Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 am

I think you've fundamentally misunderstood the rules.

Or, in your brief reading, you've found a gaping hole that every single other championship club has failed to notice :yeahright:

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:24 pm
Or: nobody cares about the motto, except those that do.
Tony seems quite keen on the spirit of it. :whistle:
Tony Mowbray wrote:I believe in soldiers and artists in football teams

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am

I like the idea of propping up a loss making business by simply putting a profit making business under it. I think everyone should do it. :lol:

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am
I like the idea of propping up a loss making business by simply putting a profit making business under it. I think everyone should do it. :lol:
http://www.icaew.com/technical/audit%20 ... 05034ad722

See section 13 in particular.

Does anyone have a link to the latest Championship FFP rules?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:08 pm

"Jeez, Ben, we're losing £30m a year... what are we going to do?"
"Relax, Bill. All we need to do is put a company that's guaranteed to make more than £30m a year under us and dividend the profits up."
"Wow, Ben, you're a genius!"

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:25 pm

How about making a sensible comment? The suggestion is possible, albeit unrealistic in the circumstances. I have worked on international group reorganisations where profits or losses are "moved" to enhance or diminish a particular company's balance sheet/statutory accounts.

I would be interested to see the level of detail in the full FFP rules.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Even if it was possible, nobody in their right mind would do it and if they did they would have such little business acumen or sense that I wouldn't want them running a club i support. Therefore its ridiculous.

So if you want to talk about sensible comments, perhaps you should consider your own.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:02 am

doz_magic_man wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:25 pm
How about making a sensible comment? The suggestion is possible, albeit unrealistic in the circumstances. I have worked on international group reorganisations where profits or losses are "moved" to enhance or diminish a particular company's balance sheet/statutory accounts.

I would be interested to see the level of detail in the full FFP rules.
So you admit it's unrealistic but don't think it's sensible to point that out? That problem seems bleeding obvious to me, but maybe I'm being unfair on you.

Amazing what you can find on the football league website...

Have fun wading through, but I think this closes off the chance of any loophole:
1.1 Having set a limit on the amount of Contributions from Equity Participants and / or Related Party(ies) it is important that the principle is not undermined by other arrangements with Related Party(ies) which are other than for fair value.
Which is what one would expect from regulations designed to stop clubs pumping money in from sources outside the club...

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 am

They do have awesome powers to decide you are taking the piss and chuck you into an embargo based on opinion as opposed to demonstrable fact. All of which would actually be fine if the fundamental concept of the rules wasn't so utterly broken.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:23 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm
So if you want to talk about sensible comments, perhaps you should consider your own.
But what is "sensible" to someone who decides he knows how to beat the rules despite not bothering to Google them for himself to find out what they actually are? :yeahright:

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:15 am

Of course, none of this matters, because we're all just defending each other cause we're a clique. Or something.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am

I think it's only a clique when you're being an arse 8-)

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Ethiaa wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:33 am
I think it's only a clique when you're being an arse 8-)
Like I said, a clique.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 pm

It was interesting on Saturday what Mowbray did after the full time whistle, he came out onto the pitch to talk to Williams quite clearly about the second goal we conceded.

The media fell over themselves for Pep doing the same at Man City, but he went over to Williams and put his arm round him but was then clearly pointing up and down the line no doubt discussing his positional play once we took the lead. It was good to see and clearly he was pretty pissed off about the second goal, which was very soft.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member

Post by doz_magic_man » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 am

mrblackbat wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 pm
Even if it was possible, nobody in their right mind would do it and if they did they would have such little business acumen or sense that I wouldn't want them running a club i support. Therefore its ridiculous.

No credible business persons in their right mind would purchase a football club, but clearly they do. Obviously our very own Jack Walker diverted profits from his profitable businesses into a failing football club, which made no sense other than boys with toys, living the dream etc.

Thank you RTT for providing a link to the relevant rules. The contributions section focusses on equity and loan investments and donations, not inter-company dividends or reducing capital, and there would probably be ways of conducting a share for share exchange at market value in order to place the profitable subsidiary underneath or to tap into the club's significant capital reserves. However, the rules contain a sweeper "if we think this is dodgy, tough shit" type wording and are actually more sophisticated than I was expecting, therefore my suggested loophole is probably a non-starter.