Portsmouth v Blackburn Rovers, Tue 13/2 2018, KO 19:45

Discuss all things Rovers related except...

There is nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

What is blessing the rains down in Africa?
20%
What is dressing the grains down in this African dish?
No votes
What is Missing the trains by Eddie Vedder and the Fibbon Gibbons?
No votes
Who is Missy Elliott and the Krazy Kestrels?
30%
I have talked to those hundred men a lot. They are good men. Many Men. Strong Men. They all have names. I remember one of them, Igor, and I had a conversation with him, along with all the rest of the hundred men. Let me tell you, they can do more than you think. I will make sure that each hundred men gets everything that they could ever do, and more. They are going to have so much, they will be saying, I have to give this back, I do so much. I will take it back, that's right, and that's how we are going to Make Puffy Shirts Fashionable Again.
10%
No votes
A box of Chocolate Lucky Charms giving you a paper cut, nearly ruining your experience of eating 2 servings at once, and get out of here with that skim milk business.
No votes

Total votes: 10

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Re: Portsmouth v Blackburn Rovers, Tue 13/2 2018, KO 19:45

Post by Darth Rover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm

STRETCH!!!!!!!! :hyper:

WacoRover
Ageing international
Location: another dimension, not only of sight & sound, but mind

Post by WacoRover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I got busy at work, thus, I missed the 2nd half. Needless to say, I am elated by the result! Not surprised, as Blackburn Rovers have played the better teams very well this season.

What happened on Travis' red card? Couldn't he stifle his reckless impulses for just a couple more minutes?

Mowbray didn't get the clean sheet. Oh well, no complaining.
At any rate, its 3 pts, on the road, vs a tough side. I am well-satisfied.

thehatts
Ageing international

Post by thehatts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 pm

Big result. Another couple of slips ups from Wigan would be nice.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 pm

That was a hard fought win. Portsmouth made life difficult at times and was a game with a bit of needle to it. Hence Travis with that late rash challenge.

Particularly in the first half when we had the ball we looked lively and dangerous. We created enough chances to get more than a goal ahead and if anything were perhaps guilty of overplaying it a touch in the final third.

We were then guilty of cheaply giving the ball away and ultimately getting ourselves into a bit of a mess for their goal. But thankfully Armstrong was quickest to a lose ball and both his finishes were clinical.

By the sound of it Nyambe is completely fine. Was bleeding from the mouth but had just bitten his tongue. At the time it looked like a bad back injury with him going off on a stretcher.

Freezing cold but great result.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 am

Nice to get back to winning ways, and just a point off the top now.

Ethiaa
Site Admin

Post by Ethiaa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am

Some abberations in those games in hand would be nice :D

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Wigan will have 3 games in hand after this weekend :o

Dan
Unemployed ex-pro

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Rochdale will have 5.
Granted, they aren't exactly challenging us for the top :D

stillgrowling
New signing

Post by stillgrowling » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Litening to Radio Lancs it sounded as though Raya had a stinker, rushing out, missing high balls etc.
If anyone saw the match could we have an opinion? Perhaps it's time Leutwiler got his chance

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm

stillgrowling wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm
Litening to Radio Lancs it sounded as though Raya had a stinker, rushing out, missing high balls etc.
If anyone saw the match could we have an opinion? Perhaps it's time Leutwiler got his chance
I have my doubts about Raya all season. If you look at the great Rovers keepers like Friedel and Flowers they gained you value points over a season which made a big difference in where you finished. Raya has not to my mind made any game saving saves. He looks good at saving shots but looks very vulnerable when being challenged by big burly centre forwards and more often than not the ball has ended up in the Rovers net. I dont think Leutwiller will be any better. I would say there are few outstanding goal keepers in league one and those that are good are usually on loan from premier league clubs. I would stick with Raya as number one mainly because at the moment there is no better choice. Come summer though and if we are promoted Rovers will have to look at alternatives.

Darth Rover
Ageing international

Post by Darth Rover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm

mcteeth wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 pm
Wigan will have 3 games in hand after this weekend :o
Cross fingers Wigan beat or even better draw with Man City and Rotherham do us a favour at Shrewsbury.

mcteeth
Ageing international

Post by mcteeth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm
stillgrowling wrote:
I have my doubts about Raya all season. If you look at the great Rovers keepers like Friedel and Flowers they gained you value points over a season which made a big difference in where you finished. Raya has not to my mind made any game saving saves. He looks good at saving shots but looks very vulnerable when being challenged by big burly centre forwards and more often than not the ball has ended up in the Rovers net. I dont think Leutwiller will be any better. I would say there are few outstanding goal keepers in league one and those that are good are usually on loan from premier league clubs. I would stick with Raya as number one mainly because at the moment there is no better choice. Come summer though and if we are promoted Rovers will have to look at alternatives.
I think that's a touch harsh on Raya.

I was there last night and thought he was fine, his main issue is kicking and as per usual her binned a couple of goal kicks straight out of touch but that seems par for the course at the moment.

It was a very greasy pitch and when he was called upon to make a few good saves yesterday he not only saved comfortably but also held onto the ball or kept it out of danger. He did flap at a cross for their goal before it then came back in from the other side but most of the team could have done better collectively to stop that. Also this was a Kenny Jackett side that seemed well versed in some of the darker arts in the game, Raya had Pitman and a couple of others all over him on every corner and when catching crosses and all things considered bar the goal I seem to remember him coming out and catching the crosses he should take control of.

Wasn't it only a few weeks back he made an astonishingly good saved in game we went on to win if memory serves? For me, kicking aside, he's felt like a step up from Steele and he can work on his kicking which I'm sure he probably does.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 am

Darth Rover wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm
stillgrowling wrote:
I think it needs to be said that Flowers and Friedel were international class players, with few better around in the country at the time we had them. If we had someone like that now then we probably wouldn't keep them for very long. But I generally agree. Goalkeeper has been a weak spot in my view for some time. Raya is adequate at League 1 level, especially with a good team in front of him. But if we are promoted, then I'd see it as a key area to strengthen.

Gibbon
Promising manager

Post by Gibbon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am

I think Raya has done a good job at this level and greatly contributed to the confidence of those on front of him. I’d say he’s the best keeper we’ve had since Robinson, and possibly even better than him towards the end of his time at our club.

Obviously he’s nowhere near Friedel’s or Flower’s standard, but he’s got a lot of potential and still plenty of time to improve.

I’d like to see us hold on to him and see how he develops in the Championship if we manage to get there.

Rover the Top
Experienced manager

Post by Rover the Top » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 am

Gibbon wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am
I’d say he’s the best keeper we’ve had since Robinson,
That's a roundabout way of saying he's better than Steele... :yeahright: