Tony Mowbray

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
User avatar
Darth Rover
Ageing international
Posts: 4097
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 6:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:44 pm

WacoRover wrote:Now, to talk about David Lowe & David Dunn...

I assume Mowbray had no say in the matter. Keeping them around, as they know they existing talent, or because they are already being paid (cheaper that way), or both? Any other possible reasons?
Nobody else is desperate enough to do the job?

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14769
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mrblackbat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 pm

WacoRover wrote:
mcteeth wrote:
WacoRover wrote:I think he took the hardest possible job available...keeping this club up, with the available personnel & fiduciary resources. I can't see him lasting 18 months.

We'll see how it goes, not that we can do anything else anyway, but is he that big a step up from Coyle?
He just came from Coventry... That's more of a shit show than we are.
Not the same expectations, or history. In spite of the clubs recent woes, yeah, Blackburn Rovers are still a big deal.
Perceptions are a funny one; Coventry were very much a big club whilst I was forming my footballing opinions. 1987 FA Cup and all that.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah it's splitting hairs really, Coventry to me are one of the historic old clubs of England. I'd also say that Coventry's current plight over the last few years has had far more spotlight and media attention that ours because it's worse.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

WacoRover wrote:Now, to talk about David Lowe & David Dunn...

I assume Mowbray had no say in the matter. Keeping them around, as they know they existing talent, or because they are already being paid (cheaper that way), or both? Any other possible reasons?
Not sure how it's cheaper to promote coaches already working at the club? If we were that desperate it would make more sense to look for recently qualified unknowns who'd jump at the opportunity of some experience.

I'm sure they'll have been kept on because they know the club from the inside. Dunn is Rovers through and through (despite what some think), he's not just going to go through the motions for a compensation cheque.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2415
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm not sure anything is easy to explain anymore; including why Mowbray was hired, amongst all those believed to be in the running. I noticed as I slept last night, Sherwood was all but named, by a couple of sources, then right after I got up, it was Mowbray.

Perhaps he was the only one who actually wanted the job. Who knows?

Guys, I fully expected Rovers to go down, before Coyle was axed, & I still fully expect Rovers to go down, with Mowbray in charge. Its not either manager's fault entirely. It's just a crappy situation, as each one of us have already said, ad nauseum.

Anything different will be a pleasant surprise, & a feather in the cap of Mowbray, & a credit to the players, who will have to go beyond their abilities to do so.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Given how quickly Coyle has gone and Mowbray come in I don't think this is a case of we're going to look at a number of different candidates and have interviews, clearly contact has been made with Mowbray's people prior to this and an agreement in place in principle once Coyle was removed. Much like Pardew and Big Sam at Palace.

Personally I see Mowbray as a better prospect than Coyle, I guess my frustration with all of this is that now some 15/16 months on we'd have been better off just sticking with Bowyer, even accepting that, Coyle I don't believe was a sensible choice once Lambert had left given the number of people interviewed and wanting to take on the role.

We are where we are, but I don't see why there is so much doom and gloom, we're hardly cut adrift with a huge gap to make up. We're 3 points off Bristol who have a tough game tonight and games in hand on Burton as well as playing those two and Wigan in the coming weeks (2 of which are at home). Generally speaking we're not playing badly, we score goals easily and have 3 very good strikers at this level, we just need to sharpen up at the back which will be helped with the return of Hoban soon.

I'll happily eat my own words and admit my optimism was foolish should we go down, which is clearly possible, but I think we'll be okay. Bad luck just seemed to come with Coyle like a bad smell, if Mowbray can just get a bit of a lift out of the players and eradicate the silly mistakes we will win games.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Posts: 2415
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:37 pm
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by WacoRover » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Everything you say there's a factual foundation to say those things.

It's probably going to be very close. There are several other poor clubs nearly as bad as ours if not worse, personnel wise, & coaching stratagems. That might be our saving grace- there's lots of crappy teams that could crap out before ours does.

If Hoban comes back, & Mowbray is able to tighten up the defense, it could happen.

Looking back to our best run, Oct 15 to Dec 3, we played 8 games, mostly tough competition. We got 12 points in those games. We will have to exceed that run to stay up, IMO.

User avatar
Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international
Posts: 2009
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:49 pm

The biggest positive I see with Mowbray is that he is a stabilizer. I would love to see him bring us out of the ditch, but I'm not going to hold my breath. If he keeps us up, the late gamble paid off.

He does face massive scrutiny with Burton on Friday, so he has to win to get a little positive backing from the fans.

User avatar
Gibbon
Promising manager
Posts: 17953
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am
Location: Location: Location
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:31 am

I like Mowbray, he has a history of playing decent football and I think he can do a good job for us.

mcteeth
Ageing international
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mcteeth » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:55 am

That's the spirit :hyper:

Bristol did the correct thing and played shit and lost which was good.

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 am

Has Mowbray been sacked yet? :hyper:

User avatar
Rover the Top
Experienced manager
Posts: 27165
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 am

WacoRover wrote:I'm not sure anything is easy to explain anymore; including why Mowbray was hired, amongst all those believed to be in the running. I noticed as I slept last night, Sherwood was all but named, by a couple of sources, then right after I got up, it was Mowbray.
Were any of those sources Rovers themselves? They're the only source that matters when it comes to things like this. You can never be sure anyone mentioned by anyone else is even under consideration, gambling and agents touting clients muddy the waters too much. Given the speed of the appointment, I'd assume Mowbray already had the job before Coyle was sacked, and Sherwood's name only came up as an educated (wrong) guess because of his connections and our previous approach for him.

doz_magic_man
Valued squad member
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by doz_magic_man » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm surprised we managed to attract somebody of Mowbray's calibre and even more surprised that Venky's appear to have been organised enough to have a replacement lined up to replace Coyle, in what was an unusually timed departure (but what's new with these owners). On paper, Mowbray is better than most of their other appointments (e.g. Coyle, Appleton, Berg).

He isn't a marquee appointment but I think some fans need to accept that unless and until we have new owners with sufficient nous and funding to help take us back to the PL, we can only expect to dip into the bargain/journeyman bin.

User avatar
Ethiaa
Site Admin
Posts: 13612
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Preston
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by Ethiaa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm still not clear how you think a different owner is going to be able to put in more money when the rules stop you doing it.

User avatar
mrblackbat
Promising manager
Posts: 14769
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am
Contact:

Re: Tony Mowbray

Post by mrblackbat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Because of MASSIVE DENIAL.

Post Reply