Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

What determines the feeling of a banana skin cliché?

Slippery when wet
No votes
Yield
No votes
25 MPH Speed Limit
No votes
Stop
17%
Duck Crossing
No votes
Amish Buggy
No votes
Men at Work living in a land down under, where women glow and men plunder
25%
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
8%
You better run, you better take cover
No votes
Over-usage of kestrels and gibbons breaking bread and oreos over a plate of hot noodles
17%
The fear of knowing it's tax season and the looming doom that the government might shut down
No votes
I have all the feelings, especially banana skin cliché feelings. I am very familiar with that feeling. And trust me, I have the best banana skin cliché feelings. That is why I am handing down an executive order on clichés, in an attempt to curb the banana skin cliché feeling, and to Make Clichés Great Again!
33%

Total votes: 12

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Need to grab a win here. A draw every other win isn't a bad method, but there's a need to string a couple wins together to push a little harder for promotion. 18 matches left in the season,sitting at 56 points. Looking at the past 5 years, about 90 points is a safe bet for achieving promotion (in 1 case, 94 points).

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Re: Blackburn v Walsall, Tue 30 Jan 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm

The problem with Walsall is they are all six-foot-four and full of muscles. Some of them may be from Brussels, I haven't checked.

Thorisgodpoo
Experienced international star

Post by Thorisgodpoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I wonder if they make vegemite sandwiches.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

They'd just give them away if they did.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am

Like many i sometimes drive passed a football stadium on route down south. Without taking your eye off the road you can make out it is the home of Walsall fc. I then think about during my lifetime have Rovers played Walsall?...so endeth my interest in Walsall. It turns out we have played them some years ago in the league cup and won on penalties. Are we still awake?... :boring: When Rovers play clubs like this it usually is in the early stages of a cup competition. Its a big day out for them to come to a modern stadium and club with a great history. Let them enjoy the best hot chocolate in the league but nothing else. Send them back down the M6 empty handed. Lets have a proper performance and result from a team that wants automatic promotion.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 am
Like many i sometimes drive passed a football stadium on route down south. Without taking your eye off the road you can make out it is the home of Walsall fc. I then think about during my lifetime have Rovers played Walsall?...so endeth my interest in Walsall. It turns out we have played them some years ago in the league cup and won on penalties. Are we still awake?... :boring: When Rovers play clubs like this it usually is in the early stages of a cup competition. Its a big day out for them to come to a modern stadium and club with a great history. Let them enjoy the best hot chocolate in the league but nothing else. Send them back down the M6 empty handed. Lets have a proper performance and result from a team that wants automatic promotion.
I remember going to an away league game at Walsall in the late 80s at their previous stadium. My dad bought tickets for the home end as "neutrals". The game kicked off and we realised most around us were Rovers fans too... :D I'm sure we encountered them again after Hodgson and Kidd got us relegated to the Championship. They may not have as prestigious a collection of trophies as us, but they've had better times too. And all that matters now is that we're both League 1 clubs, so why be disrespectful?

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Back in the late 80's early 90's I spent a lot of time going to gigs at a smallish venue called Junction 10 in Walsall. I've just been looking for it and there's absolutely no trace now, apart from dates on old tour lists. :¬(

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Honoured by the poll.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Rover the Top wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am
Darth Rover wrote:
I remember going to an away league game at Walsall in the late 80s at their previous stadium. My dad bought tickets for the home end as "neutrals". The game kicked off and we realised most around us were Rovers fans too... :D I'm sure we encountered them again after Hodgson and Kidd got us relegated to the Championship. They may not have as prestigious a collection of trophies as us, but they've had better times too. And all that matters now is that we're both League 1 clubs, so why be disrespectful?
Sorry if it came across as disrespectful. It was meant to be more of a challenge to the current Rovers set up. For once there are no complaints about the owners. They have done everything asked of them in support of the manager and team. It is up to them to make sure the season is a successful one. A lot of hard work has been done and Rovers just need to maintain the standards of the last 17 league games. As for the game tonight i would like to see Mr Mowbray make one change. I would like to see Payne start instead of Samuel. There maybe another change with the Mulgrew injury but with Bell at left back with Williams filling the gap left by Mulgrew Rovers should have more than enough to win.

stillgrowling
Promising youngster

Post by stillgrowling » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm

I'd be happy with the Samuel change but after last Saturday Amari Bell would, after Dack, be my first name on the team sheet.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Thats powerful, Darth!

If we're gonna be a bear, lets be a grizzly. No pusillanimous glorifications of Walsall, or cautious optimism. Disembowel, eviscerate, & maim. Cripple, & destroy. And, we must protect our house. Didn't really do it vs Northampton :rtm:

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Thats powerful, Darth!

If we're gonna be a bear, lets be a grizzly. No pusillanimous glorifications of Walsall, or cautious optimism. Disembowel, eviscerate, & maim. Cripple, & destroy. And, we must protect our house. Didn't really do it vs Northampton :rtm:
Too bloody right. We never heard Winston Churchill say 'Well lads go out their and do your best and if we dont win well there is always the next war'. You never heard Eisenhower (one for our American friends) say 'its raining today so we will put off the invasion until June 7th'. Nope these guys had balls, nads the dogs danglies or whatever you wanna call them. A draw isn't good enough for Rovers tonight. Time to man up.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 pm
We never heard Winston Churchill say 'Well lads go out their and do your best and if we dont win well there is always the next war'.
He did say "You do your worst and we will do our best" though. But then I suspect you could get a Churchill quote for absolutely anything.
Darth Rover wrote:
You never heard Eisenhower (one for our American friends) say 'its raining today so we will put off the invasion until June 7th'.
He put it off from the 5th to the 6th due to bad weather of course. I'm not sure what you are saying here to be honest. Who are the Germans tonight exactly?

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
WacoRover wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 pm
Darth Rover wrote:
Thats powerful, Darth!

Too bloody right. We never heard Winston Churchill say 'Well lads go out their and do your best and if we dont win well there is always the next war'. You never heard Eisenhower (one for our American friends) say 'its raining today so we will put off the invasion until June 7th'. Nope these guys had balls, nads the dogs danglies or whatever you wanna call them. A draw isn't good enough for Rovers tonight. Time to man up.
Churchill & Ike both. That is POWER. Dammit, you are my kinda guy! :mygod:

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:53 pm

Historically hazy?