Blackburn/Rochdale, Boxing Day.

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Re: Blackburn/Rochdale, Boxing Day.

Post by WacoRover » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:54 pm
Dack and Mulgrew were outstanding as usual, but today Nyambe wasn't far behind them.
I appreciate the clean sheet as much as anything.

15,115 at Ewood. Best crowd of the year.

Gaz
Valued squad member

Post by Gaz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:50 pm

How Corry Evans gets a game week after week is beyond me. He has been dog shit all season yet Mowbray continues to pick him. He must be like David Silva in training...

Yet another very poor performance but 3 points in the bag. Will be interesting when we actually play a decent team at Ewood...

El Sphero
New signing

Post by El Sphero » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:08 am

In fairness we’ve gone from having 0 good CMs at the club last season to having 1 in Smallwood this season so I suppose it’s small steps... :roll: Think we should address that issue right after we get a winger or two in January.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:26 am

I guess I have a different view of Evans. He isn't terrible, serves as a good stop gap from anyone else that League 1 has to offer. I didn't think he did that bad in the past couple matches, thought he was a more positive influence than negative.

As far as the match goes, everyone did well as usual. Nuttall did look like a step behind everything, as if he was lagging in real life. I would like to see that is a good thing, as he is finding what to do right, just needs to be there faster. Tomlinson is looking more present in the squad as of late, and has been a breath of fresh air and legs.

Overall, I think it's clear cut that the back 4 is pretty much settled for the season with Nyambe, Downing, Mulgrew, and Williams. When those 4 start, typically Rovers have won. The real questions lie in midfield for January, if there is a holding or playmaking central midfielder out there, along with a winger, I would call that a successful transfer window.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:13 am

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:26 am
I guess I have a different view of Evans. He isn't terrible, serves as a good stop gap from anyone else that League 1 has to offer. I didn't think he did that bad in the past couple matches, thought he was a more positive influence than negative.

As far as the match goes, everyone did well as usual. Nuttall did look like a step behind everything, as if he was lagging in real life. I would like to see that is a good thing, as he is finding what to do right, just needs to be there faster. Tomlinson is looking more present in the squad as of late, and has been a breath of fresh air and legs.

Overall, I think it's clear cut that the back 4 is pretty much settled for the season with Nyambe, Downing, Mulgrew, and Williams. When those 4 start, typically Rovers have won. The real questions lie in midfield for January, if there is a holding or playmaking central midfielder out there, along with a winger, I would call that a successful transfer window.
Graham Carey at Plymouth. He is one of the best play makers in league one.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:10 am

I'd happily see Tomlinson partner Smallwood in midfield with Dack ahead of them.

Thorisgodpoo
Ageing international

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Problem is Carey just signed a new contract and unless there is something in the millions that is offered, there's no chance of getting him.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Thorisgodpoo wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:49 pm
Problem is Carey just signed a new contract and unless there is something in the millions that is offered, there's no chance of getting him.
Carey signed an improved deal with Plymouth after both Sheffield United and Bradford wanted to sign him in the summer. It was an undisclosed improved deal with no imformation for how long it is. I wonder too is it on condition that Plymouth avoid relegation. That shows his quality but to be talking millions for him is extreme. Rovers only paid 750,000 for Dack and other players in this league go for not much more. I definitely think he is what we need in the team. Any doubters only need to see the goal he scored against Rovers earlier this season and the one against Oldham last weekend.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I agree with McTeeth re Tomlinson/Smallwood, but can't help wondering that if Lenihan comes back, will Mowbray be tempted to ask Charlie to play midfield. And despite what went on before I'd have the unregarded Mahoney back from Bournemouth in a heartbeat -exactly the type of player we need, and surely the financial aspect wouldn't be severe?