Peter Whittingham

Discuss all things Rovers related except...
Bloobird27
New signing

Peter Whittingham

Post by Bloobird27 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Cardiff City fan here. I thought I'd see what Rovers fans make of our legend Peter Whittingham.

For me, he was at his best with us until around 2013 when we got to the Premier League and showed the world how unprepared we were for it!

In his earlier City career he was best known for scoring some unbelievably amazing goals, especially free kicks. Our manager at the time, Dave Jones, gave him a lot of freedom in an attacking sense. Malky Mackay tried to make a defensive, more all-round centre midfielder out of him. This had a negative impact on the attacking side of Whitts game.

In more recent seasons for us, our fans were divided in how effective Whittingham was for us, even though he had reached legendary status. His set pieces created a lot of chances even if he created little in open play, where he often appeared slow and, despite the label of playmaker, rarely showed this. In a centre midfield two we would look lost at times when he played and he benefitted from an extra pair of legs in the middle to do the donkey work.

How has he been for you this season? Where has he played?

Thanks

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Re: Peter Whittingham

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm

He has played all over, but mainly central defensive midfielder. My personal opinion is that he has been good cover for the squad, otherwise has shown his age. His mobility is not good, his passing is still great, but I thought when he signed on, Rovers got a real steal. Can't say I would give him a glowing review or a bad review, he has just been average.

yankfan
Promising youngster

Post by yankfan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Average or not noticed from a defensive mid position is when the rolls being played at its best. Providing cover, providing a pivot in back, organizing those in front and connecting passes is all that's asked. It's a role lacking glory.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:49 pm

I'm afraid this lad's best form is well behind him. I don't recollect him having a single shot at goal, never mind score - I know he's described as a 'defensive midfielder' but even they are expected to move towards goal now and again. Not surprised Cardiff let him go.
He's in the same category as Cory Evans and Jason Lowe and should be part of the summer clear out.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 pm

I was glad when he signed, but its somewhat apparent now he's "living the dream"; he still loves the game, but he's not physically what he once was.

It happens to the best of them.