Portsmouth v Blackburn Rovers, Tue 13/2 2018, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

There is nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

What is blessing the rains down in Africa?
20%
What is dressing the grains down in this African dish?
No votes
What is Missing the trains by Eddie Vedder and the Fibbon Gibbons?
No votes
Who is Missy Elliott and the Krazy Kestrels?
30%
I have talked to those hundred men a lot. They are good men. Many Men. Strong Men. They all have names. I remember one of them, Igor, and I had a conversation with him, along with all the rest of the hundred men. Let me tell you, they can do more than you think. I will make sure that each hundred men gets everything that they could ever do, and more. They are going to have so much, they will be saying, I have to give this back, I do so much. I will take it back, that's right, and that's how we are going to Make Puffy Shirts Fashionable Again.
10%
No votes
A box of Chocolate Lucky Charms giving you a paper cut, nearly ruining your experience of eating 2 servings at once, and get out of here with that skim milk business.
No votes

Total votes: 10

Duggywerefab
Promising youngster

Re: Portsmouth v Blackburn Rovers, Tue 13/2 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Duggywerefab » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Last time i played football it was still jumpers for goal posts. You picked the best footballers first and then your best friend. The fat nerdy one who was really good at school but rubbish at all sporty stuff got picked last and ended up in the nets. That was in the juniors. In the teen years the really good footballer fancied himself as a goalie. Mainly because he was tall and no one was going to argue with him and it gave him the opportunity to talk to his girlfriend of that week. Of course guarding the onion bag had its other perks too. You didnt get you boots dirty with that silly running around and on freezing cold days you got to wear tracky bottoms and gloves.

Love this trip down memory lane thanks Darth Rover. I remember one junior school game at Sett End in a Force 8 gale, more puddles than grass and puncing up-brew (ie normal conditions) where our nerdy goaly couldn't kick the wet heavy case ball out of the pen area when we had a goal kick. We all tried but in the end only the teacher, Mr Ainsworth could manage it to re-start the game. I think our goaly huddled behind the post that day, slowly dying, at least we could run around to pretend being warm. With apologies to Monty Python "Eeeee, Footballers of today...." :)

Duggy

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Duggywerefab wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm
Last time i played football it was still jumpers for goal posts. You picked the best footballers first and then your best friend. The fat nerdy one who was really good at school but rubbish at all sporty stuff got picked last and ended up in the nets. That was in the juniors. In the teen years the really good footballer fancied himself as a goalie. Mainly because he was tall and no one was going to argue with him and it gave him the opportunity to talk to his girlfriend of that week. Of course guarding the onion bag had its other perks too. You didnt get you boots dirty with that silly running around and on freezing cold days you got to wear tracky bottoms and gloves.

Love this trip down memory lane thanks Darth Rover. I remember one junior school game at Sett End in a Force 8 gale, more puddles than grass and puncing up-brew (ie normal conditions) where our nerdy goaly couldn't kick the wet heavy case ball out of the pen area when we had a goal kick. We all tried but in the end only the teacher, Mr Ainsworth could manage it to re-start the game. I think our goaly huddled behind the post that day, slowly dying, at least we could run around to pretend being warm. With apologies to Monty Python "Eeeee, Footballers of today...." :)

Duggy
Duggy it was the late 70's and early 80's for me where the teachers or torturers would have us playing football in all weathers. The only time games where cancelled was when the teachers were off ill and then it was the dreaded country dancing with the girls. Kids have easy these days.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Rotherham did us a favor today, knocking off shrews.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:26 pm

WacoRover wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:38 pm
Rotherham did us a favor today, knocking off shrews.
I was tipping Rotherham for the play offs but there is no stopping them at the moment.

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm

They are really in good form of late.