Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What makes Wigan so Athletic?

Training kestrels wearing Roman armour
30%
Working on arable farming
10%
Igor Tudor's workout regimen
10%
Something something Nordic bakeware
No votes
Whooping with the gibbons
50%
Having seconds of the moon being made of spare rib
No votes

Total votes: 10

mcteeth
Ageing international

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Wigan Athletic

Post by mcteeth » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:10 am

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:29 pm
mcteeth wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:15 pm
All the positive noises coming out of the club are translating into points so far which is great.

It seems to be that Mowbray has worked on defensive organisation and that is paying off, equally we seem to be better in possession now when we do have the ball. Then with the strikers we have we'll always score goals.
I can hardly believe the patchwork defence has 2 clean sheets in 3... granted, the guys we've got are decent players, & are coming together as a unit. But, we've lost so many players to injuries.

So how much of this can we attribute to Mowbray's defensive prowess?
Well I'm playing devils advocate and not being overly serious. But saying Coyle was a shit manager with a good squad but just didn't get it right but quietly Venky's have employed a relatively decent manager and we're just beginning to witness the beginnings of what we're capable of then it feels quite normal.

Generally I'm always quite an optimistic fan but I think we're a lot better than where we've been floundering around all season, certainly with the strike force we have.

I'll be at Norwich and Fulham away so interested to watch the team under Mowbray first hand.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:00 pm

The facts about the game says that it was a pretty even encounter with similar shots on target and Wigan even having more possession than Rovers. Sometimes it just comes down to that little bit of extra quality which Emnes provided. So often a flair player with little result but this time he got it right with a finish of top quality. Mowbray has had a bit of an easy start so lets see what Rovers can do in the next three games at home to Cardiff and away at Norwich and Fulham. Get through those and still be out of the relegation area and that will be enough to keep most people happy.

Franco_ice
Valued squad member

Post by Franco_ice » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:14 pm

Mr Rover Rover wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:04 pm
Franco_ice wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 pm
Enjoyed the game, it is was nice to watch rovers play under new coach live.
How nervous was it at the end there Franco?

(That's a genuine question by the way - I wasn't there)
I was more excited to see rovers play. I watched it on TV and we do not get to see Rovers often here.
For me it was more thrill and excitement, enjoying getting to see the team play.