Peterborough v Blackburn, 9-12 2017

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side of the road
No votes
Finding peace, love, and rock n roll
No votes
His mate was clucking up a storm
No votes
Saw a real fine Kestrel, and couldn't resist talking her up
25%
Practicing the safety dance
No votes
Rover the Dog was barking
13%
Used Cardano's formula to solve the general equation of a cubic, by depressing it and shoving it in Tartaglia's face by publishing the results
13%
Heard there was a mean fish and chips stand on the corner of Carnegie and Fifth
No votes
It was the night before Christmas
No votes
A conference on gibbons and their relation to the space-time continuum
25%
We have a yuuge problem with chickens crossing roads everyday. I just watched CocksNews and heard another report of a chicken crossing a road, it's bad. Real bad. Bigly bad. We have never seen a crisis like this before, where chickens cross roads without any protection. We need to protect our chickens. I have done it many of times like the world has ever seen. I remember talking to this chicken who started to cluck at me, and I asked "what's the clucking problem?" The chicken clicked back at me, as if I understood that chicken scratch of a language. Thankfully there was a chicken translator, good man let me tell you. I just met him on the street corner of Carnegie and Fifth, I heard there was a good fish and chips stand across the street, so we all got lunch there and it was yuuge. That is why I am making an executive order to require protective rights for chickens crossing roads, so we can Make Chickens Crossing Roads Great Again!
25%

Total votes: 8

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Peterborough v Blackburn, 9-12 2017

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Oh great...

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Well, it was physical & tough there at the end, but Rovers prevail. Out of promotion spot, though. Well, long, hard season, but Rovers are holding up nicely.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Solid second half, valuable experience for Tomlinson as well. Definitely showed their worth and that they deserve to be in the top 2 fight. Shrewsbury and Wigan aren't making it easy, but that's the point I guess.

When was the last time Rovers so 5 in a row in the league?

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Really impressed the way Rovers are creating chances and scoring three or four more goals a game. We cannot ask for more than what the lads are producing at the moment. A team the town can be proud of. Still more than half the season to go of course but the momentum is growing after a few set backs in the first ten games.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 am

Looks like Bennet, Evans and Whittingham will be missing the next three games at least. There will never be a better time for young Tomlinson and some of the younger players to step up. If Tomlinson can do a Nuttall and break into the first team, those injuries and suspensions might turn out to be a blessing in disg
uise.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 pm

We still have enough in the middle so long as Smallwood stays fit.

RoverthePennines
Regular international

Post by RoverthePennines » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:23 pm

the growlery wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 am
Looks like Bennet, Evans and Whittingham will be missing the next three games at least. There will never be a better time for young Tomlinson and some of the younger players to step up. If Tomlinson can do a Nuttall and break into the first team, those injuries and suspensions might turn out to be a blessing in disg
uise.
I thought Tomlinson’s performance yesterday confirmed the folly of Harper’s signing. Athleticism aside, I’ve yet to determine what Harper brings to the team when we evidently have a more than able player already in our midst.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Harper was an odd signing - he is still only 17 and obviously has improvement in him, but is he at Rovers simply to gain experience before returning to West Brom?
Tomlinson on the other hand is a rather aged 19 ! With Nuttall, Nyambe, Chapman (please God we can keep him!), Raya,Lenihan, Williams,Dack, Wharton
and Samuel we have some cracking young players who will hopefully get even better in the Championship.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Let's give some credit to the tactical switch of Conway and Antonnsson. Antonnsson seemed ineffective on the right so well played to Mowbray for noticing that half way through the first half.

As previously stated by others, injuries of Evans and Whittingham could be a blessing in disguise as it forces Mowbray to give time to youngsters on Tuesday against Crewe. I hope to also see someone like Rankin-Costello get into the match on the wings, maybe another youngster as well.

The only criticism I have is Downing. Right now, he is very serviceable and does a good job complimenting Mulgrew. However, I do not think he would fit well at the next level as he seems to be very good at getting instructions, rather than thinking on his feet. I know I am being hyper critical of him, but looking ahead, he really is a great short-term answer with Lenihan out and Wharton still developing. Past that, this is his level at League 1 and don't think he has the ability to move a league up to be competitive.

I am comfortable with how things are right now until January. I agree with the sentiment about Harper, he seems very raw and athletic, but doesn't show much composure or professionalism (which will develop in time). I think it would be better to see what Tomlinson has to offer.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 pm
The only criticism I have is Downing. Right now, he is very serviceable and does a good job complimenting Mulgrew. However, I do not think he would fit well at the next level as he seems to be very good at getting instructions, rather than thinking on his feet. I know I am being hyper critical of him, but looking ahead, he really is a great short-term answer with Lenihan out and Wharton still developing. Past that, this is his level at League 1 and don't think he has the ability to move a league up to be competitive.
I don't think there's a charge to answer there. He's been signed to help get us out of this league and he's doing a good job so far. Anything beyond that doesn't matter.

Thorisgodpoo

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Gibbon wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm
Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 pm

I don't think there's a charge to answer there. He's been signed to help get us out of this league and he's doing a good job so far. Anything beyond that doesn't matter.
I agree, there isn't much of a charge to answer. It's more of a vision for the future. He does very well for what he is brought in for. But if there is future consideration of a permanent move, he is a replacement for Ward on the bench.

the growlery
New signing

Post by the growlery » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 pm

I hate to put a damper on everyone's optimism, but the sad truth is that the best free transfer we've ever had is Charlie Mulgrew , and he can't play forever.
Come to think of it, Salgado was also an excellent 'free'.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:19 pm

*Cough*RyanNelsenBradFriedel

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 pm

FFP hasn't been mentioned for a while. I would be interested to know if Rovers would come under the same restrictions again should we gain promotion to the championship. Are the same restrictions in place while we are in League One. Mowbray seemed to have more than adequate funds during the summer to rebuild. On a side issue did anyone else notice the quality of rovers third goal. If a premier league team had scored that goal it would be up for goal of the month.

mrblackbat
Promising manager

Post by mrblackbat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:28 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 pm
FFP hasn't been mentioned for a while. I would be interested to know if Rovers would come under the same restrictions again should we gain promotion to the championship. Are the same restrictions in place while we are in League One. Mowbray seemed to have more than adequate funds during the summer to rebuild. On a side issue did anyone else notice the quality of rovers third goal. If a premier league team had scored that goal it would be up for goal of the month.
No the rules are different, further making a mockery of supposed financial "fair" play.

The restrictions apply to wage bill only, not transfer fees or investment into the club. It's a much easier system to work with on League One than the Championship.