Oxford United v Blackburn Rovers, Tue 21/11 2017

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

If we can't stop the rock, then what can stop the rock?

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson
18%
A hover of Rock kestrels while down in South Africa
No votes
Whoop of gibbons, opening a can of whoopass on The Artist Formerly Known as Prince
No votes
a rock
18%
A second order non-homogeneuous ordinary differential equation with complex roots
No votes
Performing the Charleston dance
9%
Re-enacting the movie Xanadu, followed up by re-enacting the musical Xanadu
9%
a bottle of Wild Irish Rose
9%
There are many, many people who use rocks everyday in their lives. Many. And when I mean many, I mean to the likes of which we have never seen before, ever. These rocks are important, too important if you ask me. They help the rock people figure out rock things like shape of a rock, the size of a rock, the color. I mean, the color is just outrageous, rocks come in any color you want. When I started talking to the rock people, I asked them, "is this a rock? I have never seen a rock this color and, believe me, I have seen a lot of rocks." The rock man told me "It's a rock" while also telling me the others were rocks too. I was so amazed by this color of the rock, it had such colors, big colors, many colors. They were vibrant. And shiny. So from this day forward, I, Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho, declare today as National Rock Day, and will continue to strive to Make Rocks Great Again!
36%

Total votes: 11

thehatts
Ageing international

Re: Oxford United v Blackburn Rovers, Tue 21/11 2017

Post by thehatts » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Now take Mulgrew off and protect him from a second yellow.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 pm

All subs used now.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 pm

4-2, the back post loves Oxford tonight.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 pm

So, Bury does us a good turn...nice!

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Great win and didn't expect us to surge into a 0-3. We were very very good for 45 minutes. I was probably more impressed with how organised we were defensively with Smallwood and Evans really marshalling things in front of the back 4 and we created opportunities to score even more.

Oxford's goal was a very good individual goal and really changed the complexion of the second half. We weren't great but scrapped away and got the 4th against the run of play and eventually saw the game out fine.

And great to see Dack properly who was amazing.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Dack has really come to form lately. It seems like we can stick anyone at striker and we can be successful. Nuttall would benefit off the bench rather than start. Still needs to learn a lot.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Was nice to see him play, generally he did okay but certainly his decision making on a couple of occasions with the ball can and I'm sure will improve. But then he was in the right place to score an important goal, although it just hit him and bobbled in he was in the right space. Also the service to him became quite wayward in the second half so he was chasing around loose balls.

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Highlights:

No idea what the keeper's doing for Nuttall's goal, the reaction of the defender next to him says it all :D

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Nuttall is still on a learning curve, he could be anything - let's hope Rovers put him on a decent contract so if he does get snapped up, the club should earn a few bob.
To any of our great bunch of fans that went to the match - how did Raheem Harper play? He is only 17 so we should cut him a bit of slack.
And when was the last time Rovers won two away league matches on the bounce?
I have a feeling that Saturday's home match against Bristol Rovers could turn out to be a banana skin. Please God I'm wrong.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I think we are criticizing more because we are winning. It's easier to see the flaws in the player. Nuttall for example needs to learn better ball control, decision making, and aerial presence. He has a boat load of positives to him, just need to get him progressing.

Harper was okay. Obviously very athletic, good vision, and some skill. Tracking back defensively is something he needs to work on, along with knowing when to push forward or when to cover when another midfielder is pushing.

Overall, I think the youngsters are good. They have the athletic traits you want, they have the basis for a good career, just need to develop.

Texrover
New signing

Post by Texrover » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:41 am

Went to the game on Tuesday, a last minute whim based on the win at Bury. God am I glad I did.
It has taken until today to come down from the massive high of what was a professional win.

Excellent support from the near 800 Roverites and a complete team performance. Prior to the game we had a few beers with some Oxford fans who, like all football fans, were self depreciating about their teams chances - "we never win on a Tuesday - its a curse" they moaned. "Good" said by daughter!

We came out of the blocks with a very high intensity and huge press on their midfield and defence. This was a team that had just won 4-0 away from home and are the leagues top scorers, yet they looked like relegation fodder for the first 20 minutes. In my 40 odd years of being a Rovers fan I cannot remember being 3-0 up inside 21 minutes, bewildered looks from all the Rovers fans around me. Obviously the intensity dropped after the 3 goals and Rovers settled into a more defensive and hit em on the break pattern, which unfortunately led to their first goal just before half time. The lad who scored it, Jack Payne, is on loan from Huddersfield and he is a cracking little player, two good feet and a constant pain in Rovers arse all night.
Second half was a bit nervy for the first ten minutes and they had a goal chalked off, cue nail biting (at 3-1 up - typical Rovers fan).
Then Bennett, who suddenly decided he had the beating of the diminutive left back, put in a cracking cross and fed the "Nut" who scored off his shin/knee. It doesn't matter how it went in though, as long as he keeps scoring - cue pandemonium with players and fans alike as that goal settled any silly comeback nerves. There second goal was well taken but ultimately too late.

Dack had an outstanding game, his energy levels are through the roof and he had a hand in all 3 first half goals. Mulgrew is the rock on which all this is built, he is just class and the only worry is if he gets injured.

Nuttall is a work in progress. His physical presence and speed unsettles defences and causes them to make mistakes like the one that led to Antonosuns goal. But... there were several times he could have made better decisions or calmed down and put his head up, which would have led to more goals. Trying not to be too harsh on him, as he is a great asset, he is young and will only get better - in a blue and white shirt hopefully.

All in all a fantastic evening out. Keep it going boys.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Tex in 2014 we went 0-3 up away at Birmingham in the Championship in 24 minutes, I was at the game and we were 0-4 at half time. Although we won the match 2-4 we proceeded to have a very shaky second allowing them to get back into it. It was an outstanding 45 minutes with King absolutely murdering them down the right flank and Gestede scoring for fun.

I was really pleased I made it on Tuesday too I've been away a bit and missed games I'd have normally gone to this season so it was the first outing for me, slightly surreal as I was saying to my Dad given that we were there last year when we won 0-3 in the FA Cup how back then you'd never have expected to be back there within 2 season watching us in the league game!!!

It's funny as I felt really nervy after Payne scored (real standout player for them) especially as Oxford came out after half time and really went at us for 10 minutes.

I didn't mention before but I was also impressed by Downing too alongside Mulgrew, we've been conceding very few goals since he came into the side and they certainly are the best pairing with Lenihan out.

Texrover
New signing

Post by Texrover » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 am

Mcteeth - Thanks for the memory reload - I do remember that game now you mention it...because I went to the last home match two games later when we needed to beat Wigan 6-0 or something similar to get into the play offs!

Totally agree about Downing, he is proving to be a very polished player, hopefully TM can sign him on a permanent deal in January - cant understand why MK Dons wern't playing him.

Glad you felt as nervy as me at 3-1 up. You just cant relax with our boys.

Enjoy your next game, work and home stuff will keep me away until the New Year now.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:35 am

28 minutes verses West Ham in 2001. One of the first games I ever went to.