Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
mrblackbat
Promising manager

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:12 am
But Lambert seems to be working his magic at Wolves
I'd love to see him take them down. I think,m actually, I might have more dislike for Lambert than Allardyce. Which is saying something.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 am
Rover the Top wrote:
I'd love to see him take them down. I think,m actually, I might have more dislike for Lambert than Allardyce. Which is saying something.
Lambert actually lied to our faces I suppose. Sam made me want to dig my own eyes out with a biro as well as being deluded about his own importance. Both can get stuffed. Souness is the last manager other than Bowyer I had any real liking for. I never really liked Hughes that much frankly.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:01 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am
mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 am
Rover the Top wrote:
Lambert actually lied to our faces I suppose. Sam made me want to dig my own eyes out with a biro as well as being deluded about his own importance. Both can get stuffed. Souness is the last manager other than Bowyer I had any real liking for. I never really liked Hughes that much frankly.
And Lambert actually walked out cause he thought he was too good. At least Allardyce stuck with the task when he had it.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am

He was just waiting for the call from Real Madrid

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 am

True.dat

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am

I can't say I have any strong feelings about Lambert. It just surprised me that he was hailed as some kind of managerial messiah by the section of our fanbase who usually want to write people off before they start. It still seems a bit random to me... :shrug:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am
I can't say I have any strong feelings about Lambert. It just surprised me that he was hailed as some kind of managerial messiah by the section of our fanbase who usually want to write people off before they start. It still seems a bit random to me... :shrug:
It's completely in keeping with a mindset that forms an opinion in advance of having any solid evidence, two sides of the same coin.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I think this post is going to crap and I've not even read it.
Gibbon wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:57 pm
Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am
It's completely in keeping with a mindset that forms an opinion in advance of having any solid evidence, two sides of the same coin.
It was.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 pm
Saw a stat doing the rounds on Twitter and it does stack up, but since Burnley at every club Coyle managers he loses more games than he wins, at every club Mowbray has managed he wins more than he loses.
Mowbray's record is decent just looking purely at the numbers. If you look deeper, his time at Celtic looks disappointing given their superiority in Scotland. But then it was probably good going to win as many as he lost in a tough job at Coventry. I don't think he's a bad manager, I was surprised by the negativity at his appointment. But he's walked into a tough job that will be hard to come out of with brilliant stats. If he keeps us up I think he'll deserve a lot of praise.

I've thought for most of the season that it'll be two of us, Wigan and Burton joining Rotherham in going down. But Lambert seems to be working his magic at Wolves and Bristol City are also in freefall. We could survive... :hyper:
That's a fair comment about Celtic. I've always liked him and was quite pleased with the appointment as I wasn't particularly a fan of Coyle and think Mowbray represents a step up. I liked his WBA side and the way he wants his teams to play football. I'm also a big believer in how temporal football management can be unless you're dealing with managers like Pep, Conte, Ancelotti and sometimes a manger just gets things right with a certain team at a certain time having been less successful elsewhere.

I'm not getting ahead of myself but there has clearly been a positive impact with the players who are speaking in glowing terms about him and so far we've got results on the pitch so hopefully that continues and the feel good factor can spread into the fans too.

I'm only left wondering what BRFCs now think about Coyle's relegation bonus he won't get... :lol:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 pm
I'm only left wondering what BRFCs now think about Coyle's relegation bonus he won't get... :lol:
Venky's must be gutted what with employing someone who is doing a good job so far - they wanted to relegate the team and sell off the carpets didn't they?

iamarover
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by iamarover » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm

They do love an exposed floorboard.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:03 pm

How else can you slide around in your socks?

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:07 pm

On tiles. Or marble.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:12 pm

mrblackbat wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:07 pm
On tiles. Or marble.
Not when they have carpet on them. Not even carpet tiles. Or carpet marble.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:21 am

Ethiaa wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 pm
doz_magic_man wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:05 pm
Ethiaa wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm
I'm still not clear how you think a different owner is going to be able to put in more money when the rules stop you doing it.
Because a new owner would presumably have to pay off at least some of the Venky's debt in order to acquire the club? I haven't read the FFP rules, but if we're debt free or in minimal debt, we can presumably start buying some players again? Anyway, it's all conjecture and Venky's are obviously sticking around for the foreseeable future.

No mate, it doesn't work like that. The debt level is irrelevant. It's all about profit/loss RIGHT NOW which is why boycotting games hurts the club so much and is counterproductive. We could be in 4 billion of debt and have it wiped out by a new owner but without new revenue streams or reduced expenditure then nothing changes in terms of investment allowed. Likewise we could have 100 trillion of debt but if we were making more profit, we could spend more. You should probably check out the FFP rules.
Just read a summary of the rules and had a quick look at the club's trading company's balance sheet for the year ended 30 June 2016. Without reviewing the full rules and all relevant sets of accounts, as I note the previous 2 financial years and current financial year are assessed, a generous new owner could potentially:

- clear a significant proportion of the c.£112m debt (which the new owner would presumably have to do to wrestle control from Venky's);
- reduce the c.£147m called up share capital into distributable reserves (boosting the P&L account);
- make a fresh equity investment for new shares in the trading company; and
- put a profit making susidiary underneath the trading company and dividend profits up (which would neither be a loan nor an equity injection), rendering the trading company profitable if dividends were significant enough. If so, the 3-year average maximum permissible loss (£39m I believe and which I suspect we are way over) could be counter-balanced in the next financial year. If a club enjoys a bumper year, then why should it be held back going forward by previous poor years?

All this is obviously predicated on a very wealthy and generous group acquiring the club, but is theoretically possible. However, nobody in their right mind will inject potentially hundreds of millions into a bottom tier Championship club, hence we are probably fucked. However, I would rather see somebody own the club who knows what they're doing and there's an argument to "do a Rangers".