Blackburn Rovers v Doncaster Rovers Sat 12 Aug 2017, 15:00

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Rover Rover come on ____!

over
No votes
in
No votes
and fly in on Igor Tudor's kestrel with a host of arable farmers to sow the land with a bounty of seeds
33%
with your army of gibbons
33%
and ask Russia to hack the opponent's goals, so we win. Trust me, we'll win, it will feel so good to be massive winners. We will be the winningest club in the country, there will be so much winning, we will have won it all. It'll be yuuge how big this club will, we will win and be promoted to a more massively yuuge status. I would have my buddy, Cristiano Ronaldo, come join us because he loves winning bigly. And when I say we will be winning bigly, I mean bigly to the big league. And that's how I will Make Blackburn Rovers Great Again
33%
to the moon to eat some spare rib
No votes

Total votes: 9

yankfan
Promising youngster

Re: Blackburn Rovers v Doncaster Rovers Sat 12 Aug 2017, 15:00

Post by yankfan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Fucking clowns. 35 years a fan and I've never been so embarrassed.

-BARON-23-
Promising manager

Post by -BARON-23- » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:12 am

The problem is trying to fit players into positions they shouldn't be in. Nyambe has impressed when played as a right back but not so much as part of the back three. We really seem to lack control of the game when we play in this formation. If we went back to a back four, i can't help but feel we would look a lot more comfortable. Too many errors at the back right now and it's quite frankly embarrassing. I would love to see us go back to playing two up top or at least have two natural wide players on the pitch instead of relying on wing backs that can't do the job each week.

Personally it would be nice to see something like:

Raya

Nyambe/Caddis, Wharton/Lenihan, Mulgrew/Lenihan, Williams

Chapman/Feeney, Smallwood, Evans/Whittingham, Bennett/Conway

Dack/Bennett/Samuel, Graham/Antonsson

We've got plenty of options and natural positions for people to play in. Obviously i'm not at the training ground but i can't help but feel this would be a stronger basis.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 am

The defending was awful.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 am

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fix ... dex.shtml
Please take a look at where Rovers are in the league on October 24th 1979. Then take a look at Rovers results after that date to the end of the season. We went on an amazing run to gain promotion. Howard Kendal was a great manager for Rovers and then Everton. Mowbray needs to emulate him. When Mowbray gets this team playing to potential we will start to climb the league and mount a serious challenge. If he doesn't, well he has been backed in the transfer market and he has the best facilities in the league. No excuses...

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:50 am

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fix ... dex.shtml
Please take a look at where Rovers are in the league on September 29th 1979. Then take a look at Rovers results after that date to the end of the season. We went on an amazing run to gain promotion. Howard Kendal was a great manager for Rovers and then Everton. Mowbray needs to emulate him. When Mowbray gets this team playing to potential we will start to climb the league and mount a serious challenge. If he doesn't, well he has been backed in the transfer market and he has the best facilities in the league. No excuses...

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Lots of things disappointed me yestesrday, but it was the negative mentality which upset me the most. The manager has been banging on all summer about the need to score 90 goals this season to achieve our objective of promotion. With that starting 11 and setup we are not going to score anywhere near that amount of goals. Apart from the goal I can only remember 1 other effort of note from Gladwin.

No need to panic just yet after 2 games, but we need to step it up massively.

Texrover
New signing

Post by Texrover » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but when TM arrived did he not play 4-4-2 and tighten up the defence. Did he not play to our strengths and put players in the positions where they are best suited. Did we not enjoy the breath of fresh air, when we started to pick up points and score some (not many) but some goals.
And in the process got very close to stopping us going down after OC had spent all seasons making us worse than mediocre.

So why oh why has he suddenly decided to abandon all this in favour of 3-5-1-1 or 1-2-3-4-5 or Christmas trees or f&%$*ng what ever other fashionable sh1t from the La Ligue he has read about.

We are in League 1 Tony. Its Southend, Walsall, Oldham for gods sake. Play to your strengths. Do what you did when you got here. Make it simple, they are footballers not research scientists. Take a leaf out of Bolton's book. They started last year with 4 straight wins and 3 draws. It can't be that hard.

Rant done. Over and out.

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Post by Duggywerefab » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks Darth, good reflection back to H Kendall's magic, he just came out of the tunnel looking like a winner in his whole career. Brilliant player, he could see the game at 17 that some never did learn to see their whole lives, and that obviously reflected in his management too.

But it is also interesting to see how many clubs are still in that lower league. Hopefully we will not become mired in the wilderness divisions with some of those names.

Still optimistic, fingers crossed!

Duggy

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 am

I've decided to nerd out on ya'll (I blame you Waco, but I work with a couple Texans so I already caught Texan) and go do some fancy pants stats on the 79/80 season.

First 23 matches, Rovers went 8-7-8, 31 points, 22 goals scored, 21 goals scored against sitting 12th .

Second 23 matches, Rovers went 17-2-4, 58 points, 36 goals scored, 15 goals scored against sitting 2nd, 4 points above Chesterfield.

That's just unreal to go on a run like that, but I wouldn't want it to come down to that, because then it's a scramble to get all those wins. I hope this is a learning curve going on, and they will make adjustments and start to get some wins and draws.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:28 am

Oh dear.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 am

-BARON-23- wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:12 am

Raya

Nyambe/Caddis, Wharton/Lenihan, Mulgrew/Lenihan, Williams

Chapman/Feeney, Smallwood, Evans/Whittingham, Bennett/Conway

Dack/Bennett/Samuel, Graham/Antonsson
You'd think fielding 20 players would give us an advantage, but with this lot I'd expect an increased chance of calamitous own goals... :yeahright:

Hudson
Regular international

Post by Hudson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 am
but with this lot I'd expect an increased chance of calamitous own goals... :yeahright:
Still less chance than when we had Duffy :lol:

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Was Williams injured? He was having a stinker when Mowbray pulled him off. Having said that I thought Gladwin was quite impressive.Graham got no service, nor surprising when the midfield was 25 yards behind him. Bennett and Whittingham were anonymous but I thought Nyambe had a fair game, at least the lad wants to get forward with the ball. Evans passes the ball backwards almost as much as Lowe. Ward and Mulgrew are solid but slow. There is very little speed in this team, Feeney is probably the fastest we've got. Unfortunately he's not very good.
Dack played well enough to make the starting 11 next week,and I just wonder if we might see Leutwilker, Raya ais a good stopper, but his positioning needs revising.
Three defensive howlers cost us the game - surely that can't happen again this season? I believe the talent is there, I just hope Mowbray is the man to harness it.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm sure somehow it must still be Steele's fault