Fulham v Rovers, Tuesday 14th March 2017, 7.45pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Who helped move the Michael Jackson statue?

The Romans
No votes
Arable farmers
10%
A haven of kestrels
No votes
A whoop of gibbons
30%
Nordic bakers
No votes
The ghost of Michael Jackson
60%

Total votes: 10

thehatts
Ageing international

Re: Fulham v Rovers, Tuesday 14th March 2017, 7.45pm

Post by thehatts » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Great result. Keeps unbeaten run going. Kept going until the end, great to see. Now let's win on Sat.

Mr Rover Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Mr Rover Rover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm

How did that match up to your expectations then mcteeth? :hyper: what a feeling after that 2nd equaliser. Still coming down!

Mr Rover Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Mr Rover Rover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Obviously the only other game being played had to kick us in the teeth; Lambert's Wolves scoring '86 and '89. Unbelievable Jeff :x

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Mr Rover Rover wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm
How did that match up to your expectations then mcteeth? :hyper: what a feeling after that 2nd equaliser. Still coming down!
Shades of 2009 again :hyper:

Couldn't see us doing too much at half time although we weren't playing badly. But it's games like that that stick with you and keep you going back each season for those moments. I think the nicest thing at the moment is the sense of unity on the pitch and in the stands with the fans.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Mr Rover Rover wrote:
. I think the nicest thing at the moment is the sense of unity on the pitch and in the stands with the fans.
Thats important right now. The fans need to get behind this club. A hard-working club, with a knowledgeable manager in charge. We need a big, raucous crowd for Preston!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:58 pm

Really good game in the end and ultimately a fully deserved point given our second half performance.

It was obvious to see why they've been doing so well in the first half. They were so crisp in possession with such good movement, particularly Aluko, Cairney and Sessegnon. We spent a lot of the half out of possession but I think the game plan was right. For all their football and being pleasing on the eye we were well organised and kept a solid shape and had a couple of moments going forward. They had a lot of neat moves in our half but seldom getting into really dangerous positions. We actually had the first real chance with a crisp volley from Conway well saved. And whilst their goal wasn't undeserved it was their first shot on target all half and came from a quick turn over of possession and was probably the first time we were a little stretched and out of our defensive shape and a slick move we were carved open.

Bit of a sucker punch at half time and really I felt that it was more likely to play out to a comfortable 2 or 3 nil come full time if Fulham kept it up. But as the second half wore on their moments of possession it felt more like they were overplaying and again bar one strong save Steele rarely had much to do.

We continued to have our moments going forward and the momentum definitely started to shift mainly with the introduction of Joao. Personally I don't think Graham and Emnes works as a pairing. It amounted to little at Norwich and same again tonight. Granted he scored a brace on Saturday but other than that Joao looked a little clumsy otherwise but tonight he really changed our game. He just won aerial balls or made himself available to feet and the ball would stick and he'd wriggle free with some neat twists and turns and pick the right pass forward. He also got in front of the defender so well for the winner.

You could sense a goal coming at 1-0 and we had a definite penalty on Conway that the ref somehow waved away then 5 minutes later the challenge on Emnes I thought was a softer shout but he had to give it.

Thought Hoban and Lenihan were solid, Nyambe a good second half after a nervy first. Guthrie was good again in possession. Emnes always gives us a threat and again Mahoney making a difference. He just provides a great outlet and makes the opposition double up and defend. Conway solid and great pen. Williams again solid don't think he was at fault out wide for the second was just a good cross and well taken finish. Also great assist on his weaker foot at the end.

My one negative as usual bar a spurt of 3 tackles in a row first half was how fucking awful Lowe was. His use of the ball tonight was painfully bad and he generally just gave it away unless he's doing his usual sideways or back 10 yarders when there were options to go forward. With an ounce of composure he'd have sent Emnes clean through once or twice. I'd love to see any combination of Mulgrew, Evans, Guthrie under Mowbray.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 am

Excellent report. Thanks, Mc!

It seems Emnes/Gallagher, or Conway/Graham. But what do I know? Maybe the fact we have scoring options in itself bodes well. Joao was a great get. Any chance for him being signed at the end of the season?

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 am

I mean all of our strikers individually are decent and have different qualities. I just don't think Emnes and Graham work together as a pairing as effectively as say Gallagher with either Graham or Emnes. Or how well Joao and Emnes linked up last night.

It'll be interesting to see how Joao continues this season. He's good on the ball and skillful. Tall and strong in the air and his movement in the box has been great in both games as he seems to find space and get in the right place at the right time.

I'm not complaining but he had two really good chances with free headers. One from a cross and one from a corner where you'd expect him to score really. Both easier chances than the header at Norwich. Also a neat turn in the box and a shot that could have been a goal but was straight at the keeper. The main thing is he's there to have the chance.

If he carries on like this and is surplus at Wednesday then I'm sure we'd ask the question in the summer.

Mr Rover Rover
Promising youngster

Post by Mr Rover Rover » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:29 am

mcteeth wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 pm
Mr Rover Rover wrote:
Shades of 2009 again :hyper:

Couldn't see us doing too much at half time although we weren't playing badly. But it's games like that that stick with you and keep you going back each season for those moments. I think the nicest thing at the moment is the sense of unity on the pitch and in the stands with the fans.
Couldn't agree more with those sentiments. This match will stick with me for time to come. For the great football, the injury time equaliser, and also, as you say, the unity of fans and players. There was a LOT of love for Mowbray, and rightly so. He has us playing at our best right now, and that is all you can ask. Shades of 2009 for me was emphasised when the players came over to applaud the fans at the end (who were magnificent by the way!). Also loved the way we created numerous chances by playing measured balls out to the wings; took me right back to the 90s :D

Mahoney was fantastic again, but definitely still needs to work on his shooting. Could have won it for us before they went 2-1. The only annoying thing from the game is the fact that their 2nd goal came from a throw that should have been ours, and directly off the back of a really good attack from us. Oh, and we could have had another pen. But never the mind, still delighted with a huge point!

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 pm

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:38 pm

Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 pm
Thanks, Dan, I always appreciate you posting the highlights!

Something one of you will have to explain to me; on a penalty kick, why does someone other than the guy fouled take the kick? It seems just & right to me, that the guy who was fouled should take the kick. I'm sure there must be a good reason. Thanks in advance for your forbearance.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:41 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:38 pm
Something one of you will have to explain to me; on a penalty kick, why does someone other than the guy fouled take the kick? It seems just & right to me, that the guy who was fouled should take the kick. I'm sure there must be a good reason. Thanks in advance for your forbearance.
There's usually one nominated player that's the penalty taker, someone who might practice them in training and has a very accurate shot on him. Just as you usually have nominated free kick takers. Imagine a centre back being pushed over from a corner going down and winning a penalty, there's no point letting him take it when you're got strikers who are 10x better at shooting in the side.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:45 pm

If a centreback was fouled when about to slot the ball to the wide open striker to tap home, why would you force the centreback to take the penalty? Is that just and fair?

And what if the player is injured in the course of the foul? And if you had a rule to account for that, then people would ALWAYS be 'injured' by the foul so the nominated penalty taker could take it.

And what happens if you are fouled off the ball? Do you have to take the penalty even though you never had the ball?

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 pm

What if the penalty is given because an opposing defender punches his own goalkeeper? Or for a less unlikely scenario, a defender deliberately hand balls to stop an own goal?

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:51 pm

And what if it's given for handball and no-one was fouled? :yeahright:

Edit: damn, beat be to it