ROVERS vs Bristol Rovers. Sat Nov 25th 3pm

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

The Pirates visit Ewood park. Will Rovers end up...

Poll ended at Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:35 pm

1. Shiver me timbers
10%
2. Walk the plank
10%
3. Suffer thee cat O'nine tales
No votes
4. Hanging from the mainbrace
20%
5. With a chest full of booty and a flagon full of grog....Arrrrrrgggghh!
60%

Total votes: 10

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: ROVERS vs Bristol Rovers. Sat Nov 25th 3pm

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Attack, Rovers! Keep it up

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm

There is Dominic Samuel again!!!! 2-1!!!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm
I said Graham... or Samuel :D

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Elliot Bennett is looking to come on, probably for Antonnsson.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:27 pm
Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:26 pm
I said Graham... or Samuel :D
Graham, Samuel, forward, player, on the pitch, someone in the country.

Elliott Bennett coming on for Dack.

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Great result. Rovers on a run- at least, as close to a run as anytime since I began following them.

I really like the group Mowbray outs on the pitch- & the quality of our reserves. Looking forward to the next game already!

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Full time! Rovers scrap out a third consecutive win. Good to see some positive substitutions as soon as we went down 1-0. Graham and Samuel were a real difference makers. Nuttall was a bit non-existent the whole match, had one shot that I can recollect. Overall, I think the Nuttall starting parade is over and he needs to be coming off the bench.

Whittingham was absolutely uninspiring. Very anonymous all game, don't think he should be placed out wide again.

When Lenihan comes back, it will be very hard to displace Downing, I think he has formed a great partnership with Mulgrew. Nyambe was suspect a couple times defensively, but he had to do the work of 2 positions when Whittingham was on, so no blame there.

Overall, I think we have a great run going, and if they can finish off the next 2 matches with wins, then it will be very inspiring to say the least for promotion hopes. When January rolls around, it would be best to look at some Premier League players that are not getting time, or look abroad. The core seems to be there, now it's time to get some strength.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Wow...how did we manage to get 3 points today??!! Played off the park we were. I thought we were really really poor. I was worried when I so the lineup. Starting 3 defensive minded midfielders and 1 upfront at home to Bristol!!! You certainly so the limitations of Nuttall today. He cannot play as a solo striker. The minute Graham came on he made an immediate impact. He won EVERY header and held the ball up exceptionally well.

Williams and Evans were awful all game. I really expected Evans to dominate in this league but he has been poor all season. Weak in the tackle, poor in possession and not influencing the game in a positive way.

Maybe the fact Bristol didn’t play midweek and were fresher than us had an impact today because they were winning all the 50/50s.

One positive today....the win!

WacoRover
Ageing international

Post by WacoRover » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Good, honest assessments, Thor & Gaz. Thanks!

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 pm

The saying is a win is a good win no matter how you play. It is a testament to Rovers squad that we can leave both Graham and Samuel on the bench. This was the difference today. Rovers were able to tap into something Bristol did not have. Antonsson didnt produce today but he has done his bit lately so time for others to step up and they did. The season is slowly taking shape now. Shrewsbury have lost three of their last four and Scunthorpe have won their last six. Rovers have been winning just to keep up all season so far but a win at Blackpool on Tuesday puts Rovers just three points off second place. Fatigue must be setting in somewhat but we need our best team out each league game to maintain a challenge. The FA Cup next Sunday and the chance to rest some players. We are not going to win the FA Cup so no need to take it seriously. Play the reserves against Crewe if we must.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:35 pm

There is one element we are enjoying this season that I haven't seen for many years - a little slice of luck here and there. No one could deny that we weren't a tad lucky yesterday, Bristol hitting the post twice and then the referee giving a goal, only to be referred back to the linesman who was adamant it was offside. Phew, and cue the biggest cheer of the afternoon.
I would agree with Nuttall would be more effective coming off the bench, he has energy to burn, and would be ideal when the opposition defence is tiring,
We will, however, not get promoted unless we strengthen the midfield. Whiitingham and Evans are both weak links, in fact Evans was dire. Defensively he gave the ball away and then went on to demonstrate why he doesn't score many goals - powder puff shots off target. The mascot would be more use to us on the pitch than he is.
The winger crisis meant that we had a centre forward on one wing, and a defensive midfielder on the other - not Mowbray's fault that Chapman is out for months and that Conway is struggling with fitness, but a t least he knows what is needed in January- three new midfielders including a fast speedy winger.
Then we'll get promoted.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:38 pm

And I forgot to mention Raya, who pulled off two quite sensational saves. His distribution needs to improve, but the lad is good.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 am

That league table is looking pretty good for us right now.