Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:52 am

Yeah, "probably"...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 am

Educating the fanbase about FFP one fan at a time.

It's a pile of donkey balls Doz and there is no getting away from it. It puts major restrictions on what any owner can do unless they take the huge gamble of breaking all the rules and hoping they get promotion that season since the PL will only fine you. I suspect a large chunk of our fans don't understand how hamstrung our owners are by it.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 am

doz_magic_man wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm
Even if it was possible, nobody in their right mind would do it and if they did they would have such little business acumen or sense that I wouldn't want them running a club i support. Therefore its ridiculous.

So if you want to talk about sensible comments, perhaps you should consider your own.
No credible business persons in their right mind would purchase a football club, but clearly they do. Obviously our very own Jack Walker diverted profits from his profitable businesses into a failing football club, which made no sense other than boys with toys, living the dream etc.
I disagree. The Glazer's have done a magnificent job in terms of their finances from the Manchester United purchase. There are many clubs out there that do return a healthy profit.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy our club, now, mind.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 am
Educating the fanbase about FFP one fan at a time.

It's a pile of donkey balls Doz and there is no getting away from it. It puts major restrictions on what any owner can do unless they take the huge gamble of breaking all the rules and hoping they get promotion that season since the PL will only fine you. I suspect a large chunk of our fans don't understand how hamstrung our owners are by it.
I think the biggest problem is that fans look at how other clubs are dealing with it and wonder why we don't do the same, without considering that we're not coming from the same starting point. There are clubs flaunting the rules, there are clubs with much greater revenue than us, there are clubs who were already working under the kind of budget we've been struggling to adjust to. For us, it outlawed how we were being run, and it's caused us a lot of damage trying to fit in with the rules.

WacoRover
Experienced international star
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm

So, Mowbray, only able to use what he was left with when he got here, loaners, free transfers, etc, is undefeated at 2-3-0 since his arrival.

Once again, he didn't have the same baggage OC did when he got here (formerly managed a hated rival).

job well done, Tony (so far)! Good luck at Craven Cottage!

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm
Once again, he didn't have the same baggage OC did when he got here (formerly managed a hated rival).
I honestly don't think that made any difference whatsoever. He was just rubbish, with a record to match. I was all for giving him a chance but results didn't materialise.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm
WacoRover wrote:
I honestly don't think that made any difference whatsoever. He was just rubbish, with a record to match. I was all for giving him a chance but results didn't materialise.
This.

RoverSteve
Promising youngster

Post by RoverSteve » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:20 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:55 pm
Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm
WacoRover wrote:
This.
This. i couldnt care less where a managers or player has come from.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 pm

It only made a difference for those looking for a stick to beat the owners with.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:01 pm

I agree wholeheartedly; I only said it, because many of the brfc crowd checked out on him from the get-go, not willing to give the guy a fighting chance.

Everybody has to come from somewhere.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:11 am

Gibbon wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 pm
It only made a difference for those looking for a stick to beat the owners with.
It's this for me.

Coyle was divisive with fans from the get go. Shit or not. The fact that he was shit just made it worse. As soon as we were behind it was Coyle out and Venky's out in the stands.

Having been at the last two games when we've gone a goal behind the fans continue to chant for Mowbray and the team and I've not heard Venky's out once. To me it makes a big difference having that unity.

Win lose or draw Coyle would always be toxic to a section of supporters. Whether that's right or wrong it is just bad for the club.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am

When you look at the tables, there's usually only marginal differences between teams pushing for the playoffs and teams in mid-table, and teams in mid-table and teams fighting relegation. 4 more goals at the right times and we'd be looking relatively comfortable in 15th. It's become worryingly normal to blame the manager above all else when a team isn't winning enough. It's heavily flawed reasoning - there's a variety of reasons beyond the manager's control that can cause a bad run of results, from injuries to a lack of investment in the playing squad. A buoyant crowd create a confident side and intimidate the opponents. The reverse happens when the crowd are angry and negative. I think that can make the difference between a team fighting hard for a late goal, and nervously conceding at the death. I think Coyle is an average manager, a closer look at his record shows highs and lows depending on whether the team he was at was already on the up or heading down with or without him. But he was a bad choice for us, because he added to the negativity, and that makes it that little bit harder to turn a loss into a draw and a draw into a win.

I think that negative effect has gone now we have a manager fans are neutral towards, Mowbray will get a fair chance from most. I also think we're now in the stage where teams at the bottom start scrapping for their lives, and our results would be improving anyway.

tomthebodz
Regular international

Post by tomthebodz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Should we stay up, and I think that we will now, I can see us being in a good position next season with Mowbray.

The team is looking a lot more positive since he came in, and it's being reflected in the way we're playing. Under Coyle we'd have rolled over and lost the games against Fulham and Norwich.

I'd say the only slight negative is the 1-1 against Burton, but that was a day after he took over so I'll let that one go.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am
When you look at the tables, there's usually only marginal differences between teams pushing for the playoffs and teams in mid-table, and teams in mid-table and teams fighting relegation. 4 more goals at the right times and we'd be looking relatively comfortable in 15th. It's become worryingly normal to blame the manager above all else when a team isn't winning enough. It's heavily flawed reasoning - there's a variety of reasons beyond the manager's control that can cause a bad run of results, from injuries to a lack of investment in the playing squad. A buoyant crowd create a confident side and intimidate the opponents. The reverse happens when the crowd are angry and negative. I think that can make the difference between a team fighting hard for a late goal, and nervously conceding at the death. I think Coyle is an average manager, a closer look at his record shows highs and lows depending on whether the team he was at was already on the up or heading down with or without him. But he was a bad choice for us, because he added to the negativity, and that makes it that little bit harder to turn a loss into a draw and a draw into a win.

I think that negative effect has gone now we have a manager fans are neutral towards, Mowbray will get a fair chance from most. I also think we're now in the stage where teams at the bottom start scrapping for their lives, and our results would be improving anyway.
Yeah that's exactly right for me.

You can never actually measure what effect this has, but you see results and performances improve and can make that assumption. I've been at games this season even when we're winning under Coyle and the fans are chanting Venky's out and spouting bile towards Coyle and there's been a couple of players come out and say that type of thing isn't helpful.

It's the sense of feeling everyone pulling in the same direction. Like I know Twitter is a load of shit but even looking at the players tweets after these games now they are so positive about how they're performing, the results and in particular the fans, even if they're being told what to say. It is only ever going to result in more fans going to games, supporters chanting and willing on the team and the manager.

There is a notable difference already with Mowbray certainly away from home, I've not yet been at Ewood since he took over but presume things are better there now too.

WacoRover

Post by WacoRover » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm obviously not there, to get a feel for the mood. But the concensus here seems to be everybody is on-board, & going forward, the vibe is much more positive & fruitful.

Of course, that will all change with the first loss. ;)

Rovers at 6 unbeaten; the last time that happened was the end of 2014-2015 season, when Rovers were 3-4-0, & finished 9th.

Not saying that happens again anytime soon, but its amazing what happens when the club finds ways to win/tie late, as opposed to conceding early, playing catchup, & losing late, time & again. Mowbray deserves some credit for that.