) 3 wins from 16 played meant he simply had to go.

On topic, Mowbray has done as well as could have been expected after taking over a team with 16 losses from 31 played (I think). I hope for him and the travelling fans that we win at weekend and somehow manage to stay up. It was always a long shot from the position he started from, but pleasingly we are still in with a shout. I would also have sacked Coyle after 16 matches, or even earlier, but then again I would never have recruited him.
You do come out with some contrary nonsense at times. King wasn't rated by Bowyer? So which of the two 20-goal a season strikers should have made way for him? The main reason he didn't play more was because he kept breaking down with hamstring injuries every few games. It's good to see those problems are behind him, but that doesn't mean we should have played him on crutches...

You're confident Bowyer was taking us down? Based on the fact that there was daylight between us and the relegation zone, with form gradually improving? Thank god we're not "only" in 9th now, eh, things are so much better without him...

You're just being disingenuous, as usual.
Disingenuous? Contrary? Nonsense? :lol: Your brother thinks I am on drugs.:o

Notice you avoided any reference to Bowyer's defensive capabilities. Oh and yes, that push for 9th was simply amazing as we waxed all the parachute money whilst Bowyer tried learnt on the job. At least he obtained something tangible on his CV at long last.

The reason Lambert took over with us only having 17 points on the board was, yup you guessed it - the one and only Gary (sacked) Bowyer.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14325
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mrblackbat » Thu May 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Yeah and your beloved Lambert added soooo many to that total before announcing he was fucking off.....

If you take a league based on him starting up to his activation of the get out clause, we'd be 19th. When he took over we were 16th. I know which I prefer.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 26832
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Thu May 04, 2017 4:07 pm

dwayne cage wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 pm
On a side not i still can't believe the little snide comments about Big Sam, yes the win ratio's might be similar but the difference being Big Sam's was in the Premier League, since then he has went on to manage several top flight English clubs which is certainly better than what Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Michael Appleton, Gary Bowyer and Paul Lambert have gone on to do for themselves.
Well, maybe those other managers haven't been willing to put their hands in the cookie jar or grease the right palms? There were strong reasons to doubt Allardyce's integrity, even more so now. It's reason in itself for snide comments about him.
Bowyer did with Championship players in the Championship what Allardyce did with Premier League players in the Premier League. I don't see the justification for hating on the guy who spent 10 years working for the club whilst gushing over a shady mercenary.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by WacoRover » Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 pm

"The role of recruitment I find myself picking up the mantle." lancashiretelegraph.co.uk

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star
Posts: 1562
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed May 31, 2017 6:05 am

Should be interesting what they said to him. Glad he was able to meet with them.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17481
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Gibbon » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:24 pm


Post Reply