Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers Sat 27/10 2017 @ 3 pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

After Conway's goal against Portsmouth, the steward is seen ___.

diving so he could get a penalty like some Two Faced Tudor
No votes
tripping over the advertisement board, then limping off like Vince Grella after a crunching tackle
11%
caught on the most devious of wild gibbon contraptions
44%
attempting to cross into another dimension, but did not morph into a Dickinson's kestrel in time
No votes
of the likes of never before. I have seen some stewards in my time, let me tell you. I have a steward on staff named Stew Stuart, I call him Stewie, great guy. He's helped me over many advertisement boards, including putting my face on many of them. I am just glad he didn't ruin it by throwing his face into, that would have been bad, as in not good, not great at all. That is why I am issuing an executive order to ---------- so we can Make Stewards Great Again!
44%

Total votes: 9

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Re: Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers Sat 27/10 2017 @ 3 pm

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:48 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:15 pm
Getting a point, on the road, vs league leaders down a man... I take it gladly.
Same here, it's just a shame that the events that played out dictated this is a good point, essentially eliminating 3 points as an option.

But I am glad to take it, overall drab performances from both sides.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:31 pm

Ive looked at the Bennett sending off incident from firstly behind the goal and it looked a clear foul on Bennett. Secondly from a view from behind the referee where it doesnt look as convincing. The Wigan defender immediately claimed to the referee that Bennett had dived. Bennett was going at a good pace and it could have been the slightest touch to his foot that could have caused him to go to ground. The referee had a bad game and should have disiplined Paul Cook in the first half but instead he lost control of the game with a failure to do this. Rovers should certainly appeal the sending off and certainly state they dont want that referee anywhere near a Rovers game again.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:37 pm

I didn't see the game and haven't watched the highlights yet, but have seen a lot of comments about how poor the ref was. I'm pretty sure you can't appeal a sending off that comes from two bookings.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Correct, Dan.
The worrying thing for me was Chapman hobbling off with a hamstring.
For automatic promotion we have to be the best, or second bet team in our league.
We are not.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Wow, I've just seen it. There's no way that can be a dive, and even if there was no contact (it looks to me like there was), getting your ankles out of the way of a clattering doesn't automatically equal diving.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 pm
Wow, I've just seen it. There's no way that can be a dive, and even if there was no contact (it looks to me like there was), getting your ankles out of the way of a clattering doesn't automatically equal diving.
That's how I felt too. He was getting out of the way of a tackle, he jumped and didn't land and fell to the ground. He even got a good pass off too.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 pm
Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 pm
That's how I felt too. He was getting out of the way of a tackle, he jumped and didn't land and fell to the ground. He even got a good pass off too.
Exactly why there's no reason why he would be diving there. He had options around him, and a couple of good passes on. If he'd been on his own in a corner with nothing on I can see why there would be a debate, but he would have had nothing to gain from simulation in the position he was in.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Agreed, it was poor refereeing - not least because the Ref showed a first red then a second yellow.

Didn't do himself any favours by lying on the ground like he'd died though. Red rag to a ref...even an incompetent one.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 am

Gibbon wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Didn't do himself any favours by lying on the ground like he'd died though.
:shock: He stays down after one of the chasing Wigan defenders slips and lands on the back of his head, and even then it's only for 3 seconds.

The incident highlights why refs shouldn't be making on field decisions as to whether a player has dived. It's not humanly possible for anyone to determine from one viewing at full speed whether a player has been caught enough to fall, whether he's avoided contact but then lost his footing, or whether he's deliberately thrown himself at the ground to make it look like he's been tripped. I can't tell having watched the video several times, I'd like other angles to be sure. The ref's decision should just be whether the lunge from the defender is enough to give a foul for (for what it's worth, looks a clear cut yes to me). Punishment for any player trying to deceive the ref should be handed out after the match. The rule as it stands doesn't dissuade the cheats because it's still a lottery whether they'll get caught or even get penalised for being fouled. And there shouldn't be red cards handed out on what is basically guesswork from the ref.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 am

Rover the Top wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 am

:shock: He stays down after one of the chasing Wigan defenders slips and lands on the back of his head, and even then it's only for 3 seconds.
I didn't see that bit - will watch again. :lol:

Agreed on the rest though.